Catch Oregon State vs Colorado State today at 1:30

Look, I _tolerate_ Fleck's narrative.
But as someone who has been dumping thousands of dollars into this program, it rubs me the wrong way.
Wake up the sleeping giant, culture shift, rebuilding project.
Minnesota football has been through situations that required that before, this isn't one of them.
Fleck is walking into a gift situation that Kill (as much of a distraction as he was) built for him.
New facilities, strong defensive talent, weak OOC scheduling, etc.
He can sell our program to the recruits like that if he wants, but don't tell me that I should be happy with a four win season.

Issues with OL, QB, DL even DB questions...

Historically a poor recruiting team.

Faculties are nice and all but I wouldn't call Minnesota a "gift".

Issues with OL, QB, DL even DB questions...

Historically a poor recruiting team.

Faculties are nice and all but I wouldn't call Minnesota a "gift".

Probably more of a gift than any first year coach at Minnesota has ever been given.

Oddly enough, going back to the Mason years, many of the "best" (?) Gopher wins have been on the road.

Not sure why, and wish they had more of them any Home, but probably means that they're not that intimidated on the road.

How many current players were on those Mason teams, please remind me....

Never said I'm worried about it or that we will struggle. It's an unknown though.

How can anyone expect us to just cruise in this game? Kent St, Ohio, @CSU, Oregon St, CSU...these were all one score games over the last two years. So now with a brand new qb, coach, and system in place we should expect to crush these bad teams simply because we won 9 games last year? Some people seem to think any kind of step back in year one would be a disaster, regardless of what heights are reached in year 2,3,4 or beyond. My expectations for Fleck aren't going to be met or failed in the first year.

How can anyone expect us to just cruise in this game? Kent St, Ohio, @CSU, Oregon St, CSU...these were all one score games over the last two years. So now with a brand new qb, coach, and system in place we should expect to crush these bad teams simply because we won 9 games last year? Some people seem to think any kind of step back in year one would be a disaster, regardless of what heights are reached in year 2,3,4 or beyond. My expectations for Fleck aren't going to be met or failed in the first year.

Did you watch today's game? OSU was atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally, not one poster mentioned 9 wins in that context in this thread, not one. Nice try.

How many current players were on those Mason teams, please remind me....

"Going back to" was too difficult for you to understand huh? Should have typed "since".

They probably can remember victories over WSU at the Holiday Bowl, Michigan, at Michigan, in Detroit against Central Michigan and Nebraska. Maybe even a few more.

Unlike yourself, they may not wet themselves thinking about playing on the road...

Happy now? :D

Who was our head coach the 2nd half of 2015?

Yep, that's right. Claeys wasn't the Head Coach starting the season, he didn't get to prepare for the season as a head coach and got the job in the middle of a tumultuous time.

He did indeed get that half season as head coach that you are talking about. Hard to believe people can think he had 2 full seasons as a head coach.

Don't know why people keep saying it either.

The Claeysites loved Tracy and are embarrassed by PJ's way of doing things. They can't wait to tell us how big of a mistake it was to fire Tracy. With the expectation of 9 wins, they have created the perfect scenario for themselves. If PJ wins early, it was because of all the talent Tracy left behind. If he doesn't, it was a mistake to fire a 9 win coach.

Did you watch today's game? OSU was atrocious.

That Kent state team we squeaked by got beat 52-3 in the first game of their season. Rutgers was atrocious last year, we barely got by them. This program is not at a point where we can just expect to roll bad fcs teams. I mean you can expect it if you want, but you will be disappointed.

The Claeysites loved Tracy and are embarrassed by PJ's way of doing things. They can't wait to tell us how big of a mistake it was to fire Tracy. With the expectation of 9 wins, they have created the perfect scenario for themselves. If PJ wins early, it was because of all the talent Tracy left behind. If he doesn't, it was a mistake to fire a 9 win coach.

