Running backs are even better than last year

swingman

Reaction score
From Pioneer Press:

Fleck has seen improvement from Brooks and fellow standout running back Rodney Smith. He mentioned conditioning, confidence and strength as main reasons why.

“They are better backs then they were in January,” Fleck said of when he was hired. “They are better backs in the three weeks (of camp) being coached by Kenny Burns.”

PJ said better than January (makes sense as he wasn't there until then).

Maybe they're actually still worse than last year....

Athletic progression in collegiate athletes from season to season?.... Barring injury, this outlook is generally a given.

I'm looking forward to an offense that is a little more creative. I was a Kill/Claeys fan, but their offenses were not fun to watch. I think with two great running backs, there has to be some room for creativity to maximize the talent on the field.

I'm looking forward to an offense that is a little more creative. I was a Kill/Claeys fan, but their offenses were not fun to watch. I think with two great running backs, there has to be some room for creativity to maximize the talent on the field.

Word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. when the Gophs brought in Johnson as Off coordinator, I thought they were going to open things up from the Limegrover days - and then the games started, and there was (to my eyes) virtually no difference in the offense.

I'm not asking for the run-and-shoot, or something crazy - just a little more variation. Run a few jet sweeps - throw different pass routes - throw the ball to the RB's - run a screen pass - you know, like other teams do.

We'll see what the offense looks like against Buffalo. If they come out and run up the middle the first three plays, there may be Gopher fans lining up to jump off the Washington Ave. bridge.

Yeah. when the Gophs brought in Johnson as Off coordinator, I thought they were going to open things up from the Limegrover days - and then the games started, and there was (to my eyes) virtually no difference in the offense.

I'm not asking for the run-and-shoot, or something crazy - just a little more variation. Run a few jet sweeps - throw different pass routes - throw the ball to the RB's - run a screen pass - you know, like other teams do.

We'll see what the offense looks like against Buffalo. If they come out and run up the middle the first three plays, there may be Gopher fans lining up to jump off the Washington Ave. bridge.

There were more options with Johnson's scheme but Liedner rarely got past the second progression. There were many times. the second or third read was open, but Mitch wouldn't go through the progressions to see it.

They did have both on the field at the same time a little bit last year but would like to see more of it. They're both too good to be on the bench.

Exactly. How many times have I watched other teams move the ball easily by running basic plays that the Gophers don't seem to have in the playbook? It won't take a great deal of imagination to make this offense seem revolutionary, relative to what we are used to seeing.

I would take the Brooks/Smith tandem over any tandem we have ever had. Am I crazy?

They did have both on the field at the same time a little bit last year but would like to see more of it. They're both too good to be on the bench.

I think generally the more guys in backfield the more pressure on the OL.... if you've got a questionable OL your ability to stack it up back there shrinks fast I think.

Hmmm. I think I would pick Maroney and Barber.

Man I miss those guys, the two years we had them together and healthy was truly special. I'll be perfectly content if Rodney and Shannon approach that this year, I do think it's in the range of outcomes for them to both get 1k this year. I'm also holding out hope that we're going to see Rodney mixed into the slot (in addition to plenty of snaps from the backfield) given how well he runs routes and catches the ball and our general lack of proven receiver options. Could be fun.

Athletic progression in collegiate athletes from season to season?.... Barring injury, this outlook is generally a given.

Based on some posters out here, for the Gophs, no, that's not a given.

With a great running back core all we need is a QB who can get them the ball in creative ways. Surely we have a QB who can do this. It's gonna be a fun season.

I like the upside of Brooks/Smith for their final two seasons. Smith could end up the all time TD rusher and top three in rushing yards. Brooks could end up in the top ten in rushing. Since Maroney and Barber are long gone, I am buying all the stock I can get in Brooks and Smith. Go Gophers!

I like the upside of Brooks/Smith for their final two seasons. Smith could end up the all time TD rusher and top three in rushing yards. Brooks could end up in the top ten in rushing. Since Maroney and Barber are long gone, I am buying all the stock I can get in Brooks and Smith. Go Gophers!

Looking at the record holders for career, single season, single game and there are so many records ripe for the picking.

Particularly in the areas of receiving, quarterbacking, sacks, etc. For example, Drew Wolitarsky is in the top 10 for season receiving yards.. Blake Cashman's 7.5 sacks got him into the top 10.

