P.J. Fleck on Gophers quarterbacks: 'we're going to play both

Kind of like that they will both get time in the opener. Maybe one will rise up and grab the spot in a real game.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Make em show you in real time. No problem with that.

I think they will both be under center on the first play, take the snap together, and throw simultaneously.

I think they will both be under center on the first play, take the snap together, and throw simultaneously.

Could do the two ball trick. That'll confuse the defense. My son did it in hockey once when he threw a puck on the ice during a HS playoff game...

The way Ryan Burns is making it sound, Buffalo is horrendous so we can afford to have both QBs play. My hope is that there is one starter that emerges and takes the reins come B1G play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the O-line struggles even a little bit, which it will...it'll be Croft. A least he can run for his life.

I just hope he's not going to purposefully Leidner/Nelson it all season, just to use this season as a stop gap until Morgan or Armstrong are ready. I'd hope he wouldn't sacrifice now, to get "his guy" in next season. But coaches tend to like their recruits.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Brought up Rhoda's leadership, but added the importance of getting Croft experience so that we're not in the same situation next year.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...-rhoda-demry-croft-tied-in-qb-race/440953493/

In terms of a starter — they're both the starter," Fleck said. The first-year Gophers coach didn't say which QB would take the field first, but said "we're going to play both."

Either this is coach speak or he's actually going to rotate quarterbacks...

Saw a clip were he explained the situation. Sounded very articulate and reasonable about his decision. From his explanation, good for him for not trying to force the situation.

I know some people don't buy the concept of a "gamer" - a player who, for some hard-to-fathom reason, struggles in practice situations but finds a spark and elevates his play in real game situations.

But, I believe that some people are "gamers" - they need the adrenaline rush of a crowd to really come to life.

It might be - note I said it might be - that one of the QB's on the Gopher roster will turn out to be a "gamer" and claim the position for his own.

Or, it might be that all of the QB candidates are equal (could be equally good - could be equally bad), and we are looking at a QB Carousel all season long.

We'll know more in two weeks.

... and throw for an 80 yard TD that's called back for twelve men on the field. Sk-U-Mah & RTB!

I know some people don't buy the concept of a "gamer" - a player who, for some hard-to-fathom reason, struggles in practice situations but finds a spark and elevates his play in real game situations.

But, I believe that some people are "gamers" - they need the adrenaline rush of a crowd to really come to life.

It might be - note I said it might be - that one of the QB's on the Gopher roster will turn out to be a "gamer" and claim the position for his own.

Or, it might be that all of the QB candidates are equal (could be equally good - could be equally bad), and we are looking at a QB Carousel all season long.

We'll know more in two weeks.

1000% agree. A game is very different than any practice or scrimmage. No problem if PJ wants to see how each does under real pressure.

Co-Staters? Take that to mean QB of the future isn't Croft.

Either redshirt on the squad this year or hasn't been recruited yet.

Hopefully Croft elevates his game and takes the spot at some point this year. Better for the team long term.

No problem with letting them perform in a game situation although it's a bit frustrating. Fleck wins either way: if the team struggles he can blame a bare and inexperienced cupboard at QB and if a guy emerges then "hey look who we developed". It will be interesting to finally be able to watch how they react against a foreign defense.

I am curious if they are as neck and neck as he says. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the complex as I wonder if Fleck is leaning one way and the Xs and Os guy Ciarrocca is leaning another. Sort of Leidner/Nelson Part Two. To many of us po' uninformed folk Croft seems to bring more to the table from an athletic standpoint but have to trust the coach are going to eventually choose the guy with the best overall decision making and skills to make their scheme go. What Fleck wants in a leader...an enthusiastic and hyper extroverted individual in his image may not always coincide with the most talented player. Some guys are more mellow and thoughtful.

Wisconsin played two qbs last year and they did all right

I think in most situations like this you have a more experienced guy who played at least some, then a young guy who the coach picked who he eventually wants to unseat the veteran.

Here you have two guys, both with no experience, neither of whom are guys PJ will want leading the team in year three.

Play them both in games and hope one of them doesn't suck rocks and get through year one and win 4-5 games.

