Doogie: There are several thousand tickets available for season opener

Reminds me of when christian laettner was traded. He came back to target center days latter as a member of the hawks. When his name was announced 90%+ of the fans booed. There was a kid - maybe 15 years old - sitting a few rows in front of us that looked around the stadium with the most shocked look I have ever seen. His eyes tearing up he yelled, "I Love you Laettner."

He loved CL so much that he simply could not comprehend that there were people that didn't like him. Not possible in his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That little boy was you. Be honest.

Playing on Thursday night is and will always be a joke. I don't care if Alabama comes, we will not sell this game time and day. Should be Saturday.

Playing on Thursday night is and will always be a joke. I don't care if Alabama comes, we will not sell this game time and day. Should be Saturday.

I mean, that's a complete exaggeration. We sold more than 54,000 tickets to TCU on a Thursday night opener just two years ago.

MA3rMjc.gif

I would not have agreed with that, but agree with you there are people who would have done so. Similarly, there are people who PJ just doesn't resonate with, and they struggle to support him.

Let me understand. So you are either a season ticket holder or hold tickets to the game and your only reason for not possibly going is that you find it hard to support PJF? What about supporting the team regardless of who the coach is? You must be a chartered member of the Patrick Reusse fan club.

As for the 3 million people in the Metro area, a third of them are vagabond transplants from Iowa, Wisconsin, ND who spew their crap about their own teams living and working here in the great state of Minnesota. They will never go to a Gopher game unless their team is playing at TCF. Vikings, State Fair, HS Football all happening on the same evening, along with a no name opponent = 40K attendance can be expected.

Let me understand. So you are either a season ticket holder or hold tickets to the game and your only reason for not possibly going is that you find it hard to support PJF? What about supporting the team regardless of who the coach is? You must be a chartered member of the Patrick Reusse fan club.

As for the 3 million people in the Metro area, a third of them are vagabond transplants from Iowa, Wisconsin, ND who spew their crap about their own teams living and working here in the great state of Minnesota. They will never go to a Gopher game unless their team is playing at TCF. Vikings, State Fair, HS Football all happening on the same evening, along with a no name opponent = 40K attendance can be expected.

The ironic thing is some say Fleck is acting like he is bigger than the program or that it is all about him. But then they say they won't go to the games because of him. By doing that, aren't you essentially making him bigger than the program?

Everyone can go or not go for any reason they like. Yes I do like Fleck but even if I didn't, it wouldn't affect me going to games or not. The program is way important to me as a whole than any coach or player. Just my opinion though.

Fleck might not be your cup of tea, but if he is the sole reason you don't buy tickets to a game you have major problems.

My response was to the guy who said he would not have gone to the games this year if Claeys was the coach. I would not have agreed with that, but I understand because I find it very hard to support Fleck. I have had season tickets for 20+ years, and I am just not as excited as I have been in the past. Not as big of a priority to get to the game.

I don't get why some totally understand why people wouldn't support previous coaches, but can't imagine struggling with Fleck. I don't like Fleck, yet will never cheer against Gophers like some were doing last year, hoping we would lose to WSU so we could get new coach. Yet, like many Wiscy fans I know who struggled with Bielema despite the winning, I think Fleck is hard to support.

I mean, that's a complete exaggeration. We sold more than 54,000 tickets to TCU on a Thursday night opener just two years ago.

OK, I retract, maybe Alabama brings a few people out. TCU came in at #2 and we had one of our most potentially good teams in a long time.

The whole Thursday thing was born on the premise that we could co-promote with the State fair and get better exposure on TV. The State fair laughed at us and I think people know who we are at this point.

Go to the game and cheer for the Gophers and have fun. Who gives a flying F how many people show up for a game vs Buffalo.

That little boy was you. Be honest.

Of all the things I hate, and there are a lot, CL is right at the top of the list. I did yell some things at him that night, but "I love you" was certainly not one of them.

I'm excited to see the Gophers play. Fleck adds to my excitement, to some degree. Something different at least.

Would be nice to see them dominate Buffalo, a bad team, after failing to dominate some weaker teams last year.

Part of the reason to go is to see Fleck and see if he starts any new habits / experiences.

Listened to him this morning for one minute! He reiterated that the gophers were giving away almost free tickets and then he chose the topic for listeners to call in about - why don't you care about gopher football? - what a jerk - How about another - Will the Vikings have another 500 boring season?

Listened to him this morning for one minute! He reiterated that the gophers were giving away almost free tickets and then he chose the topic for listeners to call in about - why don't you care about gopher football? - what a jerk - How about another - Will the Vikings have another 500 boring season?

I assume you are talking about PA? Or about Doogie?

I thought it was kind of pathetic that Doogie was asking some a dumb question at this point.

Let's see.... PJ has coached how many games?

If filling the stands was as easy as hiring a new coach and never having to coach a game to get the place packed, everyone who doesn't have sell-outs could just fire their coach each year to guarantee sellouts with the new coach the following year.

In the world of instant gratification, Doogie and Judd need a sellout against Buffalo to really "feel the excitement" I guess.

