Sagarin Preseason Predicitons

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
I'm back for another year of predictions using the Sagarin ratings as a guide. After each week, I'll update the predictions below and keep track of how far off the formula was for each game.

Last year, the preseason predictions were pretty spot on in terms of wins and losses - it had us as favorites against Oregon State, Indiana State, Colorado State, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois and Purdue, and a pick against Northwestern. We'd go on to win all of those games and lose the rest.

That said, even a blind squirrel finds a nut, and while last year's predictions were right from a W/L perspective, don't expect that to be the case this year too. These ratings depend on games being played and connections between teams being made, so things shift around quite a bit through the first few weeks of the season before settling in.

Basically, this is a guess at how it might go - so don't get too upset if it doesn't show you exactly what you want right now. It's just for fun anyhow :)

As we look at the first predictions for the year, it's clear there's not a lot of clarity. We have some games we should win handily - Buffalo, Illinois - and some games where the formula doesn't give us much of a chance. But we have three games where we're currently underdogs by less than five points - Oregon State, Michigan State, and Nebraska. The difference between a winning season and a losing one probably lies in those tightly-contested toss-up games. Win them all and we could be looking at another 8-4 type of year. Lose them all and bowl eligibility is in question.

I look forward to a fun season - thanks for reading again this year!

A reminder on how I arrive here, I take Jeff Sagarin's predictor ratings (found here), and calculate what the computer says the spread should be, for now through the end of the season. Negative numbers favor the Gophers, positive favor the opponent.

vs Buffalo -22
@ Oregon State +2.5
vs Middle Tennessee -9.5
vs Maryland -7.5
@ Purdue -7
vs Michigan State +4.5
vs Illinois -10.5
@ Iowa +6.5
@ Michigan +16.5
vs Nebraska +4
@ Northwestern +10.5
vs Wisconsin +14

Final record: 5-7 (3-6)

Likely in the W column (>7-point advantage to Minnesota): vs Buffalo, vs Middle Tennessee, vs Maryland, vs Illinois
Toss ups (no team with a greater than 7-point advantage): @ Oregon State, @ Purdue, vs Michigan State, @ Iowa, vs Nebraska
Likely in the L column (>7-point advantage to opponent): @ Michigan, @ Northwestern, vs Wisconsin

Other than the game being in Corvallis, what is it about OSU that makes people make this could be an L for UMN. I thought there were issues at key offensive positions.

Thanks for always doing this, I enjoy it.

Go Gophers!!

Other than the game being in Corvallis, what is it about OSU that makes people make this could be an L for UMN. I thought there were issues at key offensive positions.

It was a close game for us last year, and they're returning some talent (including Nall, who is very good). If they figure out how to throw the ball, their offensive line turns spot-duty experience into useful starts, and their secondary holds up, they'll be not awful. Bill Connelly has a good preview here.

Don't they play at 8:00 PM Pacific Time which is like 10:00 PM Central Time? That will advantage OSU.

Agree on this. The other one that stands out to me is Northwestern +10.5. I know the talking heads love the Cats (again -- they seem to every year now) and we're on the road. But 10 points?

The UM and OSU game is basically a wash in the Sagarin ratings with OSU getting the bonus points for being the home team. If the game was played at TCF the Gophers would be favored. Sagarin really has no frame of reference early in the year so they have to do the best they can based on previous performance, players returning, etc... It will start to work itself out as there is more data available.

The UM and OSU game is basically a wash in the Sagarin ratings with OSU getting the bonus points for being the home team. If the game was played at TCF the Gophers would be favored. Sagarin really has no frame of reference early in the year so they have to do the best they can based on previous performance, players returning, etc... It will start to work itself out as there is more data available.

I don't believe the two should be equal. The Beavers offense was awful last year (105th TO) and below avg on defense (79th TD). I can't see the Gophers taking a significant enough step back to say these two are a wash.

Let me count the way:
1. A new D scheme
2. A new O scheme
3. No QB with any experience.
4. 57 offensive linemen coming off surgery (I exaggerate).
5. V thin st D Back
6. Very, very thin at wide.receiver.

That's not enough? Still expect to win, though!

Let me count the way:
1. A new D scheme
2. A new O scheme
3. No QB with any experience.
4. 57 offensive linemen coming off surgery (I exaggerate).
5. V thin st D Back
6. Very, very thin at wide.receiver.
7. Implementing a new culture
8. 50 FR/RFR

That's not enough? Still expect to win, though!

You missed a couple. :)

Enjoy looking at this from week to week, so thanks for doing it G7

I absolutely understand that going 0-5 down the stretch is possible but if that does happen it will be a pretty tough pill to swallow.

I absolutely understand that going 0-5 down the stretch is possible but if that does happen it will be a pretty tough pill to swallow.

I mostly agree with Sagarin, but I think they'll find a way to win a rivalry game down the stretch and make it to 6 wins.

Only winning one toss up would be quite disappointing.

Thanks G07. This is one of my favorite threads each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really think the key game is the Oregon State game. Been saying that for months. That's the game to watch. I think a win there is huge. If this team can stay healthy I see it getting better as the season goes on. I don't see how people can say "why is Oregon State a tough game". We BARELY beat them last year at home. They are in the 3rd year of their system and played well at the end of last year. They are playing at home in front of a home crowd and will be jacked up! It's a night game as well. I think the Oregon State game will show as where we are at, Buffalo obviously won't and I don't think MTSU will either. I think a difference with this coaching staff is that we will see the team get better as the year goes on (if they can stay healthy). Once Fleck gets a QB, that's when this program will take off.

Love when you post this stuff Gopher07. It seems pretty accurate to me. Especially when you consider +/- 7 a wash. Thanks!

This will all change on a week to week basis depending on how both MN and its opponents fair from week to week. Lets beet Buffalo by 50 for starters and see how it plays out.

Looks like we vastly underperformed this year.

I actually probably would have mocked and ridiculed this at the beginning of the year. I thought we would win 7!

Well, there are 4-5 win teams that are on the cusp, e.g. 2013 TCU or 2015 MN losing a lot of close games and then there are teams that had the good fortune to play 5 really awful teams and were blown out by good competition. This year we didn't beat the teams we should have and Nebraska and Oregon State were thankfully much worse than expected.

We were hobbled by some really key injuries along the way: Winfield, Lingen, Johnson, Kiondre, Shenault, Durr among many others along the offensive line and a lack of development in spots. Pretty much everything wrong that could go wrong.

Top Bottom