P.J. Fleck's press conference previewing the Buffalo game (Video)

GopherLady

Reaction score
I wasn't able to attend, but loved some of the clips I saw. Here's the whole thing...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zqgbzjrc04Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was fun to watch. It's on Gophersports.com. That guy is going to create a sh^t ton of excitement. Again, MN lucky as hell to have him! RTB! Ski U Mah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was fun to watch. It's on Gophersports.com. That guy is going to create a sh^t ton of excitement. Again, MN lucky as hell to have him! RTB! Ski U Mah!

Absolutely!!! Got the whole family excited with "Being PJ Fleck".... definitely going to more games this year then usual one per year.

"We can create the next powerhouse in the conference".

I like the sound of that.

I wasn't able to attend, but loved some of the clips I saw. Here's the whole thing...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zqgbzjrc04Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thought I'd add the hype video here. BTW This is longer than the other video posted.

The reply around minute 20 is pure gold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. 24 carat at 20 minutes.

Analogous to Coach Kill after the Michigan debacle saying "you gotta have faith in something."

That's why the game is played. You gotta be excited to see what actually transpires on the field.

Hope springs eternal.

Gotta love the way PJ handles press conferences. Really hard to not like the guy watching this kind of conference.

Must Listen

Cliff notes anybody?

I'd say 19:35 or so to 21:55 or so is a must listen. Gold, as some like to say. Lots of insight to the real guy coaching the Gophers. That guy I like!!!

He is kind of calling out the media here and it's a bit of a masterful game that he's playing.

He says to the media, he's excited. I don't know about you guys (the media) if you're always just even keel, but there are a lot of unknowns and someone is going to have to step up, and that's the exciting part.

The Twin Cities media who has been covering the Gophers for the last 30 years could get by just being lazy, and PJ is starting to hold them to a higher standard in that he's asking them "Aren't you excited?"

An impartial media can (and a lazy one) can just say "No. We just report". But he's already leading them down the path of aren't you looking for stories on who's going to be the next players to step up? Aren't you excited to see who can play better.

If you're covering the Gophers right now, you can be lazy, and just use PJ soundbites and call it good enough, but then you know what you are going to get.
Or, if you want to work and do your job actively, you can start looking for stories on players, what they do, who might break out, what their life on campus consists of, etc.

If you're going to want to sit back and just be a hater, he's going to challenge you to do more. You can just say "I don't like PJ" but he's going to push you to do more work. "Okay, you don't like me. What do you think of the players and other coaches? You don't like them either, why do you feel that way? Did you sit down and talk with any of them? Did you walk in their footsteps for a week or two to learn about them? No, why not? You just want to report on their life the 0.2 seconds that he dropped that pass, or are you going to judge them based on their whole week?"

The guy is doing so much right, and he's winning each battle as he goes including with the media.

He's going to be calling out (not by name) any reporter who isn't passionate about reporting.

Face: the job of the media is to cover the team. The coach does not get to tell the media how to do their job. Unless the media also gets to tell the coach how to do his job.

If you don't like the way the media is covering the team, you have the right to not read, watch or listen to the media. You can also send letters, e-mails, etc to the media expressing your opinion.

But expecting or thinking that the media is going to adopt some common approach to covering the team is wishful thinking.

Each member of the media will cover the team as they (and their bosses) see fit.

Sports print media here really varies from most markets in the nation.

My best experience is in Atlanta. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution covers UGA, Ga Tech, and now over the past few years Kennesaw State and Georgia State as the slate of "home" teams. Of course there's practically alumni from every other SEC and ACC school in the city and suburbs.

How these home teams are covered is night and day versus what we see here. And there's a lot of them.

What's derisively called "homerism" here is recognizing there (and elsewhere) how to maximize interest in market coverage by providing stories, information, insights, and yes "opinion yea or nay" that the fans enjoy...and yes, even want. Since Atlanta has every pro sports team as does the Twin Cities, that excuse does not fly with that comparison.

Back to the original point, this is what I heard from Coach Fleck in that piece. Basically, making the local college team newsworthy can be actually interesting, and even exciting, without compromising journalistic integrity.

Why this can be done here in this market for the Vikings and not the Gophers continues to elude me...especially in the era where clicks are increasingly what matters.

Fortunately, GopherHole fills some of this void for me. Not saying what is here in print media is bad or wrong...I gave up on it a long time ago...but I don't think it's the norm nationally.

Face: the job of the media is to cover the team. The coach does not get to tell the media how to do their job. Unless the media also gets to tell the coach how to do his job.

If you don't like the way the media is covering the team, you have the right to not read, watch or listen to the media. You can also send letters, e-mails, etc to the media expressing your opinion.

But expecting or thinking that the media is going to adopt some common approach to covering the team is wishful thinking.

Each member of the media will cover the team as they (and their bosses) see fit.

I am not saying he "Tells the media" how to cover the team.

But how you interface with the media is going to affect the coverage you get.
PJ is already doing a very good job of this (I think that's putting this modestly). The amount of content he is producing that is positive for this program is wonderful.

