Do "1 and Done" Schools have Problems with Academic Eligibility?

alchemy2u

Reaction score
How can these schools have so many players that skip out of classes after just one semester and not have NCAA academic problems? I am not familiar with the rules, but it doesn't make sense that these schools can have players in school for just a few months and still meet the academic requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i don't think they all skip out. a 2015 article referenced 32 one and dones from the four years prior and found 30 of 32 completed spring classes with an average 2.88 gpa. since they only have to take a half load of freshman classes, some think one and done players improve apr. no penalty for going to the nba

I assume that they stay in compliance with the walk ons.

How can these schools have so many players that skip out of classes after just one semester and not have NCAA academic problems? I am not familiar with the rules, but it doesn't make sense that these schools can have players in school for just a few months and still meet the academic requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with your thoughts. It doesn't make sense with the schools and players playing games with the system. I know that many fans and schools support the system but to me its not much of a commitment of getting an education. The argument that many come back to complete their education is not true. Yes some do, the majority don't.

I don't understand how some one and dones like Marvin Bagley can graduate a year early and get into Duke, while other students can't meet the NCAA requirements.

I don't understand how some one and dones like Marvin Bagley can graduate a year early and get into Duke, while other students can't meet the NCAA requirements.

Guys like Bagley have been planning for the possibility of graduating early for years. He's likely added a few classes here and there since he was a freshman. I'm sure he doesn't meet Duke's normal admissions standards, but you could probably say that for a couple recruits in every decent D1 school's recruiting class. Recruits just have to meet the NCAA Clearinghouse requirements and then it is up to the school on whether to admit them. NCAA doesn't care about the second part. I can't remember what those requirements are, but they are pretty easy for most kids. Basically a 2.0 GPA in core courses and a mediocre SAT/ACT score.

Wasn't there some requirements about how many players have to graduate from the school, or are working towards graduating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom