First year Gopher Hoops is better on paper than Wisconsin since????

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
Discussion at work today....This upcoming season is the first year in how long that the Gophers hoops team is undoubtedly better on paper and predicted by all media outlets (that I've seen to finish) higher in the B10 than Wisconsin since what year? Has it been 10 years at this point?

Discussion at work today....This upcoming season is the first year in how long that the Gophers hoops team is undoubtedly better on paper and predicted by all media outlets (that I've seen to finish) higher in the B10 than Wisconsin since what year? Has it been 10 years at this point?

I don't even want to look it up to confirm because it will make me ill, but I believe wisconsin has finished ahead of us in the standings every year since 1998. If someone had told me after our Final Four that we wouldn't finish ahead of them once in the next 20 years, no way would I have believed that.

Go Gophers!!

I'd bet the over on that

I would too though without any actual research, I feel like there may have been one season where we may have snuck in ranked a little higher in one of the Tubby years. There was a year or two where I swear we were ranked in the top 10-15.

I think in 03 or one of the Monson years when we had Rickert, Bauer etc. We fell flat on our face

We were ranked pretty high going into the season when Royce and Rodney were incoming freshman. I don't remember how Wisconsin was projected though. Also when Trevor decided to return we were projected top 25 although I think so was Wisconsin.

We had a little bit of hype early in Tubby's last year. I think there were a few weeks where we were ranked and Wisconsin wasn't.

In 2008-09, we finished one spot behind Wisconsin in the Big Ten but beat them twice, got a better NCAA tournament seed, and had a better overall record.

It's been awhile. I would agree on paper we are better, but Wisconsin finds a way. I have hard time seeing them replacing 4 starters, and when Koening struggled, they really struggled, but I can't bet against them

I do expect MN to finish ahead of Wisconsin, but that's more optimism on MN than pessimism with WI, I think Wi will be right there, milking each second of shot clock and hooking opponents

It's been awhile. I would agree on paper we are better, but Wisconsin finds a way. I have hard time seeing them replacing 4 starters, and when Koening struggled, they really struggled, but I can't bet against them

I do expect MN to finish ahead of Wisconsin, but that's more optimism on MN than pessimism with WI, I think Wi will be right there, milking each second of shot clock and hooking opponents

If Greg Gard finishes ahead of this year's Gophers team (minus the unforeseen injury/suspension(s)) with that lackluster (incredibly young) roster, I will eat a pound of rotting badger flesh.

Often find a way with shooters. The next guy we Minnesota fans have hardly ever heard of but will now is the Badgers Brevin Pritzl. Badgers are playing in their international every fourth year tour in New Zeland. Pritzl in his first of five games scored 28 going 7-9 fron 3. No fluke, in high school he scored 1700 plus points at De Pere, Wi. He did have a breakout year last year against Maryland as a freshman scoring 23.

It's a really down B1G this year, but I'm confident the Badgers don't continue their top 4 streak

Often find a way with shooters. The next guy we Minnesota fans have hardly ever heard of but will now is the Badgers Brevin Pritzl. Badgers are playing in their international every fourth year tour in New Zeland. Pritzl in his first of five games scored 28 going 7-9 fron 3. No fluke, in high school he scored 1700 plus points at De Pere, Wi. He did have a breakout year last year against Maryland as a freshman scoring 23.

I'm aware of Pritzl

But yes, they find shooters. But he's no koening

Since last year, in my opinion (and also, by the end of the year, the "opinion" of RPI).

I'm aware of Pritzl

But yes, they find shooters. But he's no koening

You may be right but Pritzl is pretty young for anyone to be sure how his college career will turn out.

Pritzl will be a fine player. I just don't see guys like Ilk, Thomas and Trice stepping up to the level needed. I really like their freshman class but they will have to grow up quicker than any freshman class since Bo Ryan was hired. I view this as a retooling year in Madison, but they'll be back sooner than later

I know this isn't exactly on-topic, but since we're talking about Wisconsin... To me, the biggest wildcard isn't all of the inexperience around Happ. It's Greg Gard. In the year and a half that he's been head coach, they've had a ton of veteran experience. Sure, Bo Ryan's last half year of coaching wasn't going the greatest, but you could tell he just wasn't into it, and combined with his personal matters going on, was enough for him to call it quits. Peak Bo Ryan could take the starting lineup of Quinnipiac and make it into a Big Ten contender. I hate saying things like that as a Gopher fan, joking or not, but that guy coached his butt off. If Bo Ryan was going to be on the sidelines this year, I'd say mark it down as a top Big Ten team. Can Greg Gard do the same? I know he was on the staff as an assistant before getting the head coaching gig, but an assistant and head coach are vastly different. I'm having my doubts, and that's why I think this is the first time in awhile that Wisconsin slides down the standings in the Big Ten. Remember, before the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments last year, that Wisconsin team was underachieving, when looking at preseason expectations.

You may be right but Pritzl is pretty young for anyone to be sure how his college career will turn out.