By managing the media relations portion of the program a lot better, it will give Mark Coyle and Eric Kaler a lot less headaches and make their jobs a lot easier.
PJ is doing a great job of managing upwards through his chain of management where Coyle and Kaler barely need to say a word about the program.

The media can continue to be lazy, but the amount of positive news that is being created by Fleck is going to make any media-potshot (like Reusse's garbage) look lazy in comparison.

You know Reusse is just sitting waiting to let his next column rip as soon as we lose to Oregon St or whoever, and he's going to be all over it. But with the work PJ is doing being present just about everywhere, it cripples the ability for some ink-stained wretch the ability to lower PJ's credibility with a single column.

We all know that Reusse has PJ Fleck all primed for Turkey of the Year this year and it's not close at this point, and much of the media covering Gopher football has been as lazy in finding positive points because it's easier to be lazy.

The lazy columns write themselves after our first loss against whoever it will be. They write themselves just by reading the negative anti-Fleck comments on here. It takes a little work to actually get to know the players, realized they are treating girls with more respect, learning how to ask girls out, etc. But media personnel aren't always the hardest working people, especially in MN where we have so many sports teams, most of the columns write themselves.

I am not saying he "Tells the media" how to cover the team.

But how you interface with the media is going to affect the coverage you get.
PJ is already doing a very good job of this (I think that's putting this modestly). The amount of content he is producing that is positive for this program is wonderful.

By managing the media relations portion of the program a lot better, it will give Mark Coyle and Eric Kaler a lot less headaches and make their jobs a lot easier.
PJ is doing a great job of managing upwards through his chain of management where Coyle and Kaler barely need to say a word about the program.

The media can continue to be lazy, but the amount of positive news that is being created by Fleck is going to make any media-potshot (like Reusse's garbage) look lazy in comparison.

You know Reusse is just sitting waiting to let his next column rip as soon as we lose to Oregon St or whoever, and he's going to be all over it. But with the work PJ is doing being present just about everywhere, it cripples the ability for some ink-stained wretch the ability to lower PJ's credibility with a single column.

We all know that Reusse has PJ Fleck all primed for Turkey of the Year this year and it's not close at this point, and much of the media covering Gopher football has been as lazy in finding positive points because it's easier to be lazy.

The lazy columns write themselves after our first loss against whoever it will be. They write themselves just by reading the negative anti-Fleck comments on here. It takes a little work to actually get to know the players, realized they are treating girls with more respect, learning how to ask girls out, etc. But media personnel aren't always the hardest working people, especially in MN where we have so many sports teams, most of the columns write themselves.

And you are a TROLL.

Sports print media here really varies from most markets in the nation.

My best experience is in Atlanta. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution covers UGA, Ga Tech, and now over the past few years Kennesaw State and Georgia State as the slate of "home" teams. Of course there's practically alumni from every other SEC and ACC school in the city and suburbs.

How these home teams are covered is night and day versus what we see here. And there's a lot of them.

What's derisively called "homerism" here is recognizing there (and elsewhere) how to maximize interest in market coverage by providing stories, information, insights, and yes "opinion yea or nay" that the fans enjoy...and yes, even want. Since Atlanta has every pro sports team as does the Twin Cities, that excuse does not fly with that comparison.

Back to the original point, this is what I heard from Coach Fleck in that piece. Basically, making the local college team newsworthy can be actually interesting, and even exciting, without compromising journalistic integrity.

Why this can be done here in this market for the Vikings and not the Gophers continues to elude me...especially in the era where clicks are increasingly what matters.

Fortunately, GopherHole fills some of this void for me. Not saying what is here in print media is bad or wrong...I gave up on it a long time ago...but I don't think it's the norm nationally.

I think you helped elaborate my point.

When he asked the media "aren't you excited?" he was calling them out. Because to be honest, I can't think of anyone here in 30 years from a media perspective who has been "excited" about the new Gopher season. Instead it's been treated like the dirty little stepchild. We can think of writers and media members like Paul Allen, or Lavelle E Neal, whoever covers the Wild in this town, who you can tell really get excited about the teams they cover. Not really the case for Gopher football except for Justin Gaard who is trumped on his show by Barrerio's skeptical opinions. (during first interview with Fleck, compared him to Brewster).

Fair enough.

I'm going to leave for a week just so I don't ruffle your feathers to much,

I kinda enjoyed PJ's comment at the media about how you at least have to be interested to see how things might go ;)

I kinda enjoyed PJ's comment at the media about how you at least have to be interested to see how things might go ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed it! He's like wake the f up! This is fun! Enjoy it! Embrace it! This is life! He won't take the hum drum or negative stuff for a second. This guy has a positive belief and will that will never be affected.

I thoroughly enjoyed it! He's like wake the f up! This is fun! Enjoy it! Embrace it! This is life! He won't take the hum drum or negative stuff for a second. This guy has a positive belief and will that will never be affected.

Indeed. He's offering them the lowest level of enthusiasm .... not that many will take it. It is telling that some won't.

Fun stuff.

Top Bottom