Nobody should be embarrassed by Fleck's "way of doing things". His team won 13 games last year and 7 and 8 games the years before. Even with all kinds of people looking at his background, they can't find anybody who says that his persona is less than sincere. When he's talking "off the cuff" he seems even more likable and sincere.

He should do a good job here. Maybe even a great job.

Don't understand the need to re-write history to denigrate the previous coaching staff. Don't understand the odd assumption that Fleck and Company can only coach players that they recruited. That taking over a team and doing well is beyond their abilities.

Well, maybe do understand why people say it. Just seems pretty asinine .

Nobody should be embarrassed by Fleck's "way of doing things. His team won 13 games last year and 7 and 8 games the years before. Even with all kinds of people looking at his background, they can't find anybody who says that his persona is less than sincere. When he's talking "off the cuff" he seems even more likable and sincere.

He should do a good job here. Maybe even a great job.

Don't understand the need to re-write history to denigrate the previous coaching staff. Don't understand the odd assumption that Fleck and Company can only coach players that they recruiting. That taking over a team and doing well is beyond their abilities.

Well, maybe do understand why people do it. Just seems pretty asinine .

Spot on.

This was going to be a rebuild year even if Claeys were still coach. How do you think we would have looked with Seth Green at QB? I hope the people who say Claeys got fired for going 9-4 are being disingenuous. He got fired because the people in charge didn't have faith he could do the job long term. Would we have gone 9-4 against the 2015 schedule last year? No. We pissed our pants whenever we played anyone with a pulse. I liked Claeys but it was pretty clear this program was headed downward and this would have been the year it found itself below .500. Last year we had to comeback against inferior teams like Oregon St and Rutgers. We lucked out against Maryland and faced their 4th string QB. On the flip side we lost 4th quarter leads in all 4 loses. No doubt 9-4 is impressive but dig a little deeper and examine the details and it loses its luster. I expect us to make a bowl as we have a reasonable schedule again and now with Oregon St appearing to have taken a big step backwards I like our chances even more. We are shifting gears on offense pretty dramatically so there are bound to be growing pains but I believe not being one dimensional will help.

What amazes me the most about the whole Claeys faction is how back in 2010 when Kill got hired fans were upset that we didn't get a big name coach. In 2009 many of these same fans wanted Brewster fired after a bowl season. I seem to recall a local sports journalist ranting about why put off firing Brewster even though you know you will have to in the future. Now we have an AD who fires a coach whose long term trajectory was low before we hit rock bottom and hires a big name coach and some people act like it is a bad move. I don't get it. Do we want to compete or not? If Fleck had taken the Purdue job and Claeys wasn't fired which program do you honestly think would be better in 3 years. I think the answer is obvious but I am sure someone will come up some argument.

This was going to be a rebuild year even if Claeys were still coach. How do you think we would have looked with Seth Green at QB? I hope the people who say Claeys got fired for going 9-4 are being disingenuous. .

You have read people say he was fired because of going 9-4? Hilarious!

Couldn't read any farther. Can't stop laughing. Assume you mentioned that they played without the suspended players against Colorado State, Penn State, Rutgers and WSU. Or that they had to start a very unexperienced QB against Maryland. No matter. Everything past that "9-4" thing would be pretty superfluous. Maybe will get back to reading it latter.

You say people think he was fired for going 9-4? Not because Coyle had been in contact with P.J., since he wanted him to be the H.C. at Syracuse? Or because of the Scandal but because he went 9-4? Wonder if you talked about all the people who are upset they hired Fleck too? That would have made it doubly funny! :D

Nicely played. Satire on a Sunday is always welcome. :drink:

Yes it is. His 2nd year as the Gophers HC.

Calling it his 2nd year is very transparent of your agenda. You must be kidding. Interim coaches are called something different for a reason. Did TC have an offseason before the 2nd half of '15 to bring in different coordinators he wanted, implement changes to the system he saw fit, motivate the players his way, bring in a recruiting class with the skills he wanted to fit his ideas, etc., etc. Nope - not until before the '16 season did he do any of that. And, then he did all of that.

Transparent, and to be honest, an incredibly weak take on here for you JG. I often don't agree with your takes, but they are usually solid and based in reality - not Lala land. Usually.

Wow. That's a pretty rigid and narrow definition. The only way you can like Tracy Claeys is by being embarrased by Fleck. News for you buddy, I liked Tracy Claeys. I am not embarrased by Fleck.

It was not a mistake to fire Claeys, but it was handled poorly.

I do expect to win nine games, but I won't be shocked if we don't

If PJ wins early it is because he is the coach and he coached a team to those wins. I will also acknowledge that his task was made easier based on the tools that were left behind, including, but not limited to a team full of high character guys and a great academic standing as measured by APR and by overall team GPA.

If PJ Fleck wins 5 games, I will be less than impressed with his ability, but I don't think it was a mistake to fire Tracy Claeys.

If he wins one game, I will really be disappointed and expect Mark Coyle to be fired (He won't be, we didn't change the culture at the top where it needs to be changed) but I won't think it was a mistake to fire Tracy Claeys.

Hiring Tim Brewster was a massive mistake under any circumstances. Hiring PJ Fleck was a calculated risk - he may be the next Ara Parseghian, Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, coming out of the MAC. Or the next Darrel Hazel. While we'll know in a few years time for sure, we'll begin to get an indication in less than a week.

The world is not black and white. Painting everyone with such a broad brush does one thing, and one thing only - continues this ridiculous battle that has shaped up into a two groups of people - those that think everything PJ Fleck does is absolutely perfect how dare you disagree with anything, and Everyone else.

I have seen far more rigidity and obstinance coming from the Flecksters who feel everything he does is the greatest thing that has ever been done, ever. period. paragraph. AND then attack anyone who even suggests that something he has said or done wasn't 100% accurate and absolutely the exact best and most accurate and unquestionable genius thing ever said, done, or thought, ever.

Or hanging on to the notion that someone who was officially the head coach for 2 games in the 2015 season was a two year head coach - but not giving him any credit for how he kept the team together and playing hard with all of the turmoil going on around the program AND that he coached a bowl game that year because of the character and academic progress of the team. Claeys is gone. He deserves to be. Stop imitating Mark Coyle and working to trash him. We can look back and say, good guy, good coach, and gone for a reason without acting like Sherman through Atlanta about anything and everything he did while here. Like the blind faith in all things PJ Fleck, it's pedantic, and pathetic.

That Kent state team we squeaked by got beat 52-3 in the first game of their season. Rutgers was atrocious last year, we barely got by them. This program is not at a point where we can just expect to roll bad fcs teams. I mean you can expect it if you want, but you will be disappointed.

All valid points. You asked how could people expect an easy win and I answered your question. I don't expect an easy win vs OSU, but after watching them yesterday I do expect a win. Just as I did vs Kent St, and Rutgers. Rolling teams isn't important to me - a win is a win in my book. No * required.

Caught the highlights from the game and I think we'll be fine when we play them. Anything can happen and it won't be easy but I can certainly see a win.

When they showed the Crying Jordan followed by the fumble, all I could think of was this:

+1

The stadium has never been "half empty" and never will be.

Guess what? In the end we have never needed "fans like you", and never will. You are not "fans". I would take a core of 30,000 die hard fans over a full stadiums full of morons...like you. Oh, and welcome to the "ignore list".

You weren't at the Northwestern game last year were you......

Wow. That's a pretty rigid and narrow definition. The only way you can like Tracy Claeys is by being embarrased by Fleck. News for you buddy, I liked Tracy Claeys. I am not embarrased by Fleck.

It was not a mistake to fire Claeys, but it was handled poorly.....etc., etc,

Yep. Nice post.

Top Bottom