M Live - Michigan preparing for night games against Michigan State, Minnesota

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2017/08/michigan_prepping_for_night_fo_1.html

ANN ARBOR -- Nothing is finalized, and may not be announced for a while, but the University of Michigan athletic department is planning for a pair of night football games in 2017.

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel told a group of reporters Wednesday the football team's games Oct. 7 against Michigan State and Nov. 4 against Minnesota at Michigan Stadium are under consideration.

The news comes after Warde told the Detroit Free Press back in April Michigan's scheduled game against Michigan State "could" kick off at night.

"There's no update at this point in time," Manuel said.

Michigan's games against MSU and Minnesota are the only home games left on the schedule without an announced kickoff time. All others, including Michigan's marquee game Nov. 25 against Ohio State, are set to start at noon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I feel we will play better in prime time. Despite losing the last 4 games ( Michigan, OSU, Iowa, Nebraska last year) we did play well and without some controversy and a 1 yard longer pass from Mitch, we could have one all of them.

I don't think either of you have the guts to show up in Ann Arbor. You'll get tarred and feathered with your wall-to-wall Gopher partisanship.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yep, that's the plan

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I don't think either of you have the guts to show up in Ann Arbor. You'll get tarred and feathered with your wall-to-wall Gopher partisanship.

One of us is undefeated in Ann Arbor. The other one has to leave the lake for the winter and go to school in a week. Tell me again who is getting tarred and feathered?

You guys do know about text messaging, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody else surprised by the "agrees to play up to two road league night games per year as well"?

The "up to" part may be the most important.

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel told reporters today that the Big Ten has targeted Minnesota and/or Michigan State as possible night games for the Wolverines in 2017. Per the new television contract, Michigan has to host three night games over the course of a two-year span.

So it could play two night games at home this year and one next season. Or vice versa.

"The two potential (night) games we could (host) this year would be Michigan State and Minnesota," Manuel said. "By the contract between the conference and our television partners, we would have to know 12 days in advance. But we haven't heard anything at this point.

"It's 12 days minimum. They could let us know three weeks before. But they have to let us know 12 days before the game occurs, whether or not it'll be a (night) game."..

In the past, teams had more of a say as to who it might host in a night game. Now, with the Big Ten's new television contract, Manuel said Michigan basically has to go with what league and the television networks want.

Manuel still isn't sure when the athletic department will find out if Minnesota and/or Michigan State will be night games. The television contract allows networks to make a decision on kick times during the season.

All this means Michigan will be playing a lot more night games each year moving forward, as each school agrees to play up to two road league night games per year as well. ..

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...higan-wolverines-football-schedule/594430001/

I would love a night game. Already have plane & game tickets, a couch to sleep on! The Big House under the lights after tailgating on the golf course all day would be superb! Hope it's 65-70 like last year as well

I would love a night game. Already have plane & game tickets, a couch to sleep on! The Big House under the lights after tailgating on the golf course all day would be superb! Hope it's 65-70 like last year as well

I have tix as well and agree fully. Make it happen MI!!!!

I'll be traveling to this game. REALLY hoping for a night game. Would be a lot of fun and maybe I'll tailgate long enough where I don't get too angry if the game goes the wrong way?

Michigan St @ Michigan was announced as a night game. Half of the speculation has been correct so far.

When do the Gophers have a night home game in B1G play this year? Do we? Would love to haul out the anthracite unis under the lights against MSU or Nebraska this year.

Top Bottom