GopherSports: Football Fans Shape New Game Day Experiences; New Food Vendors

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

In May 2016, newly hired Athletics Director Mark Coyle promised that Gopher Athletics would do more to invest in its fans. During the 15 months since making that promise, the athletics department has collected more feedback from fans, particularly its season ticket holders, than ever before. From surveys, to events, to social media, and a new Fan Advisory Board, Gopher fans have never had more platforms to share their thoughts.

Fans said that they wanted more value for season tickets, more entertainment options, and more choices when it came to the in-stadium menu. Gopher Athletics listened to this feedback and has planned a series of improvements to the football game day experience for Gopher fans.

Changes to Gopher game day start hours prior to kickoff, just as fans are piling into Dinkytown.

The new Ski-U-March is taking the place of the Victory Walk. The best elements of the Victory Walk aren’t changing. Head Coach P.J. Fleck and the team will still greet fans and enter the stadium along with the spirit squad and the band prior to the game. Ski-U-March will be held at the same time as the Victory Walk, 2.5 hours prior to kickoff, but the route will now bring the team into TCF Bank Stadium through the Lake of the Woods entrance on the east (closed bowl) end of the stadium, off 23rd Ave. SE near the Gold and Gopher Lots and the student entrance at Gate C.

Over on Oak Street, the front plaza and lawn of 3M Arena at Mariucci will be hosting a pre-game celebration before every game, the Gopher Garden Pre-Game Fan Fest. The venue will open three hours prior to kickoff and feature entertainment for all ages. Food trucks will line up outside the front doors, with beverages available for sale inside the arena lobby (some purchases will require valid proof of 21-plus age), and a family-friendly street festival atmosphere will sprawl across the lawn and into Oak Street, which will remain closed off to vehicle traffic before Gopher football games. The Gopher Garden will also host the Gopher Tailgate Radio Show, presented by Cub Foods and Mills Fleet Farm, which is broadcast live on KFAN and the Gopher Radio Network and streamed worldwide via the iHeartMedia app. Live guests each week include iHeartMedia personalities, former Gopher greats and athletics leadership.

Once inside the TCF Bank Stadium gates, Gopher fans will continue to notice changes they recommended.

The West Plaza will become the centerpiece of new food and beverage options, as well as an improved common space for all fans.

After hosting temporary seating for two seasons, the West Plaza once again opened up last year and regained its old identity as the largest and most popular gathering place inside TCF Bank Stadium. New food choices from four Minnesota-based partners and additional gathering spaces will only further cement its place within the Gopher game day experience.

Four new food vendors will operate out of storefront shells in the West Plaza: Ike’s Restaurant, Pimento Jamaican Kitchen, Curds & Cakes, and Jax Café. These new vendors will add dozens of new food items to the existing TCF Bank Stadium menu. The West Plaza will also be serving a greater variety of soft drinks, beer and wine than ever before. Additional high-top tables and a drink rail overlooking the field will provide fans with new ways to enjoy the game from the plaza.

A newly formed regiment of ushers, named Gold Coats, will be stationed along vertical aisles in the facility. Gold Coats are part-time athletics department staff with consistent assignments, meaning fans will mostly see the same friendly face near their seats at each game. This consistency will help ensure each usher’s familiarity with stadium services and how to locate them from those particular seats, as well as answering general questions fans may have. The Gold Coats are a very visible piece of a new overarching customer service initiative designed to provide fans with improved access to information and guest services through Gopher game day venues, the GOLD Standard.

Fans are also encouraged to text GOLD to 78247 at any time during the game to ask questions or report issues. The fan text line has been an effective tool for addressing fans concerns from anywhere in the stadium, and there will be continued investment in providing outstanding service to those who text GOLD.

Fans entering the stadium will once again be asked to comply with TCF Bank Stadium’s clear bag policy (click here to view policy). Enforcement of this policy, implemented during the final weeks of the 2015 season, was a point of frustration last year. The process became much smoother as the season progressed but, in an effort to make it as easy as possible to enter the stadium with their personal items, Gopher Athletics provided every season ticket holder with a plastic tote bag meeting all clear bag policy guidelines earlier this summer. If fans have concerns about bags they would like to bring to the stadium, they should email their questions to [email protected]. Fans are always encouraged to arrive early for the quickest entrance into TCF Bank Stadium.

Fans helped transform parts of the game day experience with their feedback. They also physically transformed a large swath of tunnel wall between the Gophers’ locker room and their entrance to the field. Fleck called on Gopher fans to bring oars that helped share their story to Minnesota’s spring game, a call answered with more than 175 oars. These oars have been mounted as part of a display inside TCF Bank Stadium, one that promises to grow in the years to come when Gopher Athletics invites fans to bring oars to future events. The athletics department will not be collecting oars at regular season games this season, unless otherwise noted.