Lots of records and lists to be shook up, boys.

Maroney was my favorite Gopher RB ever, he was a very tough physical RB and could just blow past people in a very AP like way. I recall many plays where D backs took an angle to tackle Maroney, only to end up diving and missing because he covered so much ground so quickly.

MBIII was my second favorite gopher back, as he was always a shifty and tough runner who finished runs in a very physical way gaining extra yards. He also could break long runs despite his lack of a top, elite gear like Maroney had. I always though Barber was really good, but only when he became a star at Dallas did I realize that how great he was. Barber had the best NFL career of any Gopher RB ever (as a RB if you dismiss Bronko N.)

Brooks and Smith are as close to Maroney and MBIII as any backs since, and certainly could be almost as good since they are not done yet. Neither is as fast as Maroney or as physical as Barber, but both have some unique strengths. Brooks is almost as physical as Barber, but he is shiftier and probably a little faster. Brooks is probably has the best all around array of physical skills as a runner as any of the four. Brooks is stronger than he looks, but he has incredible vision and high end speed. Brooks can shift and accelerate very well, but Brooks can do some very deceptive things without losing his speed and will make the defenders look foolish.

I am not sure which one is better, but I hope they both get a lot of touches each game. I was concerned that Fleck referred to McCrary as the "third down back" in an interview with Paul Allen this week. McCrary better only see the field as a change of pace back, in the case of injury, during blow outs, or in short yardage once in while, but never as player who comes in during every third down. I cannot stand the whole NFL "third down back" mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_aN0qg--g

Maroney was my favorite Gopher RB ever, he was a very tough physical RB and could just blow past people in a very AP like way. I recall many plays where D backs took an angle to tackle Maroney, only to end up diving and missing because he covered so much ground so quickly.

MBIII was my second favorite gopher back, as he was always a shifty and tough runner who finished runs in a very physical way gaining extra yards. He also could break long runs despite his lack of a top, elite gear like Maroney had. I always though Barber was really good, but only when he became a star at Dallas did I realize that how great he was. Barber had the best NFL career of any Gopher RB ever (as a RB if you dismiss Bronko N.)

Brooks and Smith are as close to Maroney and MBIII as any backs since, and certainly could be almost as good since they are not done yet. Neither is as fast as Maroney or as physical as Barber, but both have some unique strengths. Brooks is almost as physical as Barber, but he is shiftier and probably a little faster. Brooks is probably has the best all around array of physical skills as a runner as any of the four. Brooks is stronger than he looks, but he has incredible vision and high end speed. Brooks can shift and accelerate very well, but Brooks can do some very deceptive things without losing his speed and will make the defenders look foolish.

I am not sure which one is better, but I hope they both get a lot of touches each game. I was concerned that Fleck referred to McCrary as the "third down back" in an interview with Paul Allen this week. McCrary better only see the field as a change of pace back, in the case of injury, during blow outs, or in short yardage once in while, but never as player who comes in during every third down. I cannot stand the whole NFL "third down back" mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_aN0qg--g

Appreciate your analysis, Barber and Maroney were indeed elite. Concerning McCrary, Fleck said today in his press conference that he was the best blocking back which means he will see a lot of third down action. My guess is Rodney is also on the field on many third downs as well. Gonna be a fun year

Appreciate your analysis, Barber and Maroney were indeed elite. Concerning McCrary, Fleck said today in his press conference that he was the best blocking back which means he will see a lot of third down action. My guess is Rodney is also on the field on many third downs as well. Gonna be a fun year

McCrary must be a real special blocker than. Smith stepped in and stuck some real big blocks last season consistently. Multiple times he even stopped line backers in their tracks.

McCrary must be a real special blocker than. Smith stepped in and stuck some real big blocks last season consistently. Multiple times he even stopped line backers in their tracks.

I think McCray becomes the notable third down blocking back so that Rodney can line up in the slot, or also a target out of the backfield. Anyway, both Rodney and Mccrory become nice check down options when QB's under pressure.

I would take the Brooks/Smith tandem over any tandem we have ever had. Am I crazy?

No, not crazy, but like others I'd have to refer you to Barber and Maroney. Those two were part of a team that could put up 400 plus yards in a game multiple times (and lose!). I often dream of what Gopher football would have been like with that running attack and the defense of our past few years.

Top Bottom