Fleck or Herman, who would you rather have?

DEGopher

Reaction score
I was thinking that the Gophers actually acquired a better coach than Texas.

I think this because Fleck, as a head coach, built a team from nothing to undefeated in 4 years. Herman, on the other hand had only 1 year as head coach with relatively good talent (relative to the league UH plays in), lost 3 games, but had one marquee win.

What do you all think?

Living here in UT country I have stated many times that I think Minnesota got the best coach available in the off season. Herman will most likely do well at Texas, but all things considered, I'll take Fleck. It's interesting that everyone knows Herman down here but there head is so far up the back end they don't know anything about Fleck or Minnesota, can't wait to educate them.

Fleck all day everyday and twice on SATURDAY! I'd take Matt Rhule over Herman too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an interesting question as I think they were probably the two best coaches on the market this past season. I feel like Herman wouldn't have left Houston for Minnesota as he likely would have viewed those two opportunities in the same light i.e. stepping stone to a big time program. Fleck seems like he wants to stay in the Midwest which limits his mobility a little. Plus, I think Fleck's 'inspirational' style is more what Minnesota needs to take a little step...Herman seems to me to want to recruit a bunch of flashy athletes that ultimately just wouldn't come to Minnesota. I think if the Gophers are ever to get to the wisconsin level, it will be with someone like Fleck - who is so unique that he can change the direction of a boulder rolling down hill for 50 years.

If I were Texas, though, I might prefer Herman to Fleck. I think both schools hit home runs and got their 'best case scenario.'

I was thinking that the Gophers actually acquired a better coach than Texas.

I think this because Fleck, as a head coach, built a team from nothing to undefeated in 4 years. Herman, on the other hand had only 1 year as head coach with relatively good talent (relative to the league UH plays in), lost 3 games, but had one marquee win.

What do you all think?

Herman was HC at Houston for two seasons. He went 13-1 and beat 9th ranked Florida State in the Peach Bowl. He beat Oklahoma, he beat a good Louisville team. He did drop a few head scratchers last year.

He is a proven offensive mind, proven OC with success at several stops. Urban Meyer, himself a spread savant selected him as OC for his power spread attack at Ohio State and they rolled over Wisconsin on their way to the title. That alone is cause for a celebration.

He collected the 36th ranked recruiting class at Houston last year, his first full class.

Personally, I'd take Herman all day long although I'm excited about Flecks recruiting prowess and his build at WMU. If he can build here I'll be the first to contribute for a statue, although I think JB probably already beat me.

Thanks for correcting me on Herman's seasons and record with UH.

I also think you bring up many good points on Herman, but I just can't give him a whole lot of credit for what he did at tOSU. What OC has failed under the guidance of Urban Meyer?

Fleck stands out in my mind by turning around WM. where as Herman did inherited a more successful squad and a lot more talent at UH.

I'd argue that Herman is probably the overall better coach, but Fleck is a better fit for us in terms of rejuvenating lackluster fan interest and building Minnesota into a national program that it should be.

I definitely agree that Fleck was a way better hire for us, more of what we need.

Herman was HC at Houston for two seasons. He went 13-1 and beat 9th ranked Florida State in the Peach Bowl. He beat Oklahoma, he beat a good Louisville team. He did drop a few head scratchers last year.

He is a proven offensive mind, proven OC with success at several stops. Urban Meyer, himself a spread savant selected him as OC for his power spread attack at Ohio State and they rolled over Wisconsin on their way to the title. That alone is cause for a celebration.

He collected the 36th ranked recruiting class at Houston last year, his first full class.

Personally, I'd take Herman all day long although I'm excited about Flecks recruiting prowess and his build at WMU. If he can build here I'll be the first to contribute for a statue, although I think JB probably already beat me.

I think Josh is way ahead of me.

I also think you bring up many good points on Herman, but I just can't give him a whole lot of credit for what he did at tOSU. What OC has failed under the guidance of Urban Meyer?

Fleck stands out in my mind by turning around WM. where as Herman did inherited a more successful squad and a lot more talent at UH.

Houston did not have highly ranked classes 2011-2015. Anywhere from mid 50s to 89. Those lowly ranked guys guys beat a bunch of ranked teams in 2015 and started out hot in 2016 beating a highly ranked Oklahoma before going off the rails a little vs SMU. That's why they play the games. Gotta love college football. Overconfidence?

The Fans at OSU seem to have missed Herman after he left. They turned to Kevin Wilson for this season which will be interesting to watch.

While what you say is true about the level of talent at UH, I do think it was much more than Fleck inherited.

tOSU fans are disappointed every year they don't win a national championship. Not sure they have a realistic idea of success.

I actually compare Herman to Strong (texas' last coach). Both were coordinators under Meyer, both won national titles with Meyer, and both found success at mid major schools by upsetting perineal powers.

I saw what Strong did at texas' so it's easy to see a rinse and repeat scenario going on there.

Nobody is a sure thing. Even supposed sure things have down years. Except Saban.

Would we take Saban?

They each got the best guy for their particular situation. I think Rhule at Baylor will be interesting to follow because that seems like a true fish out of water hire.

Fleck was a great hire for Minnesota. Herman was a great hire for Texas. For some reason I don't think I could switch them around and come to the same conclusion.

Xs and Os aside, I think Minnesota needed a guy like Fleck. Infectious energy and a nature to win.

After watching a Being PJ marathon this afternoon I have increased respect and appreciation for Fleck the person. Obviously his drive is second to none and he seems to have a great perspective and has so many shared values. His motivational methods may rub some guys the wrong way but it's exactly what others need to bring them out of their shells. Loved his perspective on visiting the ill children -people do need to bring perspective into their lives. Will all this translate into beating Ohio State or the Badgers? I think it can only help. RTB!

Fleck was a great hire for Minnesota. Herman was a great hire for Texas. For some reason I don't think I could switch them around and come to the same conclusion.

These are my exact thoughts.

Both programs got the right guy.

Ed Warinner

IMO, Fleck was the pick of the litter and it's not close.

Time will tell.

Given the choices, Fleck. First choice for me was Sumlin.

Top Bottom