Maple Grove's Jake Wieneke didn't get Gophers offer, but he'll likely get NFL call

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Jake Wieneke’s childhood football idol, like many kids growing up in Minnesota in the late 1990s and early 2000s, was Vikings star Randy Moss.

And as Wieneke’s football career took shape, he ended up resembling Moss’ physical stature as a 6-foot-4 wide receiver at Maple Grove.

He had the size. His high school numbers were impressive. But that wasn’t enough.

Not enough to overshadow one poor 40-yard dash performance at a Gophers camp in 2012, according to Wieneke’s high school coach Matt Lombardi.

“He was battling a foot injury at that time,” Lombardi said. “That was something that hurt him back then. He was a big kid, but (the Gophers) were worried about his speed. I’m happy for Jake that he went somewhere where they wanted him — and he’s had an unbelievable career.”

Not getting a Minnesota scholarship offer ended up being the best thing to happen to his career.

Now a South Dakota State senior receiver, Wieneke is rated by pro scouting services as Football Championship Subdivision’s No. 1 prospect and a top-10 player at his position for the 2018 NFL Draft.

One of the best players from Minnesota playing college football right now doesn’t hold any grudges against the home state Big Ten program for not believing in him.

“I wanted to go to Minnesota,” Wieneke said Monday. “I wanted to stay home and play there, but I just love it out here at South Dakota State. I couldn’t ask for a better place. These coaches and this program are something special.”

http://www.startribune.com/maple-gr...r-but-he-ll-likey-get-the-nfl-call/441764583/

Go Gophers!!

The Jackrabbits also sniped Zach Zenner. That's a couple of good ones that were overlooked.

The Jackrabbits also sniped Zach Zenner. That's a couple of good ones that were overlooked.

Zenner was more of an issue of him not blowing up until his senior year. Big schools already filled their classes.

No idea about maple grove guy

I am not sure if anyone else was watching last year when SDSU went down to Fort Worth to play TCU, but on that night they gave TCU a much better game than Jerry Kill's 2014 team did. My recollection was that Jake W. had a massive game. It was a shootout in the 40s vs the vaunted TCU defense.

I am not sure if anyone else was watching last year when SDSU went down to Fort Worth to play TCU, but on that night they gave TCU a much better game than Jerry Kill's 2014 team did. My recollection was that Jake W. had a massive game. It was a shootout in the 40s vs the vaunted TCU defense.

Right, but SDSU didn't play (12-1) 2014 TCU. Meanwhile, in 2016, TCU lost more than they won and had an awful defense.

True, but it was one great performance in game one on the road in Fort Worth.

Top Bottom