House Report: Merrick Jackson and Gary Moore are making noise

DanielHouse

Reaction score
By: Daniel House- Follow on Twitter: @DanielHouseNFL

The Gophers continued their fall practice schedule with another open practice. The quarterback battle continued and two defensive lineman made noise as the team prepares for their first regular season game in just over two weeks.

For more, take a dive inside the House Report:

The quarterbacks duel it out

Many people have been keeping their eyes fixed on the quarterback position as the battle heats up between Demry Croft and Conor Rhoda. Coach Fleck said after practice no decision has been made, but it will be coming soon. He added, “if we think we’re going to need one quarterback the entire season, I’d be crazy to think that. As we go forward, I have to start looking at some options.”

On the practice field, Croft continued to show his accuracy and overall arm talent down the field. He delivered a great throw up the seam to Rashad Still, setting up a field goal in the tempo drill. Croft also dropped a dime on a touch fade to wide receiver Phillip Howard between Duke McGhee and Kunle Ayinde.

However, there are certain moments where Croft could make better decisions, especially when he has no options down the field. He tends to take off and run too quickly or forces a pass into traffic. On one occasion, he threw across his body to tight end Nate Wozniak and was intercepted by safety Jacob Huff. He also fumbled an exchange to running back Shannon Brooks with the Gophers deep inside their own 10-yard-line.

Quarterback Conor Rhoda led the Gophers on a 14-play, 94-yard drive at the end of practice, capped by a touchdown pass to Rashod Still. Rhoda also found Eric Carter deep up the seam in an early portion of practice. Later in the session, he nearly connected with Rashod Still on a touch fade, but slightly overthrew the pass. Still almost remarkably tracked the pass, however, it was just outside of his grasp. In addition, wide receiver Demetrius Douglas had a step on cornerback Kunle Ayinde, but Rhoda underthrew the pass. Rhoda throws well from 15-20 yards up the field at all hash marks, but is less consistent throwing the ball vertically.

Throughout practice, each quarterback has multiple strong moments, followed by a weak one. They both bring strengths to the table, but eventually one will need to be selected as the main starter. To maximize the full potential of this offense, I would lean in favor of Croft at this point. However, the coaches might elect to go with a quarterback by committee, too.

Johnson has a strong practice session

Wide receiver Tyler Johnson had a strong practice, hauling in numerous grabs all over the field, including a contested touchdown catch on cornerback Coney Durr. Johnson also had numerous receptions off multiple route combinations. He his getting open with improved route running and is winning more contested catch battles. This has been a major area of emphasis for the wide receivers. The coaches have been consistently working on the technique needed to make grabs with contact through the catch point. Freshman Demetrius Douglas continued to flash, showing his natural feel for the game. He ran a crisp quick slant to get open on cornerback Kunle Ayinde in a team drill. The Gophers are developing wide receivers and it will help the Gophers increase their yards per attempt. (I’ll have more on that in an upcoming GopherHole podcast).

Offensive line has a better day

The overall pass protection was much better during team drills and both quarterbacks had more time to move. There was extended work Tuesday among the offensive and defensive fronts during practice. Footwork and hand technique were emphasized with the offensive lineman and reps improved with more instruction. With Donnell Greene being held out of practice for precautionary reasons, Blaise Andries worked with the first-team at right tackle. He held held up very well, showing a strong base and improved punch. Coach Fleck said after practice he is a very hard worker and puts in the time to get better each day. It’s clear to see after he rebounded from a weaker performance I saw on Friday. Andries is going to be a rock solid player over the next few years.

I also saw multiple quality reps from left tackle Nick Connelly throughout practice. The offensive line had an improved tone and played with more of mean streak Tuesday.

I have been impressed with the interior run blocking. There were numerous lanes opened up for the running backs, including a power run to the left side for Shannon Brooks. On the second-tier units, Quinn Oseland and Ben Davis both caught my eye as run blockers. The pass protection was better Tuesday and the instruction of Ed Warinner on the offensive line has been slowly leading to progress up front. There may be lapses in consistency, but I think this unit will continue to get better over time.

Jackson and Moore are making noise

On the defensive line, I was moderately concerned about how the defensive tackle position would look behind Steven Richardson. However, defensive tackles Merrick Jackson and Gary Moore have caught my eye. Jackson looks to be in better shape and has been disruptive against the run on numerous occasions. His footwork has improved and he is more compact out of his stance. Jackson has been standing out alongside Steven Richardson inside. More importantly, Gary Moore might be the most improved player on this defense. There have been points of practice where he is completely dominant. On Tuesday, he blew up a Mohamed Ibrahim Jr. run in the backfield. He has become more polished with hand technique and overall quickness. After practice, I asked Coach Fleck about both of them and he said he’s been impressed with the way they’ve have bought in. He specifically discussed how Moore has been learning to handle adversity in his life and developing holistically. The idea of rotating these players inside with the edge rushers the Gophers have is an exciting thought.

