PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 8-20-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max. (and I didn't have to work.........)

Sid: talk about decision to start both QB's
PJF: something we've been working on for a while since spring ball. we play in B1G - to think we'll go through season with only 1 QB, that's crazy. understand about not having experience. both played well in training camp. but if one happens to get hurt, we're just going back to where we started. my job is to give those young men more experience. if you're picking a QB with no true game experience, then you're just guessing who's going to play well in the game. they've both earned it. it's a positive situation for both of them. other teams have won nat'l championships and played 2 QB's. we have the ability to play a guy as a SR (Rhoda) who deserves to play, and Demry Croft is part of the future plan. proud of both, proud of progress they've made.

Sid: talk about the ability of each QB
PJF: Connor's been here 5 years, has the maturity. he's at least played in 1 game. smart, makes decisive decisions. wonderful leader. Croft incredible athlete. he's developing his own leadership style. becoming a good leader. has a big arm. he's running the system better. can escape the pocket. doesn't have experience.

Sid: which one will start 1st game?
PJF: that's the next decision to make. one will start, then we will switch after a few series. could be based on game plan.

Sid: neither one has experience....
PJF: Connor 1 game. Demry 1 half. least experienced QB situation in country. that's something I'm excited about for the future. glad Connor does have 1 game, but he's playing in a new offense, new defense, new system. going with 2 QB's for right now - don't know how they'll handle game in new system. eventually, we'll find a way to settle in on 1, I want to do that. (playing 2 is) best thing for team right now.

Max: (when to change QB's) Is that the toughest decision to make - momentum?
PJF: When I coached under Jim Tressel at OSU, we were the #1 team in country, playing TX. Jim decided the 2nd series of the game we were going to play our #2 O-line for development. we scored on 1st drive. our #1 O-line was excited - Tressel put the 2's in, because it was the best thing for program. It's not a knee-jerk reaction. based on giving guys chances to show what they can do in games. not going to have kids fearful of making a mistake (and getting taken out). don't want fear to be a motivator. as year goes on, make decision on who's going to play more. don't want kids afraid of making mistake. coaches will have a plan before game. (which one plays more) depends on opponent.

Sid: you used 2 QB's at your last school.
PJF: at WMU, played 2 QB's. went 1-11. that proves the point - you need 2 QB's to play. if we had a guy who was experienced, it would be easier to pick a 1 and a 2. easier to know what we're going to get. at WMU, kid got hurt, Zach Terrell went in. last year, played Tom Flacco a lot. needed Tom to get experience. as Head Coach, have to be prepared for unknown. If I knew what they were going to do in games, it would make decision easier.

Dave: are you excited to coach a real game?
PJF: really excited. pleased in terms of nat'l attention the U of M is receiving. proud of players and staff. I cannot wait to coach FB. the dream is in the process. I'm living the dream every day. humble and thankful for opportunity. can't wait to watch this team grow - get better in all 4 areas of life. been practicing against each other - we're sick of each other. can't wait for an opponent. have a lot of work to do.

Sid: what did you do in practice yesterday?
PJF: mock scrimmage. closed practice. covered over 40 different situations that might come up in a game. If all 40 things happened in the same game, I think the universe would explode (laughs). trying to show the team a worst-case scenario. examples of what could happen - substitutions - crazy special-teams situations. maybe things happen in a game that you didn't prepare for. (as coaches, we) collect a database of situations - go back and rehearse what might happen.

Sid: Murray's.
PJF: RTB, Ski-U-Mah.

Sid: talk about the ability of each QB
PJF: Connor's been here 5 years, has the maturity. he's at least played in 1 game. smart, makes decisive decisions. wonderful leader. Croft incredible athlete. he's developing his own leadership style. becoming a good leader. has a big arm. he's running the system better. can escape the pocket. doesn't have experience.

To me the part I italicized above is the concerning part of this decision. While it may be coach speak, Fleck has gone on the record multiple times praising Rhoda's leadership ability but has not done the same for Croft. I hope he realizes that it is in fact possible to be a good quarterback without being an extroverted, influential locker room leader.

Perhaps this decision to play two QBs is his way to continue pushing Demry into that leadership role, as well as give him options come September if either plays poorly.

Thanks SON. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice summary SON. Thanks

To me the part I italicized above is the concerning part of this decision. While it may be coach speak, Fleck has gone on the record multiple times praising Rhoda's leadership ability but has not done the same for Croft. I hope he realizes that it is in fact possible to be a good quarterback without being an extroverted, influential locker room leader.

Perhaps this decision to play two QBs is his way to continue pushing Demry into that leadership role, as well as give him options come September if either plays poorly.

Later in the show, they were talking to Vikings Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur, and they got into that same discussion about Sam Bradford. Shurmur went into a long defense of Bradford. He said you don't have to be the loudest guy in the room to be a leader, or be the guy jumping up on a bench and giving a fiery speech. Shurmur said the players respect Bradford because he works hard, and because he'll stand in the pocket and take a hit.

It all gets back to what the Coach wants. If Fleck wants the QB to be a rah-rah guy, that may not be Croft's thing. Ironically, that was supposedly one of the reasons why some members of the former staff liked Leidner over Nelson, because Leidner was more of the "leader" type. Coaches are who they are, and they want what they want. If they want a rah-rah guy as QB, that's what they're going to get. Hopefully, it works out best for the team.

Just hypothesizing here but let's say Croft clearly outplays Rhoda vs Buffalo. If Rhoda plays vs Oregon State and we are defeated...that may create some issues not only in the fan base but on the team. Vs Buffalo is going to be fascinating as far as what we see on the field and how each guy is utilized.

