Nike release 'Jelly Fam' PG1 Colorway shoes

When you see things like this:
"Every kid in New York tries to Jelly at every chance."

It really makes you believe that IW is not only going to make us better on the court, but is going to have a recruiting impact for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From his tweet I'm not sure if he had much to do with this or if he's all that happy about it

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From his tweet I'm not sure if he had much to do with this or if he's all that happy about it

I don't like it either. He's doing all the work to promote the brand yet Nike is the one making money off it. These shoes should be released after IW is done with college and he should get a cut.

Wonder if he can copy write it? One could consider it then to be a business, and therefore he should be able to make money off of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is some of what's wrong with college athletics right here. If a computer science student released his own indie video game, he'd be able to sell it on Steam and make money off it, but a basketball player arbitrarily can't profit off what he created. Even if you don't support schools paying players, I don't see why they should be disallowed from making deals on their own time.

This is some of what's wrong with college athletics right here. If a computer science student released his own indie video game, he'd be able to sell it on Steam and make money off it, but a basketball player arbitrarily can't profit off what he created. Even if you don't support schools paying players, I don't see why they should be disallowed from making deals on their own time.

Slippery slope.....many "deals" would come out of the woodwork if that was the case.

Wonder if he can copywrite it? It's been a business, and therefore should be able to make money off of it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jahvon Quinerly, a member of Jellyfam, sent out a tweet saying that they did copyright it.

This got too much attention and most of the links in Rand's story and in this thread are now dead....

Suspicious....?

Edit:/Addon: I was suspicious of this story from the jump. Slam Online's link was never a retail link. "Jelly Fam" customs have shown up before with the Kyrie shoe, and the kicker, per the original article they were only available in kids sizes? Why in the hell would they do that?

No doubt this is a big phenomenon, but I HIGHLY doubt Nike made a Jelly Fam shoe (I could be wrong)

This got too much attention and most of the links in Rand's story and in this thread are now dead....

Suspicious....?

Edit:/Addon: I was suspicious of this story from the jump. Slam Online's link was never a retail link. "Jelly Fam" customs have shown up before with the Kyrie shoe, and the kicker, per the original article they were only available in kids sizes? Why in the hell would they do that?

No doubt this is a big phenomenon, but I HIGHLY doubt Nike made a Jelly Fam shoe (I could be wrong)

Yeah, I looked for them on the Nike site and other retail outlets. Never found them. Thought it was weird but figured Slam, IW, Rand, etc would know what was going on more than me.

Exploitation of a stupid system. Nike really deserves all profits from a brand made entirely by kids...

Slippery slope.....many "deals" would come out of the woodwork if that was the case.

Again, so what? In literally every other aspect of life other than 'amatuer' athletics people can be paid by whoever wants to pay them for whatever reason and can sell whatever they want as long as it is legal. The NCAA has folks brainwashed into thinking that their rules designed to control players are somehow correct. This kid has built a brand but can't profit on it if he wants to play college ball because.... reasons

Again, so what? In literally every other aspect of life other than 'amatuer' athletics people can be paid by whoever wants to pay them for whatever reason and can sell whatever they want as long as it is legal. The NCAA has folks brainwashed into thinking that their rules designed to control players are somehow correct. This kid has built a brand but can't profit on it if he wants to play college ball because.... reasons

The argument isn't again IW and JellyFam. A booster could pay a kid $200k to wash his car, under the guise of his elite car washing ability. This is the slippery slope.

The argument isn't again IW and JellyFam. A booster could pay a kid $200k to wash his car, under the guise of his elite car washing ability. This is the slippery slope.

Exactly.....

I do understand the frustration of the athletes. However, it still is amateur athletics in my mind, despite the big business that college athletics (particularly basketball/football) has become. Do we really want this to turn into a bidding war for the best players? Let them go directly to the pros and market themselves that way.

Not even close to being true. A banker cannot accept a "tip" from a customer. It's illegal for a cop to accept a bribe.

IW signed a contract worth over $250k with the U of M with language regarding NCAA rules and regulations. Like it or not, he must follow the rules of that contract.

Not even close to being true. A banker cannot accept a "tip" from a customer. It's illegal for a cop to accept a bribe.

Basically any cooperation, government agency, professionals licensed by the state.... etc. etc...

Maybe he will cash out, get the money from Nike, drop out of the U and go play Euroball. .02% chance.

Nice job with your "selective bolding". This sentence is finished with the line, "as long as it is legal". He could've worded it more carefully, but thank you for misconstruing the point of his message into your own vendetta, because ya know, the conversation about IW really benefited from your comment.

In other news, I hope IW isn't getting screwed here, and I'm excited to watch him play!

Nice job with your "selective bolding". This sentence is finished with the line, "as long as it is legal". He could've worded it more carefully, but thank you for misconstruing the point of his message into your own vendetta, because ya know, the conversation about IW really benefited from your comment.

In other news, I hope IW isn't getting screwed here, and I'm excited to watch him play!

Haha, what vendetta do I have? I just thought that part was a little over the top and inaccurate.

The way it was worded I thought he meant you can sell anything you want as long as it is legal. The examples I gave have nothing to do with selling something. My bad if I misunderstood.

Either way, I still think he is wrong. No-compete clauses, for example, limit how employees make money after they leave their job with the company.

I get it and that's my point. If someone wanted to give a music student $200k to produce his record they could. If someone wanted to pay a bio major $10k to walk their dog they could. Its only the athletes that can't make outside money from their talent and its ONLY because the NCAA has decided they can't so as to better control kids. If a booster wants to pay a kid then go ahead.

But someone could pay a banker to do their taxes outside of work. A cop can make money doing security on the side. Nothing tells a banker he can't use his skills to make money elsewhere. A banker can also negotiate for higher pay or go elsewhere for higher pay. College athletes can't.

Exactly.....

I do understand the frustration of the athletes. However, it still is amateur athletics in my mind, despite the big business that college athletics (particularly basketball/football) has become. Do we really want this to turn into a bidding war for the best players? Let them go directly to the pros and market themselves that way.

You contradict yourself. In your mind its 'amateur' though you admit its big business. That's why the whole thing is a farce. And don't kid yourself, its already a bidding war in EVERY area except the paycheck. Facilities, training tables, gear, support staff, etc. I'm fine with bidding wars because at least the players stand to benefit more than they do now.

But someone could pay a banker to do their taxes outside of work. A cop can make money doing security on the side. Nothing tells a banker he can't use his skills to make money elsewhere. A banker can also negotiate for higher pay or go elsewhere for higher pay. College athletes can't.

They aren't required to play college athletics.

You contradict yourself. In your mind its 'amateur' though you admit its big business. That's why the whole thing is a farce. And don't kid yourself, its already a bidding war in EVERY area except the paycheck. Facilities, training tables, gear, support staff, etc. I'm fine with bidding wars because at least the players stand to benefit more than they do now.

This issue doesn't keep me up one way or another but I think it would be a bigger farce if you opened it up even further. Do we really want boosters buying the teams we root for at the collegiate level? I guess I don't.

Top Bottom