Gophers will play in Vancouver Showcase in 2018

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Will be a bracketed tournament (Nov. 18-20) that includes Texas A&M. Other 6 teams will be announced later.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boy, if A&M is a headliner I'm not excited to see the rest of this field. Their best win last season was Virginia Tech in a neutral site game. Hopefully, they have a great season this year to give us tough opponent in the event.

I'm guessing the other 6 teams are going to be mid/low majors teams? Still think an event like this will be better for us from a scheduling perspective than what the Barclays Classic(along with the other two games) will turn out to be.

I'm guessing the other 6 teams are going to be mid/low majors teams? Still think an event like this will be better for us from a scheduling perspective than what the Barclays Classic(along with the other two games) will turn out to be.

Yep, if we're going to play in a bracketed tournament, play in an 8-teamer instead of a 4-teamer with 2 crap-a*s non-bracketed opponents at home.

Similar to Cayman Islands Classic?

My guess is it'd be similar to the Cayman Islands Classic, the tournament Iowa is playing in this year. Not a lot of name recognition, but it's actually a pretty solid field. ... Cincinnati, Richmond, South Dakota State, UAB, Wyoming, etc. Would much rather play in an 8-team field like this than host teams like Alabama A&M and Western Carolina.

http://www.caymanislandsclassic.com/

FWIW I traveled to Vancouver last November around the same time as next years' tournament. Not the best time of year to visit (low 50's), but it's a beautiful city and very affordable that time of year......not to mention less than a 3 hour direct flight. Hopefully we can get a good amount of fans to make the trip!

My guess is it'd be similar to the Cayman Islands Classic, the tournament Iowa is playing in this year. Not a lot of name recognition, but it's actually a pretty solid field. ... Cincinnati, Richmond, South Dakota State, UAB, Wyoming, etc. Would much rather play in an 8-team field like this than host teams like Alabama A&M and Western Carolina.

http://www.caymanislandsclassic.com/

Teams like Richmond, South Dakota State, UAB and Wyoming would be music to my ears, with the crap we have on the schedule.

2018 has the US Bank stadium game which should be a decent opponent. We also will have the Big/ACC game but probably no Gavitt game. Maybe we add a home/home with someone as well. Add those to this tournament and I'm sure it will be similar to this year's non conference.

Vancouver is an awesome town.

If you have the chance to go, take it.

slopes may be open by then, hopefully. I think Grouse Mtn usually opens around Nov 20.
the convention center is next to the ferry terminal to north vancouver, then a bus ride from Lonsdale Quay to the slopes. loved watching people leave work downtown with their boards heading to the slopes for night skiing.
that said, Whistler if at all possible

oh, from experience. do not head up the escalator to the raised SkyTrain platforms without buying a ticket first on the lower level. they really really hate that

FWIW I traveled to Vancouver last November around the same time as next years' tournament. Not the best time of year to visit (low 50's), but it's a beautiful city and very affordable that time of year......not to mention less than a 3 hour direct flight. Hopefully we can get a good amount of fans to make the trip!

I'm making it a point to travel to a gopher hoop game every year. This year is Providence, next year maybe Vancouver?

Vancouver would be incredible. Looks like a lackluster bracket but the opportunity for these kids to travel international is a good sales tool and will be a great experience for the team.

I may have to make the trip up there. My wife has relatives up there so she won't mind the trip. I can also get my JapaDog fix.

Top Bottom