STrib: Gophers kicker Carpenter has ice in his veins – and sometimes down his jersey

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

The new Gophers coach tests his field goal unit with last-second, make-it-or-the-team-runs drills, and he will use any means necessary to try to distract a kicker, holder or long snapper in action. A well-placed squirt, or dump, of a water bottle is Fleck’s go-to method.

“Coach Fleck likes to have fun with me,” Carpenter said. “… There’s been times were he’s ran out of water, so he just resorts to throwing [the bottle] at us. He does a good job of just making us focus on the little things, the details in the process.”

Carpenter says the practice situations will pay off.

“When it comes to a game, all you gotta do is take your approach and kick the ball, and you don’t have to worry about ice being dumped down your neck,” he said. “Things just seem a little bit slower, a little easier.”

08_1004255523_04UFOT080517_458395441.JPG

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-ki...-his-jersey/441581543/?section=sports/gophers

Go Gophers!!

LOL! As he said, its the little things that will make him better. That is so true with anything.

I didn't catch this in its entirety today, but someone on one of the radio shows (KFAN or 1500) was talking about "Fleck-rights" that are placed in between the uprights. It wasn't clear how much more narrow these are than normal, but apparently, Carpenter often has to kick the ball between the "Fleck-rights," instead of between the regular uprights, in order for his practice-ending field goal to "count."

I didn't catch this in its entirety today, but someone on one of the radio shows (KFAN or 1500) was talking about "Fleck-rights" that are placed in between the uprights. It wasn't clear how much more narrow these are than normal, but apparently, Carpenter often has to kick the ball between the "Fleck-rights," instead of between the regular uprights, in order for his practice-ending field goal to "count."

He mentioned it in an after practice media thing but I don't know if he specified. I would guess the middle 50% or smaller? I don't know. I like the idea though! Also helps them prepare (a bit) for NFL.

He mentioned it in an after practice media thing but I don't know if he specified. I would guess the middle 50% or smaller? I don't know. I like the idea though! Also helps them prepare (a bit) for NFL.
Yeah, it's basically 50%.

The first time I heard about this was during one of the Fleck mic'd up clips from an indoor practice session. There are lines on the netting behind the end zone, making four sections. He said look at the center line and then the line to the left and to the right....between them. You can see what lines he's talking about here:

ZtrIkF.png

I'm a little embarrassed how late to the party I may be, but the uprights in the NFL are more narrow than in college?

[/B]

I'm a little embarrassed how late to the party I may be, but the uprights in the NFL are more narrow than in college?

I was thinking the same thing. I thought they were the same........

Field goal uprights are directly in line with the hash marks on the field. The hash marks are further apart in the college game than in the NFL, thus wider field goal uprights.

Field goal uprights are directly in line with the hash marks on the field. The hash marks are further apart in the college game than in the NFL, thus wider field goal uprights.

Don't believe that is true.

ga-so-takeover.jpg

Goal Dimensions. The football goal crossbar is 10 feet high, and the posts are an additional 20 feet high, for a total height of 30 feet. NFL and NCAA goal posts are 18 feet, 6 inches wide. High school goal posts are 23 feet, 4 inches wide

Only High School are differrent

Yep I misspoke. Clarification: The hash marks and field goal posts line up directly in the NFL. However in the college game, the posts are wider than the NFL posts, but not nearly as wide as the hash marks are.

Nope. Width of the goal posts is the same in college as NFL.

Yeah, it's basically 50%.

The first time I heard about this was during one of the Fleck mic'd up clips from an indoor practice session. There are lines on the netting behind the end zone, making four sections. He said look at the center line and then the line to the left and to the right....between them. You can see what lines he's talking about here:

ZtrIkF.png

Those lines are nothing new. They were there last year. I am attaching a photo I took from 2016. The only thing new is the name "Fleckrights".
uprights2016.jpg

My mistake on the goal posts. I thought the posts lined up with the hashes, causing a difference, but I am wrong. Sorry!

Those lines are nothing new. They were there last year. I am attaching a photo I took from 2016. The only thing new is the name "Fleckrights".
View attachment 5053

And the explicit goal to be in between the two to the left and right of center. Those lines are probably how the netting is made, long strips stitched together, and they decided to put them to additional use.

My mistake on the goal posts. I thought the posts lined up with the hashes, causing a difference, but I am wrong. Sorry!

They do in NFL but not college
In most forms of professional football in the U.S., including the National Football League and most forms of indoor football, the hash marks are in line with the goal posts, both being 18 feet 6 inches apart in the NFL and between 9 and 10 feet in indoor football. High school football, college football and Canadian football have hash marks significantly wider than the goal posts. The college football standard, which was the previous standard in the NFL (1945–1971), is 40 feet apart, (20 yards from the sidelines)[2] introduced in 1993.[3][4]

So the angle of attack for college can be steeper than in NFL making a short field goal from the hash more difficult in college than in pro.

And the explicit goal to be in between the two to the left and right of center. Those lines are probably how the netting is made, long strips stitched together, and they decided to put them to additional use.

I guess we're not sure what the old staff told the kickers about where they were supposed to hit. Fleck is definitely making it known to the media and general public that it's down the middle. I can't imagine the old staff thought it was great to be flirting with the edges of the goal posts all the time though.

I guess we're not sure what the old staff told the kickers about where they were supposed to hit. Fleck is definitely making it known to the media and general public that it's down the middle. I can't imagine the old staff thought it was great to be flirting with the edges of the goal posts all the time though.

Fleck is so 'revolutionary' in coming up with that idea. Probably shouldn't have shared that as now staffs all across the country are going to start doing this as well. :p

Top Bottom