Not a lot of love from BTN

hungan1

Reaction score
The BTN talking heads like Northwestern to be at the top of the heap pile in the B1G West.

The Gophers on the other hand not so much. They said based on what they have seen around the practices in the B1G West that the Gophers are towards the bottom of the pile.

The BTN talking heads like Northwestern to be at the top of the heap pile in the B1G West.

The Gophers on the other hand not so much. They said based on what they have seen around the practices in the B1G West that the Gophers are towards the bottom of the pile.

We got no QB. Not hard to hate on a team with no QB...regardless of other talents.

PJF's got a lot of question marks to iron out quickly in the non-con games. They'll figure it out. The larder is not empty. Players are all going to buy in, at least the ones who decided not to transfer.

I agree with BTN.
Until we know what we have a QB, this is a rebuild.

I agree with BTN.
Until we know what we have a QB, this is a rebuild.

We have a QB. We have a buttload of QBs. What we don't have is a coach who was willing to make a decision.

Flip a coin, man! Or start the older guy and give the kid mop-up work. Or start the kid if everything else is equal but he's a better runner. Just make a decision, PJ!

We have a QB. We have a buttload of QBs. What we don't have is a coach who was willing to make a decision.

Flip a coin, man! Or start the older guy and give the kid mop-up work. Or start the kid if everything else is equal but he's a better runner. Just make a decision, PJ!

Or why not play both and see who performs better in game situations? Makes sense to me and starting off with an easier games is the perfect opportunity to give both guys some experience.

We don't know if any of the QB's are as good as Leidner was, so a drop off should be expected.
Leidner is an NFL rostered QB.

I don't blame them, coaching changes are often seen as a negative for a bit, lots of questions at positions that could just cripple the team if they are bad...

It's all just guesses. Some teams have fewer question marks at key positions and have a history.

Last year Iowa was projected as the west champion and were ran off the field by NDSU. They regrouped by the end of the season.

Last year Penn State was projected to be middling at best and Franklin's seat was hot. Ended up winning the Big Ten after a slow start.

MSU was coming off a playoff appearance and the guys were impressed by their looks, as always.

Let's play the games! 6 days!

It's all just guesses. Some teams have fewer question marks at key positions and have a history.

Last year Iowa was projected as the west champion and were ran off the field by NDSU. They regrouped by the end of the season.

Last year Penn State was projected to be middling at best and Franklin's seat was hot. Ended up winning the Big Ten after a slow start.

MSU was coming off a playoff appearance and the guys were impressed by their looks, as always.

Let's play the games! 6 days!

They should thank the Gophers who had a chance for an upset. That was their turning point.

I think the quotes were "had more work to do than expected" or something similar.

I was disappointed to hear it (although I did not see the specific show for the Gophers camp) but figured it must be mostly tied to the QB situation.

So the bar is set to overachieve...or at least that's my hope.

Addendum to my post above: Iowa wasn't projected to do anything in 2015. They were coming off a pretty bad 2014 performance.

With the install of a new scheme, new qb, and the publicly professed disdain for spread offenses from the majority of the talking heads (Dinardo predictably compared the Badgers to the Packers -puke) I'm not surprised. And I won't be surprised if we look really rough the first half of the season. We should still be good enough to win those games if they don't blow up the defensive scheme, and special teams plays lights out.

We don't know if any of the QB's are as good as Leidner was, so a drop off should be expected.

What a piss poor attitude.
It's as reasonable to think that there will be no drop off in QB play and it is also possible that they could be Better. We will start to find out in a week.
The great thing about CFB, is players graduate and new ones step in every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be shocked and disappointed if we don't get more production out of the QB position this year than last.

I know you're trolling, but I'll respond anyway. It's not like we are committed to the two QB approach for the entire season. I see nothing wrong with using the Buffalo game as one last test/challenge to see how these guys do in actual game action. I anticipate we will set a starter by the time conference games begin.

Many questions about the position groups other than RB and LB.

There have been some "very talented" posts about this team. There are a few nice pieces but this isn't a very talented team overall.

Still think they get to at least 6 or 7 wins. If the season ends up with less than 6 wins disappointing but wouldn't consider it too much of a surprise.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if we don't get more production out of the QB position this year than last.

We all hope for better production, but we don't know. At best we are guessing until we see them play.

Can't win games by guessing.

On the other hand, if the players all improve their best, every single day and buy in, maybe we'll have surprisingly good results this year and go to a good bowl game.
I don't know how fast PJ can turn a team around socially, spiritually, etc.

He's changing the process but that might not reflect in wins in year one.

BTN needs ratings like every other station. They need people talking. Saying a team is good or bad based on a couple practices is absurd.