Even before making their first trip to campus for the 2017 football season, season ticket holders saw added value for their purchase through the Gopher Loyalty Program. Like most other athletics department in the country, Gopher Athletics previously offered a one-size-fits-all benefits program that was only available to donors. The Gopher Loyalty Program is a new initiative that provides both fans and donors customized experiences that they build themselves by selecting benefits that are most important to them. This is an innovative approach to investing in fans - it's the first of its kind among NCAA institutions. Benefit selection began in early August, with more than 13,000 Gopher fans building their own benefits packages.

http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/081717aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Sounds Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Jax Cafe has been in the West Plaza for awhile now. I've always gotten a bacon wrapped hotdog prior to kickoff every home game. They also have awesome loaded tots as well.

So:

1. Renaming the Victory Walk and moving it to the other side of the stadium. (So?)
  2. Adding new food options in the stadium. (Good.)
  3. Adding a place to eat and drink closer to the stadium, at Mariucci. (Good.)

Do I have that right?

Forcing people to go inside to get drinks hasn't worked well at the alumni center. I can't see it working much better at Mariucci. But at least it offers another place to go closer to the stadium. I'd rather use the grassy area at the alumni center, where it looks more dead. But I'll take it.

New food, gold coats thing both sound like promising additions.

So:

1. Renaming the Victory Walk and moving it to the other side of the stadium. (So?)

Do I have that right?

Forcing people to go inside to get drinks hasn't worked well at the alumni center. I can't see it working much better at Mariucci. But at least it offers another place to go closer to the stadium. I'd rather use the grassy area at the alumni center, where it looks more dead. But I'll take it.

You forgot the pregame FanFest outside Mariucci (EDIT: Or is this not new?)

still no emphasis on tailgating. Shame.

So:

Do I have that right?

Yep. They get new food options every year. There already are events and food options on Oak street between Mariucci and TCF. There are already ushers/fan support people in the stadium...guess instead of polos they will have snappy GOLD coats. I agree they need to use that grassy area by the alumni center...perfect place for the marching band to do its pregame preview.

Yep. They get new food options every year. There already are events and food options on Oak street between Mariucci and TCF. There are already ushers/fan support people in the stadium...guess instead of polos they will have snappy GOLD coats. I agree they need to use that grassy area by the alumni center...perfect place for the marching band to do its pregame preview.

I filled out many surveys and asked for snappy Gold coats in each.

Hopefully the new Gold Coats aren't closet Iowa fans trying to assault kids rushing the field like in previous years.

key words in the pre-game event - "all ages" and "family-friendly."

I'm sorry, but that just does not conjure up the image of a raucous, gonzo type of crowd that people have been hoping for. If you want the fans to get at least a little bit rowdy, you have to have an environment that is at least a little bit rowdy. Not all-ages and family-friendly. If I was a college-age student looking for a good time, all-ages and family-friendly are code words for no real fun.

A couple things of note. The GOLD Coats are actually hired by the U instead of those positions hired by the security firm. They are Gopher fans who apply thru the U. They are going to be assigned to certain sections and will be there all year. So like basketball where you know your attendant for you section all year.

I like the addition of alcohol being served at Mariucci. Gives more of a reason for people to gather by the stadium and use that space.

I don't understand those complaining about making tailgating better. What do you expect to make tailgating better? The way to make tailgating better is for the actual tailgaters to up their game. All tailgate lots are sold out. What more can the U do other than roll out kegs in each lot?

I don't understand those complaining about making tailgating better. What do you expect to make tailgating better? The way to make tailgating better is for the actual tailgaters to up their game. All tailgate lots are sold out. What more can the U do other than roll out kegs in each lot?

Other B1G schools I have been to make more tailgating spots available near the stadium and let you park in them for a reasonable fare.

Other B1G schools I have been to make more tailgating spots available near the stadium and let you park in them for a reasonable fare.

Huh? What parking close to the stadium isn't available for tailgating? And a reasonable fare? Obviously it is a reasonable fare since they are all sold out. Not sure it is a good idea to lower prices on something of high demand to only make less money.

Huh? What parking close to the stadium isn't available for tailgating? And a reasonable fare? Obviously it is a reasonable fare since they are all sold out. Not sure it is a good idea to lower prices on something of high demand to only make less money.

Well, I have tailgated at NE, IA, MI, PSU, and IL and what is available at the U doesn't compare with any of them. Not in quantity, quality, or cost. Even the tailgate scene in Madison is better than here.

Well, I have tailgated at NE, IA, MI, PSU, and IL and what is available at the U doesn't compare with any of them. Not in quantity, quality, or cost. Even the tailgate scene in Madison is better than here.

Very True! The tailgating at Minnesota is laughable compared to most of the power five schools. That being said, it's not like there is an abundance of open are around the stadium for tailgating other than the parking lots.

- NE parking location is based on your donor level, so not sure what the cost is. But TCF has more parking closer to the stadium.
- Iowa donation level is way more expensive than the U, and the U has more parking close to the stadium.
- Wisconsin is about double the cost of Gopher tailgating, and TCF has more parking close to the stadium.

So actually, the U of M has cheaper parking and parking closer to the stadium. What the U lacks is quality. But what more can the U do to increase that quality other than provide kegs to each tailgate? For me, that falls more on the fans. If everyone showed up the first few hours, and tailgated all day, it would be a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, most don't show up until about an hour prior to the game. That is what kills the quality in my opinion.

