Not a lot of love from BTN

Blocked practice observations vs Random practice observations is how I took their opinions. Random practices (organized chaos) lead to better skill aquisition and retention. However, they are difficult to watch as a coach and, in this case, former coach (Dinardo). Just looking forward to each game and whether or not the team improves. Ski-U-Mah!

Far to much stock placed on qb play imo. All we need is serviceable qb play. We are stacked at rb and the line will be good enough to have a very good running game. We are also fine on defense so we should be in nearly every game. Just make a few throws and the offense is fine. No need for a stud qb here at all. I think we will be able to throw it well enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Sky isn't falling for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for making a point about QB play, the running game, and defense that is the real story. This is a point I have been trying ot make and only poor coaching and stubborn decision making can derail our strengths.

Starters may be fine, but depth will be a major concern at many positions.

If the offensive line becomes a strong unit this year, I think the team will challenge for the West. I think either QB should be good enough with a good running game and pass protection.

Starters will be fine, but depth will be a concern at some positions.

FIFY
Our starting groups will be as good as they have been in the past few years. As far as back ups are concerned some positions will have plenty, some will not.
QB: we're playing two at beginning, one will emerge through NC and the other will be primary back up.
RB: Two of the best in league plus McCrary is a solid group
WR: They will be playing multiple guys here and since Simon along with Fleck are good at developing players there will be some depth here as well. Might be young guys but after seeing them practice there are some good ones there
OL: Should have 8 who can play which is a good amount
TE: a solid group as well. Like WR some unproven guys after starters
DT: 3 really good ones plus Moore coming on
DE: probably most thing group of all. A few LB's will have to step in if injuries happen here
LB: solid and deep
DB: starters should be good, back ups young but were some of higher rated recruits, so linguist will have them ready if needed.
Why are you so pessimistic?

DiNardo doesn't like the hype Fleck brings. He likes the mundane , old ball coach like " Deputy Dog" a.k.a. Paul Chryst. The shot: "Minnesota is just the opposite of Wisconsin" was pure conjecture. He also gave a "catching up" shot on the facilities. I hope if we get off to a good start Mase rips that d-bag a new a-hole. Of course, that is probably not going to happen because they don't get along, so the BTN is probably going with Chuck Long on the studio shows

I also noticed that DiNardo has gotten quite negative/snarky on the Gophers. I figured it has to do with either a personal connection to Kill/Claeys or some slight from the Fleck staff. But, you may be right, that it is just his dislike of Fleck's style (kind of a Reusse reaction).

I also noticed that DiNardo has gotten quite negative/snarky on the Gophers. I figured it has to do with either a personal connection to Kill/Claeys or some slight from the Fleck staff. But, you may be right, that it is just his dislike of Fleck's style (kind of a Reusse reaction).

I figure DiNardo walked in and did the old "my sh!t don't stink" and "I'm a pedigreed d-1 coach" crap with Fleck and Fleck blew him off. There's a reason guys like DiNardo aren't coaching anymore. Ability.

I figure DiNardo walked in and did the old "my sh!t don't stink" and "I'm a pedigreed d-1 coach" crap with Fleck and Fleck blew him off. There's a reason guys like DiNardo aren't coaching anymore. Ability.

Dinardo was 8-27 as a Big Ten football coach. His overall record is not very impressive either. I don't know how he kept getting coaching jobs at the level he did.

FIFY
Our starting groups will be as good as they have been in the past few years. As far as back ups are concerned some positions will have plenty, some will not.
QB: we're playing two at beginning, one will emerge through NC and the other will be primary back up.
RB: Two of the best in league plus McCrary is a solid group
WR: They will be playing multiple guys here and since Simon along with Fleck are good at developing players there will be some depth here as well. Might be young guys but after seeing them practice there are some good ones there
OL: Should have 8 who can play which is a good amount
TE: a solid group as well. Like WR some unproven guys after starters
DT: 3 really good ones plus Moore coming on
DE: probably most thing group of all. A few LB's will have to step in if injuries happen here
LB: solid and deep
DB: starters should be good, back ups young but were some of higher rated recruits, so linguist will have them ready if needed.
Why are you so pessimistic?

WRs and LBs are the only two positions I'd consider deep.

It's not good depth if you have a true freshman who the staff wanted to redshirt as your primary backup at OT.
Very little experience behind the starters at DB.

I'm not too concerned about getting production from the lower guys at WR because of the scheme and the ability to develop there, but OL and DB should be major concerns.

We got no QB. Not hard to hate on a team with no QB...regardless of other talents.

I agree. When making predictions most national prognosticators weigh the QB pretty heavily as well as highly rated recruited classes.

It's not good depth if you have a true freshman who the staff wanted to redshirt as your primary backup at OT.

I'm not too concerned about getting production from the lower guys at WR because of the scheme and the ability to develop there, but OL and DB should be major concerns.

Do you really think we're deep at WR? Or did you mean RB?

They may have wanted to RS him, but he has shown he can handle it and can play. OL really isn't a concern unless we have many injuries. But then any position on any team would be if there are many injuries.
As I said, the DB depth does rely on FR, but they are highly regarded recruits, so if and when they play, I believe they will be able to hold up
Again I ask why are you so pessimistic about this team?

They may have wanted to RS him, but he has shown he can handle it and can play. OL really isn't a concern unless we have many injuries. But then any position on any team would be if there are many injuries.
As I said, the DB depth does rely on FR, but they are highly regarded recruits, so if and when they play, I believe they will be able to hold up
Again I ask why are you so pessimistic about this team?

Probably a combo of not wanting Fleck to be too successful too soon... without his own recruits. I don't get it either.

Not a shot at you... but almost every team in the West has question marks. I have never gotten that somehow the ones the Gophs have are always bigger. As has been pointed out too many times to count on GH, using the QB as one is ironic.

Even with Fleck saying both are progressing well and looking better every day, thus deserving the co-starter tags, some posters have already started talking about one of the other QBs passing these two at some point in the season. So without a game being played, some are already warming up to the as yet unknown back-up QB.

Yeah I totally get where you're coming from. I don't exactly buy into their logic either, it just seems to be a common theme from so many predictions I've read.

Top Bottom