Mitch Leidner signs with the Vikings

For anyone on twitter, reading the responses to the Vikings tweet is comedy gold.

Saw many on Facebook. It's more sad to me than funny. I get the frustration but the hate by some is ridiculous to me. The guy did his best. He wasn't a 4 or 5 star guy. Most expected him to switch positions and never play a single down at QB. More frustration should be directed at the former staff for not recruiting and developing someone better.

Saw many on Facebook. It's more sad to me than funny. I get the frustration but the hate by some is ridiculous to me. The guy did his best. He wasn't a 4 or 5 star guy. Most expected him to switch positions and never play a single down at QB. More frustration should be directed at the former staff for not recruiting and developing someone better.

Exactly...why blame a local kid who worked his butt off and came to play every day and and every down and played up and beyond his limited potential as a QB? Instead I blame the Coaches who failed to recruit true talent at the QB position.

Sounds like a certain banned member has taken to Twitter and FB with his ML obsession.

Honestly everything I've ever heard about him points to the fact he is probably an excellent practice player.

7 on 7 national champ in high school.
Full ride due to a great camp performance.
Able to be a 3.5 year starter even while his play on the field was not always stellar.

He probably simply looks better than most in practice.

Ok, I'll admit to several chuckles checking out the Twitter GIF replies, but goodness gracious people are hateful! Here the Vikes are probably thinking, "We need a 4th QB to take the 2nd half of our last preseason game so Bradford and Keenum don't get hurt. Why not sign the local kid, Leidner? Fans will LOVE us throwing a bone to the U!"

Yikes.

One thing I like about Spielman and the vikes is they always throw U kids (and local kids not necessarily from the U) a bone on tryouts/training camp/practice squad/etc. and it's paid off! I realize that it's pandering but hey these kids do have talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I like about Spielman and the vikes is they always throw U kids (and local kids not necessarily from the U) a bone on tryouts/training camp/practice squad/etc. and it's paid off! I realize that it's pandering but hey these kids do have talent

Good for him. Nobody expected Marcus Sherels to still be playing and it looks like he may keep his return job.

Good for him. Nobody expected Marcus Sherels to still be playing and it looks like he may keep his return job.

Sherels has had a legit NFL career. He's beaten the NFL average buy a long shot. Vested in retirement. Happy for the kid.

Wishing Mitch good luck on continuing his football career. Go Gophers and Go Vikings!

Sorry it's 11 days.

Not anymore they do not. They can keep up 90 players on the rosters until after final preseason game. after that they make the cuts. New NFL rule on that.

I was aware of that.
The final preseason game is in 11 days.

The team's third QB on the active roster (Heinicke) missed practice due to injury, so the team needed an extra arm.

My son was bummed out. Mitch had been working with the Edina football team, so he got to hang out with him.

Atta boy Mitch. He'll probably get a few nice checks and it could set him up financially for the rest of his life

Atta boy Mitch. He'll probably get a few nice checks and it could set him up financially for the rest of his life

Pay for camp is minimal. Pay for practice squad is ~125k a year which is quite nice for a recent grad- but not setting him up for life by any means

The replies are definitely harsh but also pretty funny. This link should work whether you have a Twitter account or not:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chasecar7/status/899300429368045568/photo/1

And to me the people replying with serious anger about a 3rd string Quarterback who will likely never see the field in the regular season need to re-evaluate their priorities in life.

Pay for camp is minimal. Pay for practice squad is ~125k a year which is quite nice for a recent grad- but not setting him up for life by any means

Agree. He'll get a good start on a nest egg, but it will hardly get him set for life.

Plot thickens, could get practiced squad with Heineke getting hurt. That dude gotta be in Zimmer's doghouse after last year

5 Things to Know About New Vikings QB Mitch Leidner

Here are five things to know about the newest Viking, a native of Lakeville, Minnesota:

1. While at Lakeville South
Leidner led Lakeville South High School to a 15-7 mark during his junior and senior seasons and he helped the Cougars win the 2010 section championship as a junior when he passed for 2,096 yards and 17 touchdowns. He followed by passing for 1,872 yards and 20 scores as a senior. Leidner was twice named honorable mention all-state, and he was all-conference in basketball as a junior.

