'Being P.J. Fleck' gave Gophers coach a 'priceless' pass into restricted living rooms

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Timing, it’s been said, is everything.

And for the Gophers football coach, the timing of the four-part documentary series “Being P.J. Fleck” couldn’t have been better.

With Aug. 1-31 as an NCAA-mandated recruiting dead period for college football programs, coaches couldn’t get their message to recruits and sell the merits of their program. But “Being P.J. Fleck” aired on Wednesdays on ESPNU from Aug. 2-23, putting the first-year Gophers coach in front of an otherwise untouchable audience.

“It’s a dead period in August, but there was one team that wasn’t dead on national television, and that was the University of Minnesota,” Fleck said Friday, less than a week before Thursday’s season opener against Buffalo at TCF Bank Stadium.

Fleck certainly saw the value in the exposure.

“You make sure people know that we’re going to be on TV at this time, and now Mom, Dad, brother, sister, the recruits are sitting in that room watching it, when no one else [among college coaches] can have the contact with them,” he said.

“That’s priceless. I don’t think you can ever put a price on that in terms of recruiting.”

http://m.startribune.com/being-p-j-...ricted-living-rooms/441790213/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Still can't believe we have him as our coach.

My concern is that if he turns out to be as good as many expect, teams with huge tradition like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Miami ect will come calling. We probably would match the salary, but a guy like Fleck wants to be the next Saban, so would he stay?

My concern is that if he turns out to be as good as many expect, teams with huge tradition like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, USC, LSU, Miami ect will come calling. We probably would match the salary, but a guy like Fleck wants to be the next Saban, so would he stay?

Why is that a problem for a coach to build up our program to a point where traditional powers want him?

Are you saying you'd rather win 7-8 games a year and keep a coach here for a decade-plus, or to win 10 or 11 games and have our coach poached in 5 years?

Why is that a problem for a coach to build up our program to a point where traditional powers want him?

Are you saying you'd rather win 7-8 games a year and keep a coach here for a decade-plus, or to win 10 or 11 games and have our coach poached in 5 years?

Thing is, I'm not sure we fans give enough credit to our conference or the U of M football tradition. If a coach gets 10 or 11 wins in the B1G TEN with Minnesota, there are not a lot of greener pastures out there, guys. There's a reason we don't often see B1G HCs getting poached.

I'd be more worried about Meyer/Harbaugh retiring than him leaving for any school down south

To be honest, we don't know if MN is a "stepping stone" program because the Gophers have not had a coach since Lou Holtz who actually was able to leave the Gophers for a better job. Since Holtz, No Gopher coach has been successful enough to become a viable candidate for moving up to a helmet school.

So, 2 questions here:

1. Will Fleck have enough success with the Gophers to warrant attention from traditional powers?

2. If Fleck does receive that attention, does he answer the phone call? (and what advice would Glen Mason give him......)

Only time will tell.

I'm just going to enjoy the ride. Even though Holtz leaving was very painful, I'm going to believe that PJ will stay and we will return to the Golden Gopher glory days.

Another reminder. There were only 8 or 10 teams (I've heard both) that Fleck said he would've left Western Michigan for. Maybe you don't believe him, but I do.

I wonder how many of them he would leave Minnesota for.....I can't imagine it's much more than half of those numbers. And even if he would be willing to go to these places, how many of them would be willing to adopt the complete RTB culture Fleck implements?

Iowa, MSU, NW, WI have all had coaches succeed at a high level and stick around for a long time. Its not a given that a coach will bounce

If he starts winning championships with the new athletic village at his disposal and the U opening up the purse strings and commitment to Gopher Football and to athletics in general, will he really want to move knowing that he can build a lasting legacy here?

Who knows.

Either way he decides when he does win championships, Minnesota will be better because of him.

per Randy:

Timing, it’s been said, is everything.

And for the Gophers football coach, the timing of the four-part documentary series “Being P.J. Fleck” couldn’t have been better.

With Aug. 1-31 as an NCAA-mandated recruiting dead period for college football programs, coaches couldn’t get their message to recruits and sell the merits of their program. But “Being P.J. Fleck” aired on Wednesdays on ESPNU from Aug. 2-23, putting the first-year Gophers coach in front of an otherwise untouchable audience.

“It’s a dead period in August, but there was one team that wasn’t dead on national television, and that was the University of Minnesota,” Fleck said Friday, less than a week before Thursday’s season opener against Buffalo at TCF Bank Stadium.

Fleck certainly saw the value in the exposure.

“You make sure people know that we’re going to be on TV at this time, and now Mom, Dad, brother, sister, the recruits are sitting in that room watching it, when no one else [among college coaches] can have the contact with them,” he said.

“That’s priceless. I don’t think you can ever put a price on that in terms of recruiting.”

http://m.startribune.com/being-p-j-...ricted-living-rooms/441790213/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Yes, it is helpful.

Top Bottom