Spreads now released for the entire season: Gophers favored in each of first 7 games

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
Favorite on the left, home team in CAPS. All spreads per 5dimes.eu as of 8/22:

--

MINNESOTA -26 vs. Buffalo

Minnesota -1 @ OREGON STATE

MINNESOTA -15 vs. Middle Tennessee

MINNESOTA -10.5 vs. Maryland

Minnesota -11 @ PURDUE

MINNESOTA -4 vs. Michigan State

MINNESOTA -13.5 vs. Illinois

IOWA -4.5 vs. Minnesota

MICHIGAN -14.5 vs. Minnesota

MINNESOTA -2 vs. Nebraska

NORTHWESTERN -5.5 vs. Minnesota

Wisconsin -10 @ MINNESOTA

--

FYI 5dimes has a spreads for virtually every game in 2017 (over 400 total), but you have to have an account in order to view.

Nothing surprising to me besides the fact we are road favorites at Oregon State. Thought we would be 1 - 3 point underdogs.

Now the question is can the squad hit the ground running and start 6-1 or 7-0??

Thanks for the update, but while I do look at them. I only glance at them as it seems like they aren't very accurate.

Thanks for the update, but while I do look at them. I only glance at them as it seems like they aren't very accurate.

A fair point given 5dimes has imposed limits of $300 to $1,000 depending on the game. As the season approaches and bets are placed the limits will go up and the accuracy of the spreads will become more reliable.

That being said, they will also pull all the spreads down come Week 1 and then proceed one week at a time based on how the teams are playing, injuries, etc.

Were favored over Nebraska?

Seems to be the case.

Nebraska expected by many to be down this year. O/U win total sits at 7 games and the computer models (S&P, FPI) expect them to win six games.

Question marks everywhere for Nebraska. To quote Bill Connelly on Nebraska: "Nebraska is one of the most fascinating programs to me this year. I have no idea what to expect from Mike Riley’s Cornhuskers. With turnover in virtually every unit — new quarterback, new starting running back, new Nos. 2-4 receivers, new starting center, top two tacklers gone on the defensive line and at linebacker and a new starting safety/centerfielder"

Only surprise to me was being 1-point favorites at Oregon State. I thought spread would be closer to 7 or 10 points, in our favor. Gonna be a tough game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only surprise to me was being 1-point favorites at Oregon State. I thought spread would be closer to 7 or 10 points, in our favor. Gonna be a tough game.

You're in the minority here. Many people are saying how tough it will be to win out there.

--

Minnesota -11 @ PURDUE

IOWA -4.5 vs. Minnesota

--

FYI 5dimes has a spreads for virtually every game in 2017 (over 400 total), but you have to have an account in order to view.

Nothing surprising to me besides the fact we are road favorites at Oregon State. Thought we would be 1 - 3 point underdogs.

Thanks for finding that.

--

Minnesota -11 @ PURDUE

IOWA -4.5 vs. Minnesota

--

Three road games ??? That's a new head coaches dream!!

You're in the minority here. Many people are saying how tough it will be to win out there.

To be fair, many are claiming basically every game will be tough for us to win this year.

At this point, we pause for this reminder:

point spreads are designed and intended to get people to place bets on games. they are not necessarily meant to predict the outcome of a game. as bets are made on one team or the other, the point spread can and will be adjusted if the bookies don't like the way the bets are coming in.

so, you can talk about how team A or team B is favored, but it probably just means that the bookies are hoping people will place bets a certain way - because the goal is for the bookies to make money - not for the fans of Team A or Team B to feel better about their team's chances.

At this point, we pause for this reminder:

point spreads are designed and intended to get people to place bets on games. they are not necessarily meant to predict the outcome of a game. as bets are made on one team or the other, the point spread can and will be adjusted if the bookies don't like the way the bets are coming in.

so, you can talk about how team A or team B is favored, but it probably just means that the bookies are hoping people will place bets a certain way - because the goal is for the bookies to make money - not for the fans of Team A or Team B to feel better about their team's chances.

True, it is early, but a large majority of the time the spreads are uncannily accurate.

I'll be the guy to note that while being favored in any given game is one thing (and some of these by 1 or 2....) actually winning all the games you're favored in is usually highly unlikely.

Probability is weird.

Gophers Favored in First 7 Games

My condolences to PJ. News that the Gophers are favored in the first 7 games has to be gut wrenching. But we have soooo many problems...we have no lettermen...we have no quarterbacks....we have no linemen...we have no experience....how can we be picked to beat anybody???? Bad day for PJ... lol

Seems to be the case.

Nebraska expected by many to be down this year. O/U win total sits at 7 games and the computer models (S&P, FPI) expect them to win six games.

Question marks everywhere for Nebraska. To quote Bill Connelly on Nebraska: "Nebraska is one of the most fascinating programs to me this year. I have no idea what to expect from Mike Riley’s Cornhuskers. With turnover in virtually every unit — new quarterback, new starting running back, new Nos. 2-4 receivers, new starting center, top two tacklers gone on the defensive line and at linebacker and a new starting safety/centerfielder"

Riley will be firmly on the hot seat if this happens.

My condolences to PJ. News that the Gophers are favored in the first 7 games has to be gut wrenching. But we have soooo many problems...we have no lettermen...we have no quarterbacks....we have no linemen...we have no experience....how can we be picked to beat anybody???? Bad day for PJ... lol

Don't worry - we won't be favored in our first 7 games. Don't get me wrong, though, this is a tremendous betting opportunity. There is some major money to made from this web site betting against the Gophers. I have us at 5-2 or 6-1 through 7, but with those spreads I would bet against the Gophers in every.single.game.

Based on what?

The only reason that we're favored against OSU right now is injuries.
If they look okay against CSU then they will be favorites after week one.
If Michigan State or Iowa pull off a single upset in their first several games (regardless of how we look) we will not be favored against them either.
We might have PJ, but we are still Minnesota.
We won't get any respect unless we're undefeated entering November.
Then we'll get upbilled against Michigan in a Saturday night game and get slaughtered on national tv, as is tradition.

Based on what?

My prediction. I could be wrong...we will see. Didn't we just have a Sagarin post predicting that we would be favored in 5 of our first 7? I don't think my prediction is that outlandish.

The only reason that we're favored against OSU right now is injuries.
If they look okay against CSU then they will be favorites after week one.
If Michigan State or Iowa pull off a single upset in their first several games (regardless of how we look) we will not be favored against them either.
We might have PJ, but we are still Minnesota.
We won't get any respect unless we're undefeated entering November.
Then we'll get upbilled against Michigan in a Saturday night game and get slaughtered on national tv, as is tradition.

Iowa isn't among the first 7 games. Unless we totally come out and sh1t the bed, we are virtually guaranteed to be favored in each of the first 7 with the possible exception of Oregon St. And if we come out week 1 and curbstomp Buffalo by 40 like we should, we'll definitely be favored week 2 as well.

Iowa isn't among the first 7 games. Unless we totally come out and sh1t the bed, we are virtually guaranteed to be favored in each of the first 7 with the possible exception of Oregon St. And if we come out week 1 and curbstomp Buffalo by 40 like we should, we'll definitely be favored week 2 as well.

In my opinion OSU could go either way by a point or two, but I would really be shocked if we are favored against Michigan State. Despite their bad season last year, they are simply a better program than us and have better players pretty much across the board. Ultimately, I hope I am wrong - if we are favored in each of our first 7 games it means we are having a good year which is always a good thing. I just don't see it happening in 2017 unless PJ is even better than I think he is.

^ That is funny.

Top Bottom