College Football's Top 30 Running Back Tandems for 2017 (#15 Minnesota: Smith/Brooks)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

15. Minnesota: Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks

New coach P.J. Fleck inherits an offense with uncertainty at quarterback, but there’s little concern about the ground attack. The Golden Gophers return the top two performers from last year’s backfield, with Rodney Smith earning second-team All-Big Ten honors by Athlon Sports. Smith led the team with 1,158 yards and 16 scores last fall and also chipped in 23 catches for 188 yards. He also recorded five 100-yard performances in Big Ten play. Brooks led the team in rushing yardage in 2015 (709) and remained a key cog as the No. 2 back in 2016. In 10 appearances (and while dealing with a foot injury), Brooks rushed for 650 yards and five scores.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-30-running-back-tandems-2017

Go Gophers!!

Disagree with Florida St (quoting HS stats? LOL) Western Mich, and OSU being above us. Our backs are really good, and have done so behind sub par OL play and with no passing game.

Disagree with Florida St (quoting HS stats? LOL) Western Mich, and OSU being above us. Our backs are really good, and have done so behind sub par OL play and with no passing game.

I didn't go over the list, but it's hard to imagine there are really 14 better running back tandems. Maybe I'm too much of a homer but I really think they are elite.

It's patently absurd to say there are 14 better combos. If both of these guys transfered to the SEC, Ohio St./Florida St./Michigan, they'd be in the top 5.

They played some solid front 7s: Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. You have to keep in mind what these guys are working with, also. A good offense (line, QB play) might make these guys All-American caliber. That was certainly the case for Smith last year, and many well-informed opinions say Brooks is a more talented runner. Both will be going to the NFL.

Well it is Athlon, operated by the least college football intelligent people, ever

Top Bottom