STrib: Gophers senior associate AD Ayo Taylor-Dixon leaving for Georgia Tech

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Gophers senior associate athletic director Ayo Taylor-Dixon announced he has accepted a similar job at Georgia Tech on Wednesday.

Taylor-Dixon, hired by interim AD Beth Goetz in March 2016, oversaw Gophers athletics marketing, ticket sales and service and licensing.

“My family and I are excited to be a part of the Georgia Tech family and the Atlanta community,” Taylor-Dixon said in a Georgia Tech news release. “It’s very evident that there is an incredible amount of momentum behind the Yellow Jackets right now.”

Taylor-Dixon was the lone minority among top assistants under Minnesota AD Mark Coyle. There are two other minorities in the broader, 17-member Gophers sports administration team. The Gophers have no minority head coaches.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...lor-dixon-leaving-for-georgia-tech/441553603/

Go Gophers!!

I'm tempted to make a joke about the Gophers wearing all-white jerseys, but some might find that offensive.

I'm tempted to make a joke about the Gophers wearing all-white jerseys, but some might find that offensive.

I laughed. Tonight I saw on CBS News the play by play man for the UVA opener by the name of Robert Lee (he's asian heritage, BTW) had to be reassigned to a different game to avoid "controversy". Today's sign of the apocalypse.

I read an article recently about how hard it is for Minnesota companies to retain Professionals Of Color. This reflects badly on the U AD but they are not the only ones fighting this battle. Atlanta is Mecca for African Americans so I suppose he didn't feel pushed out or hate it here so much he took the first train out of town.

I laughed. Tonight I saw on CBS News the play by play man for the UVA opener by the name of Robert Lee (he's asian heritage, BTW) had to be reassigned to a different game to avoid "controversy". Today's sign of the apocalypse.

I was amused by that too.

I am growing weary of everything turning into a racist conspiracy. I don't care if they're black, yellow, white, orange, or green. Hire the most qualified/talented individual for the job.

For reference, the state's demographic information indicates a minority population of 17%. The African-American ratio is around 5%. 1 minority in 17 administrative staff is 5%. 2 is 11%. What ratios of minorities to whites (whether qualified for the job on either side) is acceptable in order the U to be considered a "non-racist" organization? Serious question, because that doesn't scream irrational racism to me.

What percentage of students and student-athletes on scholarship at the U are minority? Faculty? What is that in relation to the demographic information? I know for fact that 3 of the 13 regents are minority (roughy a quarter).

Why don't we get some facts in order before trying to find racism, and dragging it through the media based on nothing, at one of the most liberal and progressive institutions in America. This, frankly, is a dangerous and wreckless accusation in today's social/political climate. Par for the course for the Strib.

I am growing weary of everything turning into a racist conspiracy. I don't care if they're black, yellow, white, orange, or green. Hire the most qualified/talented individual for the job.

For reference, the state's demographic information indicates a minority population of 17%. The African-American ratio is around 5%. 1 minority in 17 administrative staff is 5%. 2 is 11%. What ratios of minorities to whites (whether qualified for the job on either side) is acceptable in order the U to be considered a "non-racist" organization? Serious question, because that doesn't scream irrational racism to me.

What percentage of students and student-athletes on scholarship at the U are minority? Faculty? What is that in relation to the demographic information? I know for fact that 3 of the 13 regents are minority (roughy a quarter).

Why don't we get some facts in order before trying to find racism, and dragging it through the media based on nothing, at one of the most liberal and progressive institutions in America. This, frankly, is a dangerous and wreckless accusation in today's social/political climate. Par for the course for the Strib.

I missed the part where the Star Tribune accused the U of being a racist institution. I'm sure the comment section is a different story - but the story itself is pretty fact-based.

I missed the part where the Star Tribune accused the U of being a racist institution. I'm sure the comment section is a different story - but the story itself is pretty fact-based.

Asserting arguments of "it was all due to racism against minorities" when that was never asserted is all part of the "it's the white males that are the aggrieved party" narrative pushed by the real Faux News.

Well what are the demographics of Minneapolis? I would think comparing the staff to the demographics of Minneapolis would be a better comparison than to the entire state.

Well what are the demographics of Minneapolis? I would think comparing the staff to the demographics of Minneapolis would be a better comparison than to the entire state.

I'm not sure I see the logic in that. It's not the University of Minneapolis. I could see your argument if you are talking Minneapolis Public Schools.

I'm not sure I see the logic in that. It's not the University of Minneapolis. I could see your argument if you are talking Minneapolis Public Schools.

Well you are likely going to get your most of your staff from the surrounding city and suburbs right? Just figured it would be a better comparison since that's where I believe their pulling staff from.

Well you are likely going to get your most of your staff from the surrounding city and suburbs right? Just figured it would be a better comparison since that's where I believe their pulling staff from.

I would hope they are pulling athletic department staff from all around the country - especially for the higher positions. But even if you look at the MSP metro area, it's only 8% black. Keep in mind the city of Minneapolis has less than 12% of the metro area population (hard to believe, but true).

I would hope they are pulling athletic department staff from all around the country - especially for the higher positions. But even if you look at the MSP metro area, it's only 8% black. Keep in mind the city of Minneapolis has less than 12% of the metro area population (hard to believe, but true).

Alright, fair point. As such, we aren't just talking about black representation, but all POC, which you said was around 17% of the state. So if we're looking for a rough match, 3 POC in the AD staff would be good.

Alright, fair point. As such, we aren't just talking about black representation, but all POC, which you said was around 17% of the state. So if we're looking for a rough match, 3 POC in the AD staff would be good.

I think that should be a goal, but not at all costs. I think you can go over or under that if they are the right people.

Ok Taj, what's your plan to make this happen? Strict new hire quotas? Fire and hire?

This person left for GA of his own accord?

The idea of not hiring the best person for the job is ludicrous for anyone working in the private sector. It's a battle to survive and hopefully grow every day. These conversations seem to happen amongst those insulated from decisions and responsibilities, like students and activists.

Top Bottom