There is a reason why Reusse's nickname for Zulgad is "Panic." Zulgad's default position on every team in the market is that they are either terrible, or going to be terrible. And - that the fans don't care. I think he's announced that the Twins' season is "over" about 6 or 7 times this year. Then the Twins win a few games, and Zulgad switches to talking about the attendance at games.

There is a reason why Reusse's nickname for Zulgad is "Panic." Zulgad's default position on every team in the market is that they are either terrible, or going to be terrible. And - that the fans don't care. I think he's announced that the Twins' season is "over" about 6 or 7 times this year. Then the Twins win a few games, and Zulgad switches to talking about the attendance at games.

The first caller they took of course used the name "Brewster" in discussing PJ Fleck.

Good job encouraging the lazy comparisons.

The first caller they took of course used the name "Brewster" in discussing PJ Fleck.

Good job encouraging the lazy comparisons.

Doogie, God love him, throws a lot of stuff against the wall. It's his job. Zulgad is all hyperbole all the time. Heck, when he starts to be reasonable he catches himself and goes all in on the "things are awful" bits.

And in this town, there is no downside taking cheap shots at the Gophers. Even plenty of Gopher "fans" do it all the time themselves.

KSTP lost the right to broadcast any U of M sports. KSTP-AM is a sports talk station without the rights to broadcast any of the major sports teams in town.

Who knows what the future holds for that radio station.

You're right though. Would be nice to listen to a show without any of the snark in it.

OK, I retract, maybe Alabama brings a few people out. TCU came in at #2 and we had one of our most potentially good teams in a long time.

The whole Thursday thing was born on the premise that we could co-promote with the State fair and get better exposure on TV. The State fair laughed at us and I think people know who we are at this point.

Please explain more about this. I haven't heard of any of that. We've had a lot of people on this board over the years say the U should try to work with the fair to get people to this game, but I hadn't heard that they made an effort.

Glad you're monitoring me. I have been trying to give my tickets away to people, as I really am not excited to go like I have been in past years. No takers. Will either donate or go. If I go I'll wear my Gopher gear, without any oars.

Yeah, I'm not buying that you asked anyone to take your tickets. Or if you did, that you half heartedly asked one person you knew would say no, just so you could claim that you've been desperately trying to give away your tickets and no one is interested.

Why don't you take a couple of these GHers up on their offer to take the tickets off your hands? Problem solved.

Please explain more about this. I haven't heard of any of that. We've had a lot of people on this board over the years say the U should try to work with the fair to get people to this game, but I hadn't heard that they made an effort.

Oh they made a big effort to do that. However the Fair Board, as they are want to do, told them to stuff it.

The state works for the Fair Board. Not the other-way-around.

Yeah, I'm not buying that you asked anyone to take your tickets. Or if you did, that you half heartedly asked one person you knew would say no, just so you could claim that you've been desperately trying to give away your tickets and no one is interested.

Why don't you take a couple of these GHers up on their offer to take the tickets off your hands? Problem solved.

Because the guy is a fraud that came over from Badger Blitz, or Buckyville.

Found this in a Shama column - it matches with what I remember about the move to Thursday night games:

The Gophers and State Fair authorities made an agreement before TCF Bank Stadium opened, which resulted in all these Thursday night games. The agreement runs through June 30, 2022, and it states that any Gophers home game prior to Labor Day will be played on a Thursday evening. A U spokesman said he isn’t aware of any discussion to change the agreement.

The reason for the agreement is that during the State Fair drivers can park their cars for free on the University’s Minneapolis campus and ride free buses to the fairgrounds in nearby Falcon Heights. The Gophers usually play their home schedule on Saturdays but because of larger fair-going crowds on the weekends, U officials agreed to switch their games to Thursday evenings to better accommodate fair customers.

The existing agreement inconveniences fewer fair-goers but it’s not a winning policy for the Gophers. Fans have to fight rush-hour traffic to attend Thursday night games.

So, it appears that the Gophers agreed to play games on a Thursday night to accommodate the State Fair. I guess we know who wears the pants in that relationship.

Found this in a Shama column - it matches with what I remember about the move to Thursday night games:

The Gophers and State Fair authorities made an agreement before TCF Bank Stadium opened, which resulted in all these Thursday night games. The agreement runs through June 30, 2022, and it states that any Gophers home game prior to Labor Day will be played on a Thursday evening. A U spokesman said he isn’t aware of any discussion to change the agreement.

The reason for the agreement is that during the State Fair drivers can park their cars for free on the University’s Minneapolis campus and ride free buses to the fairgrounds in nearby Falcon Heights. The Gophers usually play their home schedule on Saturdays but because of larger fair-going crowds on the weekends, U officials agreed to switch their games to Thursday evenings to better accommodate fair customers.

The existing agreement inconveniences fewer fair-goers but it’s not a winning policy for the Gophers. Fans have to fight rush-hour traffic to attend Thursday night games.

So, it appears that the Gophers agreed to play games on a Thursday night to accommodate the State Fair. I guess we know who wears the pants in that relationship.

I have had it. I am protesting against the State Fair.

Top Bottom