Sid: Fleck on Douglas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fleck on Douglas

One of the biggest early recruiting successes for new Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was Demetrius Douglas, the wide receiver out of Portland (Jesuit), Ore.

Douglas was being recruited by the likes of Oregon, Notre Dame, Boise State and Stanford when Fleck and his staff got involved.

Douglas’ father, Omar, played for the Gophers in the early 1990s and finished his college career with 130 receptions for 1,681 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Fleck talked about the recruitment of Demetrius Douglas, who changed his commitment from Oregon to Minnesota on Jan. 14.

“We only had about 2½ weeks to recruit when we got here, in terms of full recruiting, and I did not know Omar or Demetrius, so when we got involved in that mix, it was a battle with Oregon and we ended up winning that battle and I got a chance to meet Omar,” Fleck said.

Fleck said Demetrius has stood out as one of the Gophers’ best players during training camp.

“He might be one of, if not the best receiver, we have on the roster,” Fleck said. “I think fans are really going to be excited into the future. I never really call [out] our freshman like that, but he is way, way more mature beyond his years right now. This young man can play, he’s smooth, he’s athletic, he’s fast, he catches the ball really well, incredible leader. … You talk about a guy not missing a beat playing every position now, it looks like he has been here for years.”

http://www.startribune.com/ben-gedeon-excelling-in-vikings-linebacker-battle/440849113/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Fleck on Douglas

One of the biggest early recruiting successes for new Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was Demetrius Douglas, the wide receiver out of Portland (Jesuit), Ore.

Douglas was being recruited by the likes of Oregon, Notre Dame, Boise State and Stanford when Fleck and his staff got involved.

Douglas’ father, Omar, played for the Gophers in the early 1990s and finished his college career with 130 receptions for 1,681 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Fleck talked about the recruitment of Demetrius Douglas, who changed his commitment from Oregon to Minnesota on Jan. 14.

“We only had about 2½ weeks to recruit when we got here, in terms of full recruiting, and I did not know Omar or Demetrius, so when we got involved in that mix, it was a battle with Oregon and we ended up winning that battle and I got a chance to meet Omar,” Fleck said.

Fleck said Demetrius has stood out as one of the Gophers’ best players during training camp.

He might be one of, if not the best receiver, we have on the roster,” Fleck said. “I think fans are really going to be excited into the future. I never really call [out] our freshman like that, but he is way, way more mature beyond his years right now. This young man can play, he’s smooth, he’s athletic, he’s fast, he catches the ball really well, incredible leader. … You talk about a guy not missing a beat playing every position now, it looks like he has been here for years.”

http://www.startribune.com/ben-gedeon-excelling-in-vikings-linebacker-battle/440849113/

Go Gophers!!

I really hope not, but this is starting to sound like Brewster describing Harold Howell.

I really hope not, but this is starting to sound like Brewster describing Harold Howell.

A few years ago before a bowl game Kill talked about how great his red shirt WRs were and how badly he wanted to play them .... we didn't seem to get much out of that bunch.

A few years ago before a bowl game Kill talked about how great his red shirt WRs were and how badly he wanted to play them .... we didn't seem to get much out of that bunch.

Are we talking SI type jinx here?

I see what you're saying but this is not even close. No one wanted Howell. Douglas was a solid high 3 star wr with great offers, a pedigreed, teaching father and has great lateral quickness and football is.

Harold could run fast in a straight line.

Have you been to practice? He is really really smooth and has the best acceleration to the ball on the roster. I would still put Tyler Johnson as #1, he's just one of those guys who can get open.

I see what you're saying but this is not even close. No one wanted Howell. Douglas was a solid high 3 star wr with great offers, a pedigreed, teaching father and has great lateral quickness and football is.

I am just saying that it sounds like Brewster describing him. I want young Mr. Douglas to be successful. I also wanted Mr. Howell to succeed. He, Howell, did actually make a few plays. IMHO he was pushed to play too early. Other things happened, and then he left the program IIRC.

Perhaps I should say I'd prefer that Coach Fleck wait till he makes some plays in games. Players typically have to wait till they've played in a game before speaking to the media. Maybe coaches should tone things down a bit till a player actually plays in a game.

I am just saying that it sounds like Brewster describing him. I want young Mr. Douglas to be successful. I also wanted Mr. Howell to succeed. He, Howell, did actually make a few plays. IMHO he was pushed to play too early. Other things happened, and then he left the program IIRC.