BTN needs ratings like every other station. They need people talking. Saying a team is good or bad based on a couple practices is absurd.
I agree it is a ratings move. It is easy to be wrong about your prediction and BTN will still make more money from advertisers by predicting the winner from a larger market (Chicago area) than calling out a market with less viewers.

I thought they liked Wisconsin? The MN show really soured me on those BTN guys.

Far to much stock placed on qb play imo. All we need is serviceable qb play. We are stacked at rb and the line will be good enough to have a very good running game. We are also fine on defense so we should be in nearly every game. Just make a few throws and the offense is fine. No need for a stud qb here at all. I think we will be able to throw it well enough to keep opposing defenses honest. Sky isn't falling for me.

God, I'm so ready to read about how and why things happened, rather than this endless BS speculating. Waiting eagerly for Thursday.

I think from their perspective and some other's that I've heard/read on different websites, the reason for being cautious with their Minnesota predictions is the question marks. Quarterback is definitely one of them and I think the new coach and depth at some of the positions factor into it, too. It's a lot easier to be high on teams that have those key positions coming back and/or having a coach with a long tenure. Only time it's not a factor I think is if it's like Harbaugh at Michigan or Meyer at Ohio State where it's easy to predict good things.

With all that said, I think BTN and other predictions have been at least open to the idea of Minnesota having some success this year when considering Fleck's energy as well as the abilities of Smith and Brooks.

They were all high on Nebraska last year.

DiNardo doesn't like the hype Fleck brings. He likes the mundane , old ball coach like " Deputy Dog" a.k.a. Paul Chryst. The shot: "Minnesota is just the opposite of Wisconsin" was pure conjecture. He also gave a "catching up" shot on the facilities. I hope if we get off to a good start Mase rips that d-bag a new a-hole. Of course, that is probably not going to happen because they don't get along, so the BTN is probably going with Chuck Long on the studio shows

Those turned off by Kill's Aw shucks routine would be mortified by Mike Riley.

His DC Diaco gives off that Ben Stiller in Dodgeball vibe. I find him unsettling. Weird pairing with Mr Oh Geez

We all hope for better production, but we don't know. At best we are guessing until we see them play.

Can't win games by guessing.

On the other hand, if the players all improve their best, every single day and buy in, maybe we'll have surprisingly good results this year and go to a good bowl game.
I don't know how fast PJ can turn a team around socially, spiritually, etc.

He's changing the process but that might not reflect in wins in year one.

I'm not saying that I hoped we would get more production from the QB position (which I do), I was saying that I was expecting them to get more production. Like, I expect Rodney Smith to be a good running back. I would be shocked if he stunk this year. I suppose that's sort of a guess. . .

You're right, we can't win by guessing. We also can't lose by guessing. When we predict next year's results, it, literally, has zero impact on wins and losses. But you're technically right, our guesses won't win any games. Weird but factual point.

Yeah, it took the Catholic Church about 200 years to fully convert Mexico spiritually. . .hopefully PJ has a quicker turnaround. I didn't really say anything about this, but yeah, you're right again. . . converting large groups of people spiritually often takes a lot of time (and blood and money).

DiNardo doesn't like the hype Fleck brings. He likes the mundane , old ball coach like " Deputy Dog" a.k.a. Paul Chryst. The shot: "Minnesota is just the opposite of Wisconsin" was pure conjecture. He also gave a "catching up" shot on the facilities. I hope if we get off to a good start Mase rips that d-bag a new a-hole. Of course, that is probably not going to happen because they don't get along, so the BTN is probably going with Chuck Long on the studio shows
All of this!!! DiNardo is probably pouting because Claeys was fired. He makes Reusse look like a homer for Gopher football.

I think from their perspective and some other's that I've heard/read on different websites, the reason for being cautious with their Minnesota predictions is the question marks. Quarterback is definitely one of them and I think the new coach and depth at some of the positions factor into it, too. It's a lot easier to be high on teams that have those key positions coming back and/or having a coach with a long tenure. Only time it's not a factor I think is if it's like Harbaugh at Michigan or Meyer at Ohio State where it's easy to predict good things.

With all that said, I think BTN and other predictions have been at least open to the idea of Minnesota having some success this year when considering Fleck's energy as well as the abilities of Smith and Brooks.

Not a shot at you... but almost every team in the West has question marks. I have never gotten that somehow the ones the Gophs have are always bigger. As has been pointed out too many times to count on GH, using the QB as one is ironic.

Even with Fleck saying both are progressing well and looking better every day, thus deserving the co-starter tags, some posters have already started talking about one of the other QBs passing these two at some point in the season. So without a game being played, some are already warming up to the as yet unknown back-up QB.

Top Bottom