BTN Bus Tour show

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
I know there is a MN Day BTN thread, but I wanted to specifically talk about the show.

The BTN crew seems to unanimously think this is not a 9 win team and doesn't have the talent this year to compete for a West Championship.

I was surprised how down Dinardo seemed to be on the Gophers. I thought the show was superficial and weak compared to previous years but maybe that's just me. Seemed like pretty short interviews and poor editing. I'll be honest, I thought it was garbage.

If I had to bet, I wouldn't bet on 9 wins (I'd bet 7, regular season) but I don't think 8 reg season wins and a bowl win is nearly the stretch they seemed to think. Weak. What do others who watched it think? How did you perceive/view it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't watch the show, but anything over 4-5 wins I'll consider a wonderful year for young PJ.

Yeah they seemed pretty down on the talent level and said they expected them to look a lot better two years from now. Also said the defensive backs look behind the rest of the defense which is expected. They did not seem impressed overall.

I know there is a MN Day BTN thread, but I wanted to specifically talk about the show.

The BTN crew seems to unanimously think this is not a 9 win team and doesn't have the talent this year to compete for a West Championship.

I was surprised how down Dinardo seemed to be on the Gophers. I thought the show was superficial and weak compared to previous years but maybe that's just me. Seemed like pretty short interviews and poor editing. I'll be honest, I thought it was garbage.

If I had to bet, I wouldn't bet on 9 wins (I'd bet 7, regular season) but I don't think 8 reg season wins and a bowl win is nearly the stretch they seemed to think. Weak. What do others who watched it think? How did you perceive/view it?

Pretty good analysis of the show. Was also surprised how they thought team was down in talent.
The editing was terrible, especially the interviews with Celestine and the Smith&Brooks one.

They were pretty high on MSU last year. There's a reason they play the games. I'm always curious for outside opinions on individual talent but football is the ultimate three phase team game.

Another thing, Dinardo and Griffith have repeatedly stated their love for traditional power run teams e.g. Iowa and Wisconsin and now Nebraska and he's skeptical of spread offenses in the Big Ten. A fair opinion and one many here share but there are so many opinions about football teams. I'd guess they are taking a wait and see approach on the offense and they see how young we are on the D back end.

New staff, lots of questions at various positions. I can't blame them...

The problem with the BTN tour stop at Minnesota is that if you follow the program like most of the GopherHolers do, there is really nothing new that you learn by watching the program. It a vanilla show. I did catch early in the show that they referred to the new facilities as just catching up as opposed to passing other programs, interesting!

After watching the BTN Bus Tour Crew recap, do you all think it is possible that PJF got with the fellas and said,

"Guys, we have a shot at doing something special this season but please keep positive comments to a minimum and downgrade everything and make it sound like we are lucky to even be in the BIG. Make it sound like we have a JuCo type roster and have absolutely no business being talked about in the West as even having a chance. Make it sound like you don't want to be here and the Minnesota stop on the tour sucks to have to do. Just go through the motions and leave town as quick as possible. Oh, and hang out with Glen Mason at Murray's, he also hates us and wants to see Minnesota lose, that will help you get into the proper mentality for your show. Thanks guys, Ski U Mah and Row The Boat"

Because that is the message that came across. Good Night!!

I didn't watch the show, but anything over 4-5 wins I'll consider a wonderful year for young PJ.

c'mon man. 4-5 wins is a definite possibility, but to say over that is "wonderful" is silly.

The analysis was barely a rehash of the Chicago Kickoff. Stephen Richardson, Smith and Brooks.
And the the consensus they will go as far as their enthusiasm will take them, was pure disdain for the program.

They were pretty high on MSU last year. There's a reason they play the games. I'm always curious for outside opinions on individual talent but football is the ultimate three phase team game.

Another thing, Dinardo and Griffith have repeatedly stated their love for traditional power run teams e.g. Iowa and Wisconsin and now Nebraska and he's skeptical of spread offenses in the Big Ten. A fair opinion and one many here share but there are so many opinions about football teams. I'd guess they are taking a wait and see approach on the offense and they see how young we are on the D back end.

