Doogie: There are several thousand tickets available for season opener

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Doogie on his latest Scoops Podcast:

I am told there are several thousand tickets available for the opener. They are practically giving away tickets, they are available very, very cheap. They are struggling in PJ Fleck's first game to fill TCF Bank Stadium.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

per Doogie on his latest Scoops Podcast:

I am told there are several thousand tickets available for the opener. They are practically giving away tickets, they are available very, very cheap. They are struggling in PJ Fleck's first game to fill TCF Bank Stadium.

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

$20 on Stub Hub for the cheapest. $24 lower corners. $50 for lower sideline.

I heard on the radio they have a 4 pack for $60.

That's a good deal no matter where you sit in the stadium.

Bleed serious question because I'm too lazy to actually listen to this podcast. Did he actually use the phrase "I am told" with this?

It's Buffalo, it's 6pm on a Thursday night. We haven't had that many people show up for opening Thursday night games, with the exception of TCU - 44k against Eastern Illinois in 2014, 44k against UNLV in 2013. Even Oregon State was only 44.5k. I imagine we'll end up in a simliar spot this year - it's a tough sell when we're not opening up against the #2 team in the country, coming off a Citrus Bowl appearance.

I am disappointed that sales haven't been better, especially with the new staff, but it's hardly that surprising, at least to me.

All will be well if we start the season 5-0 with MSU coming to town.

-HS football openers
-Vikings preseason game
-NSIC football openers

Why is this a surprise?

NSIC? Really.....

Yes really. Knock the competition level all you want, but it's still thousands of fans that could otherwise go to a Gophers game. There are five NSIC schools in the state that have home openers on Thursday night. The five schools combined to total 12,000 attendance per game last year. I'm not saying they all would go to the Gophers games if not for the NSIC openers, but it does affect attendance. Even if it's a potential 1,000 fans lost, it does make a difference.

I heard on the radio they have a 4 pack for $60.

That's a good deal no matter where you sit in the stadium.

Yep, almost Metrodome like.

Looks like the NE and WI fans didn't make the Buffalo game part of their 3-Pack. Or even worse, they're gonna wait and just buy tickets for their game(s).

Pomo code is: iHeart

Yes really. Knock the competition level all you want, but it's still thousands of fans that could otherwise go to a Gophers game. There are five NSIC schools in the state that have home openers on Thursday night. The five schools combined to total 12,000 attendance per game last year. I'm not saying they all would go to the Gophers games if not for the NSIC openers, but it does affect attendance. Even if it's a potential 1,000 fans lost, it does make a difference.

I would say the number is closer to 125 fans lost than 1,000 because of the NSIC schools.

I would say the number is closer to 125 fans lost than 1,000 because of the NSIC schools.

Yeah, because everyone would much rather drive 100-150 miles each way to pay twice as much money for tickets plus parking over staying in town for less money.

The point was that when there's other football being played right in town, why would they travel to the Gophers game?

We aren't talking about diehard Gophers fans here, because they already have their tickets and are going to the game. It's about those who might consider going. Other cheaper, closer options are a deterrent.

Its 2 weeks away I would expect many tix will be purchased in few days leading up to the game

I'm not a season ticket holder, but at 4 for $60, I'll sit in the cheap seats for a night game.

Yeah, because everyone would much rather drive 100-150 miles each way to pay twice as much money for tickets plus parking over staying in town for less money.

I'm not saying that or ripping NSIC schools. I just think the bigger issue is game is being played on a Thursday night and alot of people work Friday etc. I don't think NSIC games are keeping 1K people out of TCF.

If we have another successful year (or better!) like in 2014 and the community likes Fleck like they did Kill at that time and the AD doesn't jack ticket prices (maybe even a little roll back for less desirable seats?), we will draw well like we did in 2015.

Yep, almost Metrodome like.

Looks like the NE and WI fans didn't make the Buffalo game part of their 3-Pack. Or even worse, they're gonna wait and just buy tickets for their game(s).

Pomo code is: iHeart

NE and WI fans have learned there is no rush to buy TCF tickets.

Would anyone pay $20 to watch Eden Prairie play St Paul Humboldt?
I can't blame anyone for not paying more than $15 to watch the Gophers play Buffalo. If MN doesn't win by 40+ I will be shocked.

Thursday night against a Mac team, during State fair. Never will draw well. Bring in LSU or something, then we'll draw.

Thursday night against a Mac team, during State fair. Never will draw well. Bring in LSU or something, then we'll draw.

This. I know PJ didn't pick the schedule and the opener is designed to be somewhat of a preseason game and bowl booster but it would be great to start seeing some Power 5 schools in that slot.

This. I know PJ didn't pick the schedule and the opener is designed to be somewhat of a preseason game and bowl booster but it would be great to start seeing some Power 5 schools in that slot.

We've played this Thursday night home opener during the state fair four times, and half have been P5 teams

I can't blame anyone for not paying more than $15 to watch the Gophers play Buffalo. If MN doesn't win by 40+ I will be shocked.

And you've already bought your Season tickets anyway right?

You're just the consumate fan. Now I know how the Grand Canyon got started. You dropped a penny in a gopherhole.

No matter how good a coach Fleck is - or becomes.......no matter how charismatic he is.........We are still talking about Gopher Football here.

The hard-core fan base for Gopher Football - at this point in time - cannot fill a 50,000 seat stadium. That is the cold, hard truth.

To get a sellout, the Gophers need one of these other factors: a marquee, big-name opponent........a big rivalry game where opposing fans will buy up any available tickets.......or really cheap ticket prices.

Now - at some point in the future - if Fleck is as successful as some people believe - then maybe the Gophers can sell out TCF on a regular basis. Maybe they can even generate enough ticket demand to think about expanding the stadium. But that is going to be a long process. Years long. Expecting fans to instantly flock to the team just because of the "Fleck Factor" is just expecting too much, too soon.

The Twin Cities sports market has been hearing and reading "The Gophers Suck" for almost 50 years. that is a lot of conditioning to overcome.

If the optics of a less-than-full stadium bother you, then maybe several thousand fans should bring cardboard cutouts with them, and prop them up in the empty seats.

Top Bottom