Shama: Intrigue May Last at U QB Position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Fleck is choosing between redshirt senior Conor Rhoda and redshirt sophomore Demry Croft. Rhoda is a former walk-on now on scholarship who has started one game with the Gophers, a win at Maryland last fall. Croft has no starts and played minimal minutes behind former starter Mitch Leidner who has graduated.

Based on past experience and reputation, neither player rates high with media who cover Big Ten Conference football. In its Big Ten football issue, Athlon Sports magazine ranks the Minnesota quarterback group or unit No. 13—ahead of only Rutgers in the 14-team league. Lindy’s in its college football publication wrote: “The options at quarterback lack experience and could be a season-long drag on the offense.”

Fleck, of course, is being positive. “What I love about both of them (Croft and Rhoda), is they’re both getting better,” he said after practice on Tuesday. “It hasn’t been an easy decision to say this guy has won the job, because they’re both playing at a high level.”

Fleck and his staff will implement details for the Buffalo game with players next week in preparation for the opener at TCF Bank Stadium. “I am not going to wait much longer,” Fleck said regarding the quarterback decision.

No doubt, though, whoever is named the starter for Buffalo won’t receive a guarantee to play quarterback for 12 games. Fleck and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca know performance may dictate change—perhaps even more than once.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Yup sounds about right. Still wants to pick a guy before game prep. I can get on that boat. I would have liked to see Rhoda really distinguish himself this off-season, but perhaps that wasn't meant to be.

Fleck told the media it will be a "co-starter" situation. My hope is that the Buffalo game will be a trial run and a starter will be named after. I don't think you can go to Oregon State expecting to play two quarterbacks and win. The pressure on the road is tough enough...having a guy that will jump in if you throw a pick makes it even worse. I really hope this doesn't drag out for too long.

Top Bottom