Honest question, what could the U do to make the quality and overall tailgate experience better?

Honest question, what could the U do to make the quality and overall tailgate experience better?

I already gave you my answer based on my experiences at 9 different B1G stadiums I have visited. You just don't agree with my answer - which is fine. Moving on.

Closer spots to the stadium and a more reasonable fare? I just showed that TCF actually has more spots available near the stadium than our closest competitors. How are they to get more spaces? And the U of M has cheaper parking options than our competitors. Not only that, but all those lots are completely sold out. So you would them to lower prices for something already sold out? That is a terrible business model.

- NE parking location is based on your donor level, so not sure what the cost is. But TCF has more parking closer to the stadium.
- Iowa donation level is way more expensive than the U, and the U has more parking close to the stadium.
- Wisconsin is about double the cost of Gopher tailgating, and TCF has more parking close to the stadium.

So actually, the U of M has cheaper parking and parking closer to the stadium. What the U lacks is quality. But what more can the U do to increase that quality other than provide kegs to each tailgate? For me, that falls more on the fans. If everyone showed up the first few hours, and tailgated all day, it would be a great atmosphere. Unfortunately, most don't show up until about an hour prior to the game. That is what kills the quality in my opinion.

I agree. The tailgate spots are very good location wise. I've said it before...get there a couple hours before, walk through the lots by the light rail station east of TCF with a six-pack and you'll get invited to join in by multiple tailgaters.

Over on Oak Street, the front plaza and lawn of 3M Arena at Mariucci will be hosting a pre-game celebration before every game, the Gopher Garden Pre-Game Fan Fest. The venue will open three hours prior to kickoff and feature entertainment for all ages. Food trucks will line up outside the front doors, with beverages available for sale inside the arena lobby (some purchases will require valid proof of 21-plus age), and a family-friendly street festival atmosphere will sprawl across the lawn and into Oak Street, which will remain closed off to vehicle traffic before Gopher football games. The Gopher Garden will also host the Gopher Tailgate Radio Show, presented by Cub Foods and Mills Fleet Farm, which is broadcast live on KFAN and the Gopher Radio Network and streamed worldwide via the iHeartMedia app. Live guests each week include iHeartMedia personalities, former Gopher greats and athletics leadership.

This has been suggested for years as a way to connect a larger area to the stadium for a better atmosphere. I think it's a really hopeful sign that they really care about fan game experience to do something this significant.

Don't get too attached to all the tailgating lots near the stadium, the University's master plan (last I looked) had nearly all of them slated for eventual development into facilities. Land is at a premium at the U and it can't be wasted (long-term) on surface parking.

Number 1 and its a number 1 by a landslide.....The U needs to do something in the lots to get people in cold October and November Saturdays. I've been saying a nice bonfire area @ each lot would be an absolute slam dunk. No individual fires but a U of M sponsored one. Why can I go to the beer growler in St. Paul (Mears Park and at the Farmers Market) and be able to huddle around open fires in an urban setting but can't at the U? Have the forestry department manage the fires etc. I'm over in Lot 86 and there are hundreds of areas that would be PERFECT for this sort of thing. I'm telling you if people knew there would be warmth in the lots they would come and come early.

Here's my answer...

Ever been to Ohio State? The skull session there is awesome! The U could open up the green areas and close off side streets for merchandise tents, picnicing and tailgating. There's plenty of room if they would allow it. They could create an atmosphere like "Grand ol Days". Somehow that major street gets closed. The U and the City of Minneapolis are colluding to ruin gameday atmosphere for political correctness....

Closer spots to the stadium and a more reasonable fare? <b>I just showed that TCF actually has more spots available near the stadium than our closest competitors. </b>How are they to get more spaces? <b>And the U of M has cheaper parking options than our competitors. </b>Not only that, but all those lots are completely sold out. So you would them to lower prices for something already sold out? That is a terrible business model.

Actually, you didn't just show these to be true - you simply stated them as if they were. I disagree based on personal experience. That simple. I have tailgated at other stadiums and don't agree with you that we have a better set up. You thinking we do doesn't make me any more likely to believe it.

This has been suggested for years as a way to connect a larger area to the stadium for a better atmosphere. I think it's a really hopeful sign that they really care about fan game experience to do something this significant.

OK, you are being sarcastic, right? It says it will remain closed...as in no change from past years. It's been closed off before games since TCF opened. First couple years some people actually complained that doing so eliminated close street parking. Marching band does their pregame halftime preview there. There are food trucks and games for kids. It's where they set up the player autographs booth.

OK, you are being sarcastic, right? It says it will remain closed...as in no change from past years. It's been closed off before games since TCF opened. First couple years some people actually complained that doing so eliminated close street parking. Marching band does their pregame halftime preview there. There are food trucks and games for kids. It's where they set up the player autographs booth.

Guess I need to hang out closer to the stadium. Hard to see what's happening from the East River Flats. I thought they were talking about closing off a new area.

Top Bottom