Perhaps I should say I'd prefer that Coach Fleck wait till he makes some plays in games. Players typically have to wait till they've played in a game before speaking to the media. Maybe coaches should tone things down a bit till a player actually plays in a game.

We all get where you're coming from but if there's one position that Fleck has some credibility to say this stuff about, it's WR

He's moved past 4 year vets in 2 weeks on the team. I'm pretty sure the hype is justified. And Fleck knows WRs, this isn't like Brewster at all.'

The more accurate comparison is when Mason was touting Maroney in fall camp as a true frosh.

He's moved past 4 year vets in 2 weeks on the team. I'm pretty sure the hype is justified. And Fleck knows WRs, this isn't like Brewster at all.'

The more accurate comparison is when Mason was touting Maroney in fall camp as a true frosh.

Considering our receiving group I think you could move pretty high on the list and still not be that productive.

Considering our receiving group I think you could move pretty high on the list and still not be that productive.

Receiver was definitely a black hole under the Kill/Claeys regime. Excited to have a coach that seems to have a grasp on the forward pass, maybe we can even get to the point where we have multiple strong options in the WR corps. I know that is crazy talk given what we have seen the past few years but I can recall a time when our passing game was actually solid so maybe we can get back to that again.

As for Douglas, receiver is a position a player can come in and be successful at right away if they are good enough. For the most part the guys Kill brought in were projects that never panned out. Hopefully Douglas can be one of those impact freshman on offense that we see on other teams but haven't had much luck getting here, at least on the offensive side of the ball.

I think that Fleck and his staff know a thing or two about wideouts. It helps that Fleck played wideout & has experience as a position coach there & he also just helped Corey Davis get drafted 5th overall by the Titans. I'm excited to watch Douglas play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that Fleck and his staff know a thing or two about wideouts. It helps that Fleck played wideout & has experience as a position coach there & he also just helped Corey Davis get drafted 5th overall by the Titans. I'm excited to watch Douglas play!

They might know WRs... hopefully they can get them the ball too.

One of the first debates I had on GH was when I posed that HH3 was not a legit D1 player and was educated on how he was often just "one step away" from breaking a KR for a TD.

per Sid:

Fleck on Douglas

Biggest success? None of the recruits has even played a game yet.

Maybe he's been successful at visiting kids in the hospital and inspiring them.
Maybe he's been a team leader in showing teammates the proper way to treat other people.
Maybe he's been a leader in the classroom getting excellent grades.
Maybe he's been a great success in helping establish the way the team practices.

For some of you it appears it's just about wins and losses.
This is real life for each of these players.

Maybe he's been successful at visiting kids in the hospital and inspiring them.
Maybe he's been a team leader in showing teammates the proper way to treat other people.
Maybe he's been a leader in the classroom getting excellent grades.
Maybe he's been a great success in helping establish the way the team practices.

For some of you it appears it's just about wins and losses.
This is real life for each of these players.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Sid meant. Especially the grades part. I heard he hasn't missed a point in class yet.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what Sid meant. Especially the grades part. I heard he hasn't missed a point in class yet.

I took it as it was a recruiting success as he got an OR commit, who was fairly highly regarded, to switch to the Gophers in under 3 weeks.

I took it as it was a recruiting success as he got an OR commit, who was fairly highly regarded, to switch to the Gophers in under 3 weeks.

You are probably right, but by using that logic we would need to consider many "busts" as great successes. I think Douglas will be awesome - just too soon to call him Fleck's Biggest Success.

You are probably right, but by using that logic we would need to consider many "busts" as great successes. I think Douglas will be awesome - just too soon to call him Fleck's Biggest Success.

Who is Fleck's biggest success so far?

One of the first debates I had on GH was when I posed that HH3 was not a legit D1 player and was educated on how he was often just "one step away" from breaking a KR for a TD.

Man if you watch a game .. nearly everyone is one step away...

So recruiting can't be judged at all until the players have completed 4 years.

Sure, go ahead. But to call DD his biggest success at MN seems a bit premature, don't you think?

He doesn't have one. Nor a biggest bust.

Who do you think is his biggest bust or failure?

So recruiting can't be judged at all until the players have completed 4 years.

+1. I want Fleck and the Gophers to succeed. I just think it should be tempered a little bit. Some guys don't begin to shine till game time.

Top Bottom