If you're a BIG TEN NETWORK show and you want your fans to watch without alienating the whole group, a couple things you have to do is not make an ass out of yourself by alienating a fanbase.
So who is it easier to say will be mediocre, Minnesota and Purdue, or Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

If I were a host, I would go with the perennial powers until proven otherwise. Winning teams have more active fan bases, so you cater to the powers of the past.
If we start winning, we'll enjoy the additional coverage as well.

I didn't really have a problem with them stating/thinking that.

I am expecting 7-8 regular season wins but I can't blame them for thinking "they definitely won't win 9 this year." I don't think thats much of a stretch. They were realistic.

DiNardo's comment about " catching up" was a slap across the face. He's an old school coach who can't stand the type of energy PJ brings. Then you have Chuck Long in the studio hyping his
Iowa brothers Watley and Jewel and giving the Gophers a shot at 7-5. Didn't mind the 7-5 comment, but he was pretty critical about the QB situation. All in all a very poor report from the top down. You can tell Mase and DiNardo arn't exactly "best buddies" Early in the year last year they were in the studio together for the BTR. and they both took a couple of swipes at each other. As the year went along they weren't seen together.

I thought Di Nardo was dismissive of our progress and disdainful toward our program, as is normal for him. That's been his attitude toward the U since forever. It was most obvious when he rolled his eyes at the Athletic Village and said the U is just getting in the game, and "not passing anyone." It was also on display when he asserted that our talent level is way down, and the team is in need of rebuilding.

I thought Long's take was fair. He said the Gophers could start 5-0 and he predicted seven wins. He didn't say seven wins was their ceiling, just his predicted win total.

DiNardo's comment about " catching up" was a slap across the face. He's an old school coach who can't stand the type of energy PJ brings. Then you have Chuck Long in the studio hyping his
Iowa brothers Watley and Jewel and giving the Gophers a shot at 7-5. Didn't mind the 7-5 comment, but he was pretty critical about the QB situation. All in all a very poor report from the top down. You can tell Mase and DiNardo arn't exactly "best buddies" Early in the year last year they were in the studio together for the BTR. and they both took a couple of swipes at each other. As the year went along they weren't seen together.

I didn't see the rampant negativity others did. I just finished watching the show and like I said before they preconceived notions about the spread, RPO, etc. They aren't going to give props to an inexperienced CB crew.

Nice to see them give props to Richardson. As far as body type he issuch a freak of nature physically I genuinely think scouts are perplexed. "His arms are short". "Yeah, but he can't be blocked". "Short". "Production". "Those arms tho." "Ideal penetrator".

Long has always been an unapologetic Iowa homer. Mason to my ear has been pretty fair re: the Gophs. Many of the studio guys have their preferences, biases, and allegiances that color their commentary.

Nice to see them give props to Richardson. As far as body type he issuch a freak of nature physically I genuinely think scouts are perplexed. "His arms are short". "Yeah, but he can't be blocked". "Short". "Production". "Those arms tho." "Ideal penetrator".

It's far more than just his 'arms being short'. He's somewhere around 5'10". I can't think of any NFL DT who made it sub 6'. It's a long shot he'll get drafted.

Is there anyone besides me who would like to see Richardson in at fullback on a short yardage goal line situation?

It's far more than just his 'arms being short'. He's somewhere around 5'10". I can't think of any NFL DT who made it sub 6'. It's a long shot he'll get drafted.

If you can point me in the direction of a similar player I'll wait. You can't think of any because his body type is so rare.

You and Galt...

Jerry Ball was a nose tackle. He was always listed at 6 feet but known to be shorter. I think he had an okay career.

Is there anyone besides me who would like to see Richardson in at fullback on a short yardage goal line situation?
I hadn't thought of that. That would be fun. It would be great to see him get a bone with a carry, or better yet, slip out of the backfield for an uncontested touchdown pass.
I liked Coach Kill, but he was definitely no frills. I enjoyed some of Gambling Glen's gadget plays. Does anyone know if Fleck has some pizzazz and surprises up his sleeve? I never caught much of his W. Michigan teams.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Only if they give him the rock!

