Sounds like 20-game B1G schedule is on its way in 2018-19

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I'm all for it. More conference games is good.

As a season-ticket holder, 2 in the hand (quality games) is better than 2 in the bush.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm all for it. More conference games is good.

As a season-ticket holder, 2 in the hand (quality games) is better than 2 in the bush.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wouldn't you just get one more quality game?

With this, they should be able to have protected rivalries and keep the schedules balanced.

I like it for next year. 20 conference games, three in Vancouver, guessing an exempt game at the Barn, plus the game at US Bank and a likely road game in the ACC challenge. Guessing our remaining five games will be cream puffs

The only thing I don't like about this is the strength of non conference will likely take a huge hit playing two more big ten teams. Part of why I love college basketball is RPI, SOS, etc. I know all of that will still be there but these things separate the big ten teams out a little. Currently there are a good half dozen out of conference teams we can pay close attention to throughout the year. It was a lot of fun last year to not only enjoy the Gopher's success but to watch Vandy upset Florida a few times and actually give a crap was cool too. 20 conference games will mean we're likely following the Illinois St's of the world for a few weeks until their RPI's dip into the 200's.

Don't get me wrong I think it can only help from a $, competition, etc. standpoint, but just throwing out one of the cons I personally will see.

Downstream impacts I envision,

1. Early December conf games are here to stay
2. Home and Homes with other Power 6 teams are a thing of the past. Only future non-Big 10 teams coming to the Barn will be part of the ACC Challenge and Big East Gavitt games.

As for protected rivals, I don't really care nor do I really see any reason for the Conference to announce such match ups. Transparency is fine, but I don't really see the point. Everyone will play other teams at least once and more than half the other teams twice (until the Big 10 expands to 16).

These moves will continue to hurt the pocketbooks of smaller schools.

Non-conference model going forward 7 home, 1 road, 3 neutral?

Bemidji pretty much hit the nail right on the head. Unfortunately, I'd guess the days of scheduling home & homes with a quality opponent will go out the window, but it's not like the Gophers schedule many of those, anyways.

The typical Gophers schedule going forward should look something like this:

11 "quality" home games (B1G + 1 of ACC/Big East)

11 quality road games (B1G + 1 of ACC/Big East)

3 quality neutral-site games (exempt event + a Sioux Falls/Target Center/U.S.Bank)

6 home cupcakes (1 or 2 as part of exempt event)

On the non-conference side of things, on average that adds up to 7 home games, 1 true road game, 3 neutral-site games.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the Big Ten-ACC Challenge is discontinued once both conferences are playing 20-game conference schedules so that schools can tack on an additional cupcake to help balance out the extra conference games.

As for protected rivals, I don't really care nor do I really see any reason for the Conference to announce such match ups. Transparency is fine, but I don't really see the point. Everyone will play other teams at least once and more than half the other teams twice (until the Big 10 expands to 16).

So you're cool with us playing Maryland and Rutgers as frequently as we play Wisconsin and Iowa? I'm not.

Protected

So you're cool with us playing Maryland and Rutgers as frequently as we play Wisconsin and Iowa? I'm not.

In short, yes. I get enough of Bucky on TV, at the Big 10 Tourney and NCAAs if they are not here every year, I'm fine with it. I enjoy watching the Terps more than most of the other Big 10 teams, and Rutgers should be getting better.

If they can schedule Iowa & Wisconsin a little more that's cool but it really does not move the needle for attendance unless it's a weekend game. Games are going to be every day of the week going forward, so Sat/Sun games will be less frequent.

How about going the football route and splitting in two divisions? Then you could go with a 19 game schedule and play everyone in your division twice and everyone in the other division once. I like that everyone in each division would have the same schedule (other than who you played home and away and the # of home games). Then instead of just a championship game between the top two games you give everyone a game 20 and match them all up based on seeding. That way the teams that were in the hunt for an NCAA bid would get one more chance for a quality game, the teams that finished low would get one more competitive game.

How about going the football route and splitting in two divisions? Then you could go with a 19 game schedule and play everyone in your division twice and everyone in the other division once. I like that everyone in each division would have the same schedule (other than who you played home and away and the # of home games). Then instead of just a championship game between the top two games you give everyone a game 20 and match them all up based on seeding. That way the teams that were in the hunt for an NCAA bid would get one more chance for a quality game, the teams that finished low would get one more competitive game.

The problem with that is if both ones and two play ten home and nine away games, than someone gets 11 home games

Not a fan of divisions in basketball. The SEC's setup is pretty clunky.

Ahhh, I didn't realize that the SEC had eliminated their divisional setup in hoops.

The problem with that is if both ones and two play ten home and nine away games, than someone gets 11 home games

Yeah, that wouldn't be ideal, but then again it wouldn't be that big of deal. I'm just kind of throwing ideas around to think about really; I'm not sure I would go this way myself. The best way was how it used to be when you could play every team in the conference twice thus ensuring fair scheduling. It bothers me that with 14 teams the schedules can be drastically different from team to team.

Top Bottom