I predict nothing, Pritzl could end up better, I doubt he'll be better this upcoming season than koening was last year. Badgers really struggled without Koening

I'm also positive that badgers will be in the mix and find a way

In 2009-2010 Minnesota entered the year ranked #25. Wisconsin entered 2009-2010 unranked.
In 2002-2003 Minnesota entered the year ranked #24. Wisconsin entered 2002-2003 unranked.

There's been numerous times where both have started out unranked, but in every one of those seasons Wisconsin turned out to be better. Of note, I only went back to the year after the FF.

I predict nothing, Pritzl could end up better, I doubt he'll be better this upcoming season than koening was last year. Badgers really struggled without Koening

I'm also positive that badgers will be in the mix and find a way

You gotta remember Pritzl is not a point He's a 2. He could be the best shooter Wis has had for a long time and that includes Koenig. He is more like a Combination of Gasser, Showalter, and Koenig. Gard has made it to two sweet 16's in two years. they were coming off of graduating Frank, Dekker, Traevon Jackson, Josh Gasser and Duje Dukan.. 3 are on NBA rosters 2 are in Europe.
This adjustment had more to do with Bo's lackluster start than anything. Last year they graduated Koening, Hayes, Showalter and Brown. Gard is really good and consistant. The roster has turned over since he was named coach and he has not skipped a beat. He was the lead recruiter for Bo. What he and Bo have in common other than coaching together since the Platteville days is a disrespect from B1G fans. It is totally understandable, but not wise.

You gotta remember Pritzl is not a point He's a 2. He could be the best shooter Wis has had for a long time and that includes Koenig. He is more like a Combination of Gasser, Showalter, and Koenig. Gard has made it to two sweet 16's in two years. they were coming off of graduating Frank, Dekker, Traevon Jackson, Josh Gasser and Duje Dukan.. 3 are on NBA rosters 2 are in Europe.
This adjustment had more to do with Bo's lackluster start than anything. Last year they graduated Koening, Hayes, Showalter and Brown. Gard is really good and consistant. The roster has turned over since he was named coach and he has not skipped a beat. He was the lead recruiter for Bo. What he and Bo have in common other than coaching together since the Platteville days is a disrespect from B1G fans. It is totally understandable, but not wise.
I'm unsure how continually saying badgers will be in the mix is disrespecting. The badgers will be fine but not as good last year. That's a lot of talent to replace.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I'm unsure how continually saying badgers will be in the mix is disrespecting. The badgers will be fine but not as good last year. That's a lot of talent to replace.

Bo didn't get his due for many years. It wasn't till late that most finally understood that he was special. They have a chance to be even better this year. They are young to be sure. I would not bet against them. Davidson is the real deal BTW

Bo didn't get his due for many years. It wasn't till late that most finally understood that he was special. They have a chance to be even better this year. They are young to be sure. I would not bet against them. Davidson is the real deal BTW
So basically anything besides declaring them the best ever is disrespect to you.

Bo got his due, most just didn't like him because he deserved a T every few minutes and ran very boring offense

Bo got his due, most just didn't like him because he deserved a T every few minutes and ran very boring offense
You obviously know much more about this team than I. There is no point in discussing it any longer. Oh, and Winning is never boring.

Uh-oh! Badger disrespect on Gopherhole! Big Eddy to the rescue!

Come on, Salzie! Everyone knows the Badgers are destined to finish top 4 in the Big Ten for the next 100 years. They are the Duke of the north! Just ask any arrogant badger fan. Gard has always been the guy really coaching the team. Bo mailed it in a decade ago.

All this "on paper" talk won't mean squat if the Gophers don't get the job done on the floor. I sure hope they worked on their shooting this summer. It's going to be difficult contending for the BT title if they shoot only 43% as a team again this year.

Uh-oh! Badger disrespect on Gopherhole! Big Eddy to the rescue!

Come on, Salzie! Everyone knows the Badgers are destined to finish top 4 in the Big Ten for the next 100 years. They are the Duke of the north! Just ask any arrogant badger fan. Gard has always been the guy really coaching the team. Bo mailed it in a decade ago.

All this "on paper" talk won't mean squat if the Gophers don't get the job done on the floor. I sure hope they worked on their shooting this summer. It's going to be difficult contending for the BT title if they shoot only 43% as a team again this year.

I fully understand that you guys have a really great team returning. Correcting a few false claims on my part certainly is not a call for respect on my part.
The Gophers don't need to disparage Gard and the Wisconsin program to make themselves appear better. I would be shocked if you don't fight tooth and nail with MSU for the B1G title. I just don't see the need to be revisionist about Wisconsin when the future is so bright for the Gophs. I would think unbridled optimism should reign here rather than looking for reasons to tear down the obstacles of your past failures.

You obviously know much more about this team than I. There is no point in discussing it any longer. Oh, and Winning is never boring.

I never said I did. I simply said I've repeatedly said despite challenge of replacing 4 starters Wisconsin will find a way to be in mix,wsomehow to you that's disrespect

Id take winning and boring basketball in mn, but Wisconsin often ran slow plodding offense that was boring to watch.

Top Bottom