Instant Mich flashback...:(

If you can point me in the direction of a similar player I'll wait. You can't think of any because his body type is so rare.

You and Galt...

Rare because he's short is not a good thing when trying to play DL in the NFL. A GM is more likely to take a flier on a less productive 6'4" 320 lb DT than a more productive but undersized player. That's just the way it is and it's not limited to just football either. There are many productive, but undersized players in college that don't make it in pro sports when they have to start practicing/playing every day against the biggest and the best athletes in the game.

Jerry Ball was a nose tackle. He was always listed at 6 feet but known to be shorter. I think he had an okay career.

Ball was 6'1" 330 lbs.

There is a reason why Dinardo and Mason and long aren't coaching anymore. Like lack of good judgment. So I wouldn't take anything they say to seriously. As to comments about our new facilities, just shows how of touch they really are. Perhaps Mace knows about present day facilities, but I'm sure the others didn't realize about players eating in hallways,not enough showers, etcc

If he has a good year, he'll get drafted in my opinion. It may not be very high, but I think someone will take a chance.

There is a reason why Dinardo and Mason and long aren't coaching anymore. Like lack of good judgment. So I wouldn't take anything they say to seriously. As to comments about our new facilities, just shows how of touch they really are. Perhaps Mace knows about present day facilities, but I'm sure the others didn't realize about players eating in hallways,not enough showers, etcc

so basically ignore anyone who isn't coaching a winning team? So despite being good enough and knowledgeable enough to become the HC of a D1 program, they know nothing.

I don't think any of these guys hate MN or have disdain or anything like that. They just don't think we're all that good. Plus its true that the Athlete's village is just us getting back to par. There are programs spending as much as we are on just FB facilities or just a stadium.

If he has a good year, he'll get drafted in my opinion. It may not be very high, but I think someone will take a chance.

Agree. Though slightly taller Aaron Donald kind of opened the door for shorter DT's Mr. Richardson will need to have a strong combine/ Senior Day.

My sense of the show: BTN is really into promoting "star" players. I think they look at the MN roster, and they see three players - Smith, Brooks and Richardson as "stars." But, if I'm reading them right - if you don't have a "star" QB, in their eyes, you don't have an offense. They were pretty dismissive of the two-QB idea. It also seems that the BTN crew feels the Gophers are going to have a more difficult time transitioning to Fleck's system. It was almost like they are discounting most of the returning players with the argument that "Fleck needs to recruit his players for his system."

Also thought it was interesting that only Mike Hall in the studio mentioned that the team won 9 games last year. For the 3 guys in MN and Chuck Long, it was almost like last season never happened, and everything is starting over this year with Fleck.

Unfortunately they dismissed the new facilities in the background. I do believe it separates us from some of elite programs

Unfortunately they dismissed the new facilities in the background. I do believe it separates us from some of elite programs

I'm not sure they dismissed them so much as said they "get us in the game." Which I think is accurate, the Village is a HUGE upgrade from what we had, but really just brings us on par with Michigan State, Texas, Oregon, Alabama, Clemson, etc. Iowa just built new facilities, even programs like Purdue are pumping money into their training and team facilities. So while we've definitely removed a disadvantage, we haven't given us a distinct advantage over everyone (certainly over some teams)

I'm not sure they dismissed them so much as said they "get us in the game." Which I think is accurate, the Village is a HUGE upgrade from what we had, but really just brings us on par with Michigan State, Texas, Oregon, Alabama, Clemson, etc. Iowa just built new facilities, even programs like Purdue are pumping money into their training and team facilities. So while we've definitely removed a disadvantage, we haven't given us a distinct advantage over everyone (certainly over some teams)

Here's where DiNardo disagrees with you. He says we haven't passed anyone. And he sure doesn't put us on par with Michigan State, TX, OR, etc etc.

Top Bottom