What is your most disappointing recruiting "miss"?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
With the recent talk of missing on many big time local players (Tre, Tyus, Reid Travis, Rashad Vaughn, JP Macura, etc etc etc) I was thinking about who I was most disappointed to find out that they weren't going to be a Gopher.

I never really settled on anyone. Curious to see what everyone thinks.

Isaiah Dahlman was high on my mental list, only because we are similar in age and I thought he was really enjoyable to watch in high school. Plus, he ended up in the B1G. Obviously his career never worked out as expected.

Lid' without question. Man among boys. I think we win 1 or 2 B10 titles with him.

Jerry Gee for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reid Travis, without a doubt... Especially considering I flew home from the east coast to see his announcement in person, and then was blocked from entering the building with a bunch of other Gopher fans who were also there for his "open to the public" announcement. I remember standing there with my buddies, and a father and son who had driven up from Iowa for the announcement, and then all of us had to watch it on our phones while standing right outside of DeLaSalle High School. Huge bummer!

Note: His announcement wasn't the only reason I flew home, but it was the spark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khalid_El-Amin

Don't recall how his recruitment went; did he consider MN?

Wasn't he committed here at one point?

Corey Joseph would have been a major difference maker. Our point guard depth was decimated in 2010-11. Corey Joseph could have turned that weakness into a strength, and we could have been a top 25 team instead of the mess that season turned into.

Royce White. I know he commited but wish he would have played a year or two.

Royce White. I know he commited but wish he would have played a year or two.

To commemorate my 500th post on GopherHole, I'd just like to say you're a jerk for basically stealing my username.

Only kidding, Happy Friday! Go Gophers!

Khalid El-Amin by far. Second would be Doug Wren back when following recruiting was a new thing for the casual fan, and all information came via Sid's column.

Khalid and Royce. It was bittersweet watching Khalid lead UConn to a national championship. And Royce, the one year he played at Iowa State, he was truly awesome to watch...

Admit I'm thinkly mostly about this team and what it's lacking, so I'll go with Macura. This squad could use a sniper, and Macura is certainly much more than that.

I gotta go with Chris Weber also. More talented than any of the other players and could have helped establish the U as a powerhouse.

Glenn Rice, Jerry Gee and Khalid

Unless he had serious thoughts of following Vo here, did we really have a legit shot at Weber? I don't recall that being the case. It seems like he was going to be part of a package with Rose and Howard as both were top 10 recruits.

Khalid and Wren. Khalid because he was ours to lose. (Weber, Marbury and a couple of the others were pipe dreams. I never thought they were coming.). Khalid really should have been a gopher. Wren because it seemed like the saga went on for five years and there was a daily update. He did absolutely everything but sign. I don't think he did much in college, so he wouldn't have been a difference maker. Man, his recruitment went on forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what is up with the made up recruits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly you aren't a fan of Gopher hoops historically. Clem coached Marbury multiple years with the USA program and it was down to us and Georgia Tech.

Unless he had serious thoughts of following Vo here, did we really have a legit shot at Weber? I don't recall that being the case. It seems like he was going to be part of a package with Rose and Howard as both were top 10 recruits.

He was the #1 player in the country and Clem got him in for an official visit, so while it may not have been huge, as Lloyd Christmas said "so you're telling me there's a chance."

Top Bottom