Which teams do the most with the least talent

I think articles like this are interesting too. Thanks for posting. #1 Air Force #2 Western Kentucky #3 Navy

Western Michigan #5

Wisconsin #13

Iowa #20

Minnesota #37.

Rutgers #127

Kansas #128

Boise State.. Chris Peterson now at Washington gets my vote for best coach in college football he's going to win multiple national titles in Seattle

Just another indicator that PJ can coach. He gets results. His teams play disciplined football. Anxious to see the Gophers on the field under his direction.

There is a factor he's not accounting for with regard to the service academies. They can't offer athletic scholarships and are hindered by size restrictions - these are both true. However, these limitations are mitigated by two other important factors. First, they don't need to offer athletic scholarships because every student enrolled at the service academies is on full scholarship regardless. And, following from that, the service academies aren't bound by the 25 annual and 85 overall count restrictions on athletic scholarships to which every other FBS program has to adhere. In other words, they can effectively sign as many incoming recruits as they want. Army, for example, announced a signing class of 82 this year: http://goarmywestpoint.com/news/2017/7/3/football-monken-welcomes-class-of-2021.aspx?path=football. Another issue is that they don't redshirt anyone because everyone (I believe) has to finish in 4 years, but again they try to overcome all of these hindrances with volume.

Just another indicator that PJ can coach. He gets results. His teams play disciplined football. Anxious to see the Gophers on the field under his direction.

He does get results and I am certain that he will here as well, but I don't think his rating should be that high because the players he he recruited to WMU were the highest rated in the conference, so he should have had success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He does get results and I am certain that he will here as well, but I don't think his rating should be that high because the players he he recruited to WMU were the highest rated in the conference, so he should have had success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These figures are produced from a regression model where recruiting rank is the primary independent variable in the model. In other words, the major modeled casual factor is team recruiting ranks vs. competitors. The listed figures in the graph are prediction errors: the difference between actual results and predicted results. Obviously, with a high positive error, W. Michigan was performing much higher than anticipated given the rankings of its recruits. My guess is that they also may have included a conference strength index as another independent variable in the model.

There is a factor he's not accounting for with regard to the service academies. They can't offer athletic scholarships and are hindered by size restrictions - these are both true. However, these limitations are mitigated by two other important factors. First, they don't need to offer athletic scholarships because every student enrolled at the service academies is on full scholarship regardless. And, following from that, the service academies aren't bound by the 25 annual and 85 overall count restrictions on athletic scholarships to which every other FBS program has to adhere. In other words, they can effectively sign as many incoming recruits as they want. Army, for example, announced a signing class of 82 this year: http://goarmywestpoint.com/news/2017/7/3/football-monken-welcomes-class-of-2021.aspx?path=football. Another issue is that they don't redshirt anyone because everyone (I believe) has to finish in 4 years, but again they try to overcome all of these hindrances with volume.

That is a lot of fresh bodies to choose from year after year. No wonder they outperform.

Ben Leber chimes in:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Another issue is that they don't redshirt anyone because everyone (I believe) has to finish in 4 years, but again they try to overcome all of these hindrances with volume.

The service academies have 1 year "prep" schools that are used as a sort of redshirt year. A friend went to the Army prep school, hated it, went to St Johns on an "academic" scholarship, didn't want to do football, lost his academic scholarship, and fell in love with rugby. All in all a feel good story for everyone except his parents who paid for his schooling.

Yet another reason to expect Fleck to hit the ground running.

Top Bottom