GopherSports: Football Fans Shape New Game Day Experiences; New Food Vendors

Actually, you didn't just show these to be true - you simply stated them as if they were. I disagree based on personal experience. That simple. I have tailgated at other stadiums and don't agree with you that we have a better set up. You thinking we do doesn't make me any more likely to believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 11 of the main tailgate lots at the U are within a block of the stadium. Iowa has a good amount of lots near the stadium, but most spots are at least a few blocks from the stadium. Lincoln has a few small lots surrounding the stadium, but the majority of their lots you have to cross the railroad tracks, and then go under the freeway. Not ideal. And Wisconsin has extremely limited parking near the stadium. And all of their tailgate lots are small. So no, none of those have closer or cheaper parking, which was your original argument. This can easily be proven by anyone doing a quick Google search. Your experience tells you otherwise likely from the atmosphere created by all the people getting there early to party. But that wasn't your argument.

All 11 of the main tailgate lots at the U are within a block of the stadium. Iowa has a good amount of lots near the stadium, but most spots are at least a few blocks from the stadium. Lincoln has a few small lots surrounding the stadium, but the majority of their lots you have to cross the railroad tracks, and then go under the freeway. Not ideal. And Wisconsin has extremely limited parking near the stadium. And all of their tailgate lots are small. So no, none of those have closer or cheaper parking, which was your original argument. This can easily be proven by anyone doing a quick Google search. Your experience tells you otherwise likely from the atmosphere created by all the people getting there early to party. But that wasn't your argument.

My experiences tell me there are more options/spaces within walking distance (what I consider near the stadium) and that I have never paid what the U charges for a tailgate spot in walking distance to TCF. I just Googled "Spoofin's Tailgate History", but nothing came up.

Actually, you didn't just show these to be true - you simply stated them as if they were. I disagree based on personal experience. That simple. I have tailgated at other stadiums and don't agree with you that we have a better set up. You thinking we do doesn't make me any more likely to believe it.

We definitely do compared to Wisc and NW.

Been to 20+ gophers games at Camp Randall. There used to be a bunch of smaller what I called pop-up tailgate parties not related to UW close to the stadium, but those have shrunk over the past 3-5 years. There are a number of bars that have parking lot parties, but as development has happened, some of those places have closed as well.

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely more festive than TCF, but they also are the big show in town.

Been to 20+ gophers games at Camp Randall. There used to be a bunch of smaller what I called pop-up tailgate parties not related to UW close to the stadium, but those have shrunk over the past 3-5 years. There are a number of bars that have parking lot parties, but as development has happened, some of those places have closed as well.

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely more festive than TCF, but they also are the big show in town.

Agreed. I didn't include jNW (been there twice) or Purdue (been there once) as in my experience they weren't better. I didn't include WI in my top list only to say "even Madison is better" as I don't view the difference as much - from a tailgate perspective (Madison has a much better bar scene B4 games).

Agreed. Places like Iowa, Wisc, and NE are way more festive and a much better tailgating experience. In large part because that is the only game in town and people make a weekend out of it. But that by no means they have closer or cheaper parking. Just goes to show how great of an atmosphere we could have here if people would just get to campus when the lots open!

When it comes to tailgating I would think tradition, success, and just volume of tailgaters is the key. Not really sure how much the school can do about that directly.

I believe Jax Cafe has been in the West Plaza for awhile now. I've always gotten a bacon wrapped hotdog prior to kickoff every home game. They also have awesome loaded tots as well.

Swedish meatballs and buffalo wings from Jax Cafe are a must-have for me. They've been serving food on the plaza for years now.

Agreed. Places like Iowa, Wisc, and NE are way more festive and a much better tailgating experience. In large part because that is the only game in town and people make a weekend out of it. But that by no means they have closer or cheaper parking. Just goes to show how great of an atmosphere we could have here if people would just get to campus when the lots open!

You're right that the University of Minnesota doesn't own any additional parking that they're not using for tailgating. But there are plenty of businesses with smaller lots that could be used for tailgating. Many of them provided that for half of the first season with the new stadium, before they were all shut down. There's a city ordinance against that. However, the U prefers it that way -- it keeps all the tailgating money in their pockets. There's an exemption to the ordinance around the dome for Vikings games. The U could make that happen in Stadium Village if they wanted to. They don't want to.

I think there are a lot of people partying before games. Unfortunately, it's all spread out and you don't see them. They're at the fairgrounds, at East River Flats, inside at Sally's. Just bringing all the people -- already pregaming -- closer to the stadium would make a major difference.

You're right that the University of Minnesota doesn't own any additional parking that they're not using for tailgating. But there are plenty of businesses with smaller lots that could be used for tailgating. Many of them provided that for half of the first season with the new stadium, before they were all shut down. There's a city ordinance against that. However, the U prefers it that way -- it keeps all the tailgating money in their pockets. There's an exemption to the ordinance around the dome for Vikings games. The U could make that happen in Stadium Village if they wanted to. They don't want to.

I think there are a lot of people partying before games. Unfortunately, it's all spread out and you don't see them. They're at the fairgrounds, at East River Flats, inside at Sally's. Just bringing all the people -- already pregaming -- closer to the stadium would make a major difference.

