Zulgad: Gophers’ failure to identify starting QB a reminder of where Kill went wrong

That could be due to a number of factors related or not related to Lee. All I said is he was 'sacked a bunch of times', which is true, and you called it fake for whatever reason.

Twice a game is not a bunch of times. Hack had well over 40 sacks in one season, 39 the next IIRC and they weren't the worst in FBS.

As opposed to your scouting assessment, which is that everyone is unbelievable if coach just would give them a shot in a game? I'd love to hear where my scouting assessment has been off? Probably because I didn't pick Demry to finish all-conference, huh?

When did I say anything remotely close to that?

Take a little breather.

Twice a game is not a bunch of times. Hack had well over 40 sacks in one season, 39 the next IIRC and they weren't the worst in FBS.

How much do you want to bet that Lee has a better season than any Gopher QB?

I think it's funny that you are convinced Lee is so terrible, yet Riley has a history of producing good passing offenses and NFL QBs.

I don't know if he will be good or not. I know nothing about his team or coaching at Tulane.

What do we know?

1. Not well recruited out of HS in heart of football country.
2. Worse than average statistics. Threw a lot of picks.
3. He will be be moving up a grade in defensive talent.
4. Looks good on the practice field.
5. Played with starters vs 2nd team defense in spring.

The balance of the evidence suggests he may struggle or be pedestrian. He may do better and light up the conference and I'll be happy to eat my shirt.

For what it's worth, I was at a USD game last fall that was very winnable for USD, but for competent QB play. If you liked Leidner's passing acumen then you'd love Strev as your QB. Frankly, a guy who is legitimately a big 10 QB should be on an all conference team in FCS. In fact, Strev isn't even close in the Missouri Valley and the fact he ended up at USD tells you that there are much better QBs at better MVFC teams. Strev was always a stretch at QB now that the forward pass is legal in tackle football.

I didn't see him play at USD but his numbers passing aren't too bad. 60.1% completion, 22 TD, 9 INT while close to 200 yards a game. Certainly not great but not terrible either.

Streveler was 2nd team all conference.

Many FCS teams give Power 5 teams fits. Obviously there is a talent differential however.

Is being piss poor at Div 1 G5 Tulane > average to good at Div 1 FCS USD? That's a new paradigm.

I also think it's humorous the way that that Lee is being characterized as "potentially" something he clearly has demonstrated he is not. Said it before, but the best description of him to me is he's ML, without the ability to run...at all.

Success at a lower level is a prerequisite to even be considered for the next level. Does college performance correlate to NFL ability despite the huge difference in talent? Somewhat. To say there is NO correlation is absurd. Obviously arm strength and accuracy become more important as the defensive players become faster (and smarter).

Agree. Funny how some of the posters who talked about the need to bring in a JuCo QB transfer are now on the opposite side of the argument...

The QB position at MN has been hampered by the revolving door at head coach, and the changing styles. IMO, with great RBs, MN should be running more of a pro-style offense, focusing on throwing QBs, and keeping them healthy be limited their carries. Seems like a definitive identity is needed. Problem probably solved by keeping Fleck around for 10 years.

Phil had the talent.

His development was not good.

The rest is history.

But the talent was there.

Phil had the talent.

His development was not good.

The rest is history.

But the talent was there.

PN9 had the talent. Unfortunately, he was all about PN9 and in the end that got him booted from here - and the rest is history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom