‘Everywhere We Go It’s A Sprint’: Fleck Changing Culture At Gophers Training Camp

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Max:

What he sees is a team far from a finished product, with a long way to go.

“Well I think we’re becoming mature, if that makes any sense. We define maturity as when doing what you have to do becomes doing what you want to do,” Fleck said.

They’ve added some wrinkles, like a leadership council to help stay in touch through upperclassmen.

“I’ve had the privilege of being on his leadership council where we meet once a week and we get to talk about different leadership topics. It’s been an absolutely life-changing experience. Just, to get to pick his brain about different topics on leadership,” kicker Emmett Carpenter said.

It’s the culture. So is a high-tempo practice.

“The conditioning, the practice. How we practice is so much different from last year or any years that I’ve ever played football. Everywhere we go it’s a sprint,” running back Shannon Brooks said.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/08/22/gopher-football-training-camp/

Go Gophers!!

Pretty exciting to hear. That is the mentality of championship teams. Makes you wonder what they've been doing in prior years

Pretty exciting to hear. <b>That is the mentality of championship teams. </b>Makes you wonder what they've been doing in prior years

Sprinting? I swear if PJ decided to remove the doors from every stall at Bierman someone on here would post "this is how you win Championships".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprinting? I swear if PJ decided to remove the doors from every stall at Bierman someone on here would post "this is how you win Championships".

Reminders of basic training 30 years ago.

Or maybe JZ was talking about the discussion about maturity, leadership council, etc.

But don't let that stop you from overreacting.

His post is just as crazy in that context.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kill have something similar to the Leadership Council? A group of players who were supposed to be a buffer between the team and the coaching staff?

A lot of what Fleck does is not necessarily new or unique - but he presents it as if it was new and unique. That is not a knock - I'm giving Fleck credit for being a good promoter and marketer. He is able to make it seem as if everything he does is new and exciting - even if it's not. There really is very little that is new under the sun. If you choose to believe that Fleck has found some revolutionary new approach to coaching football, that's your right. I just don't see it that way. - which does NOT mean he's a bad coach. It just means, from my perspective, that he is not as original as some think.

I think the University tried this already back when I was in school

I think the University tried this already back when I was in school

Yes, but if PJ did this it would be to bring Guys closer together. Ironically, The University did it for the opposite reason.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kill have something similar to the Leadership Council? A group of players who were supposed to be a buffer between the team and the coaching staff?

A lot of what Fleck does is not necessarily new or unique - but he presents it as if it was new and unique. That is not a knock - I'm giving Fleck credit for being a good promoter and marketer. He is able to make it seem as if everything he does is new and exciting - even if it's not. There really is very little that is new under the sun. If you choose to believe that Fleck has found some revolutionary new approach to coaching football, that's your right. I just don't see it that way. - which does NOT mean he's a bad coach. It just means, from my perspective, that he is not as original as some think.

It is like eating Spam. You can put pineapple or Tabasco in it, but it is still Spam.

There are individual components to how he runs his program that are not unique.....there are only so many ways you can do things, like people have said.

Personally, I believe the most unique thing is the way he connects to his players. It's the sixth grade SS teacher coming out in him. I think you really see that come out in the meeting room clips and the way he interacts with his players. Giving a walk-on a scholarship isn't unique, but doing it in a way that will be memorable both for that kid as well as the rest of his teammates can be if you do it the right way. Do you see Nick Saban or Paul Chryst spearheading the concept of putting together clips of Indiana Jones and the holy grail for a typical spring/summer meeting?

SON, to your point of making something seem new and exciting that really wasn't, that's exactly what a teacher has to do in order to keep kids engaged. If not, you start to lose their interest and they stop caring. In a college football program, bad things can happen when a kid stops caring.

Top Bottom