I think you hit the nail on the head. How do you get all those people partying over to the stadium. I think selling alcohol out of Mariucci can help bring more people to that area, along with having the radio pre-game show live from that area as well instead of over by the open end of the stadium. We need other ways to get people in that area.

It's ironic that a lot of people on this board like to rip on the Vikings, or blame the Vikings for a drop in attendance and interest for Gopher Football - but what I see on this board is that people want the Gopher Fans to be more like the Vikings fans when it comes to tailgating and general enthusiasm.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Vikes fans have embraced the tailgating culture (there's that word again) and are generally louder and rowdier than the Gopher Fans. Of course, some of the rowdiness is because the average blood alcohol level of a typical Vikes fan is probably 3 times higher than the BAC of a typical Gopher fan.

But, just saying - the Gopher fans could learn something about tailgating from the Vikings fans. Of course, nothing will top the old Met Stadium days. Some of the spreads that people used to put out at the Met looked like a professional buffet line at a wedding reception.

It's ironic that a lot of people on this board like to rip on the Vikings, or blame the Vikings for a drop in attendance and interest for Gopher Football - but what I see on this board is that people want the Gopher Fans to be more like the Vikings fans when it comes to tailgating and general enthusiasm.

Love 'em or hate 'em, the Vikes fans have embraced the tailgating culture (there's that word again) and are generally louder and rowdier than the Gopher Fans. Of course, some of the rowdiness is because the average blood alcohol level of a typical Vikes fan is probably 3 times higher than the BAC of a typical Gopher fan.

But, just saying - the Gopher fans could learn something about tailgating from the Vikings fans. Of course, nothing will top the old Met Stadium days. Some of the spreads that people used to put out at the Met looked like a professional buffet line at a wedding reception.

I've always felt like there are very few tailgaters for Vikings games. Maybe it just seems that way because they're so spread out? There are always a good amount of people at bars/restaurants but not many actively tailgating outside. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's been my experience.

Number 1 and its a number 1 by a landslide.....The U needs to do something in the lots to get people in cold October and November Saturdays. I've been saying a nice bonfire area @ each lot would be an absolute slam dunk. No individual fires but a U of M sponsored one. Why can I go to the beer growler in St. Paul (Mears Park and at the Farmers Market) and be able to huddle around open fires in an urban setting but can't at the U? Have the forestry department manage the fires etc. I'm over in Lot 86 and there are hundreds of areas that would be PERFECT for this sort of thing. I'm telling you if people knew there would be warmth in the lots they would come and come early.

A unique idea and would certainly be a unique experience compared to any tailgating across the country. If this isn't the answer, something along these lines would make for a cool experience. A big part of the challenge are the 11am games.

When you tailgate in the south you are accustomed to big trailer size smokers, charcoal grills and other large cooking materials. I think the U could charge a premium for some premium spaces around campus that could accommodate some large group tailgating.

While we're on tailgating, I went to Illinois last year and maybe it was because it was their homecoming, but the tailgating scene before the game was like none I had ever seen. Though Champaign is a college town in the middle of nowhere, so there's not much else to do there, but if we could get anything close to that I would be happy.

While we're on tailgating, I went to Illinois last year and maybe it was because it was their homecoming, but the tailgating scene before the game was like none I had ever seen. Though Champaign is a college town in the middle of nowhere, so there's not much else to do there, but if we could get anything close to that I would be happy.

+100.
Went to Champaign last year as well, expecting nothing, and was blown away. Turned out to be one of my favorite road trips.

When you tailgate in the south you are accustomed to big trailer size smokers, charcoal grills and other large cooking materials. I think the U could charge a premium for some premium spaces around campus that could accommodate some large group tailgating.

Serious question, have you walked though the lots? That's going on already.

It is because that's the big show in town. I think the U has done its part. Fans need to step up their tailgating game.

+100.
Went to Champaign last year as well, expecting nothing, and was blown away. Turned out to be one of my favorite road trips.

Window paint on every business, if I saw even 1 business with window paint on campus I would be blown away.

Serious question, have you walked though the lots? That's going on already.

I guess I have never seen trailers carrying huge smokers and grills in any lot at a Minnesota tailgate. You know the kind of smoker that can hold several briskets, many racks of ribs, sausage etc....It should look more like a BBQ cook off than anything I have seen on our campus. Just a geographical difference I guess.

I guess I have never seen trailers carrying huge smokers and grills in any lot at a Minnesota tailgate. You know the kind of smoker that can hold several briskets, many racks of ribs, sausage etc....It should look more like a BBQ cook off than anything I have seen on our campus. Just a geographical difference I guess.

That's pretty over the top. There's several who have large grills and full bars. Been to one several times in the lot just West of the light rail with a nice grill set up. They have a sweet M&G camper trailer modified so all four sides flip down. The guy owns a large insurance agency...

You'll never see smokers up here just because not nearly as many people do that here compared to the south, however I have been through the tailgate lots plenty of times, and there are many multiple-grill setups with so many different types of food cooking. There's also the Gopher Fanbulance.

Unfortunately I was never able to taste the food since I was in the band and no one offered it to us (we're obviously not allowed ask for food when we're entertaining), maybe this year since I will be just a regular fan!!

Top Bottom