2. Dual threat with the Golden Gophers
The Star Tribune reported in 2011 that Leidner’s performance in a 7-on-7 passing tournament led to a scholarship offer from the University of Minnesota. Leidner played for former head coaches Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys during his time with the Golden Gophers. He finished his college career second in school history in completions (580) and attempts (1,029), third in passing yards (7,287) and fifth in passing touchdowns (36).

Leidner is the only quarterback in Gophers history to pass and rush for 30 or more touchdowns. His 33 rushing touchdowns are the most in school history by a quarterback, and his 1,495 rushing yards are the third-most by a quarterback. Leidner appeared in 47 games and started 41. He went 24-17 as a starter.
Leidner was teammates at Minnesota with Isaac Fruechte and becomes the third former Gopher on the Vikings roster, along with Marcus Sherels.

3. Combine performance
The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Leidner was able to showcase his athleticism at the NFL Combine as a top-performing quarterback in several on-field timing and testing drills.
Among quarterbacks, his vertical jump (34.5 inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 3 inches) ranked second, his time in the 3-cone drill (6.96 seconds) ranked sixth, and his time in the 20-yard shuttle (4.25) tied for fourth.

4. Stints with other NFL teams
Leidner was not selected in this year’s NFL Draft, but he was invited to the Baltimore Ravens rookie minicamp. He also had workouts with Jacksonville and Detroit.

5. Another Vikings connection
Leidner has been able to build a relationship with former Vikings quarterback Rich Gannon, who won the 2002 NFL MVP with Oakland.

In advance of Leidner helping Gannon at a football camp on June 20, the Jordan Independent ran a story about the budding relationship.

“I was out in Eden Prairie training and I was looking for a guy who could help me with the Xs and the Os. Someone to help workout with, watch how I perform and tell me how to get better. ... Rich was willing to help me without skipping a beat,” Leidner said.

“He knows the West Coast Offense, and he’s really helped me pick that up. All of the terminology we worked on during the winter, when I got into mini-camp with the Ravens and Jaguars, I was very easy to pick-up their playbooks,” he added. “Rich never lets you slip up. Whether a ball is six inches [too] high, he’s letting you know every time.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-...2-f3d3f6d6736d

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

The replies are definitely harsh but also pretty funny. This link should work whether you have a Twitter account or not:

https://mobile.twitter.com/chasecar7/status/899300429368045568/photo/1

And to me the people replying with serious anger about a 3rd string Quarterback who will likely never see the field in the regular season need to re-evaluate their priorities in life.

Agree. The memes are funny but some people need to just take a deep breath.

If the Vikings had signed an anonymous QB to throw into the fire for 2 preseason games, you wouldn't see this snark/angst from the pro sport fans in the city. It's Mitch Leidner, and this collection of mouth-breathers have bought into all the sarcasm from our media for the last 3 years. I know some people are fans of both the Gophers and the Vikings (and that's fine) but many Vikings fans feel a prerequisite for being a fan is hating on the Gophers. It shows that they are big time and that college football is beneath them.

He was working as a bite squad delivery driver...what was his degree in?

Football is still his focus right now. From the articles I've read the bite squad thing is just what he was doing when he wasn't at the gym. Not really a career.

Kurt Warner was working at a grocery store or something like that when he got the call to the NFL.

Idk about the rest of his life... but better than a bite squad paycheck, sure...

Remember that Glen Taylor started working sweeping floors. Everybody works their way to the top differently. Also Taylor and Leidner probably appreciate the low level guys much more than most rich guys. Its about building relationships. I wouldn't rule Leidner out in anything he does. He is a hard worker and will keep plugging away to achieve his dreams.

The order for Warner was as follows:

-Packers tryout (1994)
-HyVee
-Iowa Barnstormers (1995-97)
-Amsterdam Admirals (1997)
-St. Louis Rams third string QB (1998)
-Trent Green injury (1999)

Top Bottom