PJ: "least experienced QB situation in country." Give me a break...whoa is effing me... Oregon State comes to mind...their guy doesn't have any Division 1 experience. We have two guys who have played in games for the Gophers, one who started, completed the game and won. Tons of teams with quarterbacks who have zero experience with their present college team. The greatest comfort factor is knowing your teammates and your surroundings. Our guys have been here for years.

PJ: "least experienced QB situation in country." Give me a break...whoa is effing me... Oregon State comes to mind...their guy doesn't have any Division 1 experience. We have two guys who have played in games for the Gophers, one who started, completed the game and won. Tons of teams with quarterbacks who have zero experience with their present college team. The greatest comfort factor is knowing your teammates and your surroundings. Our guys have been here for years.

Yeah, I was going to comment on that .......but figured what for?
That's his new narrative, I guess.

PJ: "least experienced QB situation in country."

I also find it really interesting how PJ's narrative has changed from the "we're going to compete for championships" statements at the introductory press conference to the "we have 50 first and second year players" line he's said about 20 times by now.

Thanks for the report Son. The quarterback situation is what it is and that is much unknown. We'll soon find out ready or not.

Thanks S.O.N.

Just can't understand why there are people who constantly remind others that we're seeing and hearing the "real" P.J. Fleck seem to think he's lying about the QB situation.

His explanation is perfectly understandable and reasonable.

"Sid: talk about decision to start both QB's

PJF: something we've been working on for a while since spring ball. we play in B1G - to think we'll go through season with only 1 QB, that's crazy. understand about not having experience. both played well in training camp. but if one happens to get hurt, we're just going back to where we started. my job is to give those young men more experience. if you're picking a QB with no true game experience, then you're just guessing who's going to play well in the game. they've both earned it. it's a positive situation for both of them. other teams have won nat'l championships and played 2 QB's. we have the ability to play a guy as a SR (Rhoda) who deserves to play, and Demry Croft is part of the future plan. proud of both, proud of progress they've made."

I also find it really interesting how PJ's narrative has changed from the "we're going to compete for championships" statements at the introductory press conference to the "we have 50 first and second year players" line he's said about 20 times by now.

He never said we were going to compete for championships in 2017.

Ironically, that might fall to the school he just left. He is inheriting a virtual goldmine of experience compared to WMU.

Yeah, it is hard to follow sometimes. TBH, I've stopped listening to PJ all together. Other than the new narrative of the week he just keeps saying the same things over and over. He says them over and over. Over and over. I'm looking forward to the season and to watching how some players develop, but I plan on hitting the skip button on my DVR when I see PJ being interviewed - just as I did during the BTN preview show. I already have the slogans memorized.

Between Fleck's QB decision punt, the lowered expectations campaign, and the BTN show seems like morale is about 10x lower than a week ago.

Fleck is sandbagging. We will run up 60 points on Buffalo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g7-tskP0OzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Between Fleck's QB decision punt, the lowered expectations campaign, and the BTN show seems like morale is about 10x lower than a week ago.

Fleck is sandbagging. We will run up 60 points on Buffalo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g7-tskP0OzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Morale is about 10x lower for the fans or the players? I'm still positive about the Gophers.

I've long said it will be hard to win a lot of games until we know what our QB play is like.

Neither one of these two could beat out Leidner for the starting job last year (or even get much playing time for that matter).

That's really inexperienced.

They each are probably the least experienced in the NCAA because any other QB in the NCAA has been getting the majority of snaps in fall practices where each of these guys are only getting 50% in a brand new system.

Easily the least experienced in the NCAA.

This is why I'll be shocked and over-joyed if we get to 6 wins this year.

I've long said it will be hard to win a lot of games until we know what our QB play is like.

Neither one of these two could beat out Leidner for the starting job last year (or even get much playing time for that matter).

That's really inexperienced.

They each are probably the least experienced in the NCAA because any other QB in the NCAA has been getting the majority of snaps in fall practices where each of these guys are only getting 50% in a brand new system.

Easily the least experienced in the NCAA.

<b>This is why I'll be shocked and over-joyed if we get to 6 wins this year.</b>

A year ago on here people thought the problem was fans "accepting mediocrity". Now the issue seems to be if you aren't accepting of that.

Morale is about 10x lower for the fans or the players? I'm still positive about the Gophers.

I'm positive as well. I'm also positive Fleck is sandbagging. I think some are disappointed Fleck didn't come out and say one guy is going to light it up and he's excited to watch them grow in the offense this season.

To me, the two starter thing indicates he acknowledges Croft may be anywhere from slightly to significantly more talented but he needs someone that fits his definition of a leader thus he's using Rhoda as an example of that and pushing him. I don't buy the "we need to get two guys experience" explanation.

I wonder if during the introduction of the first Being PJ he was lecturing Croft. I cant know for sure, but it sure sounds like he was saying he wanted whomever it was lead the team, "hand him the keys", and he can't let a guy that shows up a minute late to do that. There was another snippet of him telling a guy he needs to speak up more that may have been Croft.

Totally understandable one cannot play a guy that breaks team rules like being late. I'm more concerned if he's not considered a good leader because he isn't gregarious or doesn't sit in the middle of the front row. Obviously Fleck gets what Fleck wants and this is his baby. In Fleck we Trust and we cannot know what goes on inside the building.

That doesn't really bother me, as I believe the system change will make a huge difference. I think Ciarrocca's system would've even made Leidner look like a capable passer.

A year ago on here people thought the problem was fans "accepting mediocrity". Now the issue seems to be if you aren't accepting of that.

Last year was supposed to be the Big Ten West and we didn't get too close...
Claeys wasn't ever going to be the guy to take us there so new leadership was needed.

With new leadership and a new QB, you might have to take a couple big steps back before moving forward.

Top Bottom