I think in most situations like this you have a more experienced guy who played at least some, then a young guy who the coach picked who he eventually wants to unseat the veteran.

Here you have two guys, both with no experience, neither of whom are guys PJ will want leading the team in year three.

Play them both in games and hope one of them doesn't suck rocks and get through year one and win 4-5 games.

:rolleyes:

Honestly, this bit never gets old.

This snippet from 2016 should help shed some light on Fleck's mindset, better or worse. It looks like Terrell split time with a Sr. QB the first game, the Sr. started the next 4 games (and played poorly) and Fleck turned to Terrell.

Regarding Fleck's statement he had a rotation two years, one with Flacco, well Flacco had all of one pass attempt in 2016 and rushed a handful of times.

“When I first met Zach Terrell, just like everybody, you ask who they are, you kind of look them up and down. Wow, this is one of the quarterbacks we have to work with. We’d go to practice and he had a great work ethic, but he was very quiet, he didn’t say much.”

After one of those early practices, Fleck called Terrell to his office — and bluntly laid it on the line.

“I think you’ve got talent, but you don’t talk, you don’t communicate, you’ve gotta be better, you’ve gotta be the leader,” Fleck said. “You’re either gonna believe, or I can help you go somewhere else.

“He said, ‘Coach, you’ve got me all wrong. That’s not what I am.’ ”

What Terrell is, is a four-year starting quarterback who has been instrumental in taking Western Michigan from 1-11 in 2013 to 12-0 and ranked No. 13 this season heading into Friday night’s Mid-American Conference championship game against Ohio at Ford Field.

“Jump with two feet in or jump with two feet out,” Fleck said, recalling that early conversation. “I’m so glad he made the decision he made."

“He had to take a leap of faith forward.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...terback-terrell-glad-stayed-broncos/94581220/

I support this as long as we have one game plan for the two quarterbacks and not 1 game plan for each quarterback. When it's clear that one quarterback is coming in for certain plays and the other comes in for other plays, it becomes painfully easy to stop.

Well Rhoda won't be here in year 3, and I'm sure Fleck would be happy to play Croft in year 3, that would likely mean Croft was a solid QB in year 2. I don't think Fleck is going to ignore talent if it is there, just for the sake of playing his guys.

As long as they have a clear #1 come Maryland, I don't see a problem with treating the non-con as a preseason to figure out the QB situation. They won't lose to Buffalo or MTSU regardless...

Fleck on BTN, said that 4 out of he last 11 National Champions, had used a 2-QB combinations.

Nice how he snuck it in too.

Gophers’ Fleck wants to see game experience in Croft, Rhoda - TwinCities.com

Fleck stressed the need for further assessment of how his QBs perform with “true game experience.”

“If I was to tell you I know exactly how those quarterbacks are going to play in a game, that’s a guess,” Fleck said.

After two-plus weeks of training camp, Croft and Rhoda — who each have 17 career pass attempts — were deemed equals in the competition. Like Croft and Rhoda have throughout all six open practices, they readily switched in and out for snaps with the first-team offense in Thursday’s practice. Each has had successes and setbacks in camp, with them both trending upward.

“What that tells me, this late in training camp, as that continues to be the case, that both of them deserve to play,” Fleck said. “This is going to be a competition with each other, not against one another when we hit the season.”

Fleck said he doesn’t know who might get the majority of the snaps at the start, but he noted the added lead time before the season opener on a Thursday night and the subsequent week-plus before the second game at Oregon State on Sept. 9 will give both quarterbacks ample time to prepare. The game plan for Buffalo will begin to be implemented next week.

“This is not a controversy,” Fleck said. “This is two guys who are going to start. They both have earned the right to play.”

As Croft and Rhoda gain experience, Fleck and offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Kirk Ciarrocca will reassess who could move up to a starter and who might slide into a backup role.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/17/gophers-fleck-names-two-starting-quarterbacks-to-begin-season/

Hopefully Croft elevates his game and takes the spot at some point this year. Better for the team long term.

Which would lead me to believe that Rhoda has been playing better because if Croft were playing even slightly better or the same the decision would have been easy.

Top Bottom