Edge rusher Carter Coughlin talked to the media after practice and was openly discussing how much he has grown from a technique standpoint. Last year he said he was just reading his man, but now he is picking a point and rushing. He said he’s found that four yards behind the outside foot of the offensive tackle is a key rushing strategy. Coughlin has the chance to be a breakout star in this defense as coordinator Robb Smith gets super creative with how he uses unique talents.

Young cornerbacks getting work

At the cornerback positon, there are plenty of young players getting reps with Antonio Shenault being held out for precautionary reasons. Cornerback Justus Harris has been performing well, tallying a pass breakup Tuesday. I would like to see more of him as a nickel cornerback in this defense. In addition, cornerback Kiondre Thomas had two great pass breakups and is continuing to evolve with more experience. In the backend, Ken Handy Holly is adjusting to the rigors of college football, but has made a few notable plays. He notched a pass breakup Tuesday and it’s clear he is improving with more fundamental instruction. The big key for this team will be how the secondary holds up with inexperience at the cornerback spots.

Miscellaneous Notes:

- Kicker Emmit Carpenter was sharp, nailing all of his kicks in the pressure situations. He is looking more comfortable during the pressure situations P.J. Fleck places him in throughout practice.

- Wide receivers Demetrius Douglas and Matt Morse were taking a few reps on punt return.

- Cornerback Antoine Winfield Jr. didn’t practice, along with offensive tackle Donnell Greene and cornerback Antonio Shenault (precautionary reasons). Offensive lineman Garrison Wright has yet to return.

- Cornerback Coney Durr has been seeing more work in drills as he returns from a knee injury.

I've been intrigued by Gary Moore since he came here. I hope this year he can become a true contributor. He could be huge next year with our lack of depth at DT.

Agreed! Bryce Paup has really coached him up. His progression would be huge to pair with O.J. Smith and the incoming DL recruiting class. Thanks for reading everyone!

I've been intrigued by Gary Moore since he came here. I hope this year he can become a true contributor. He could be huge next year with our lack of depth at DT.

As always, great job, Daniel!

Here are some clips from the media availability today if you're interested:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agreed. Me too. Glad he redshirted last year as when he played as a true FR he looked woefully small for a DT. I am excited about his potential.

Good read.

I always like reading these, but at the same time note that it seems every year there is a guy or two who reportedly shows a lot in practice and... never hear from him again.

Hard to know what this stuff really means, but it is a good read.

love me some house report!

Agreed! Bryce Paup has really coached him up. His progression would be huge to pair with O.J. Smith and the incoming DL recruiting class. Thanks for reading everyone!

Daniel -
How is Silver looking at DT? I remember he has 3 to play 2 and with our depth there this year (& lack of upperclassman depth the next couple years) I would love to see him redshirt this year (unless injury requires him to play). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Me too. Glad he redshirted last year as when he played as a true FR he looked woefully small for a DT. I am excited about his potential.

Moore was listed at 6'3", 285 as an incoming recruit.

Moore was listed at 6'3", 285 as an incoming recruit.

Really? I won't doubt you there. From my, albeit spotty, memory he didn't seem to look the part of being 285. He looked tall but lanky for a DT from my memory. But that was two years ago? I have consumed a lot of beer in that time frame so that could be altering my memory. :cool:

Really? I won't doubt you there. From my, albeit spotty, memory he didn't seem to look the part of being 285. He looked tall but lanky for a DT from my memory. But that was two years ago? I have consumed a lot of beer in that time frame so that could be altering my memory. :cool:

Three years ago - 2014. He played in 2014, redshirted in 2015, and played in 2016. I didn't have the perception in 2014 that he was too small - just that he wasn't even close to good enough to be playing in the Big Ten at that point. Thankfully, Kill burned his redshirt for what seemed like about 10-12 total snaps over the course of the season.

Three years ago - 2014. He played in 2014, redshirted in 2015, and played in 2016. I didn't have the perception in 2014 that he was too small - just that he wasn't even close to good enough to be playing in the Big Ten at that point. Thankfully, Kill burned his redshirt for what seemed like about 10-12 total snaps over the course of the season.

The bold is what I am remembering more than anything. Not sure why I was thinking he was so undersized as apparently I was a little off base. Like I said, too much beer has altered my memory bank from that season. HAHA. :cool:

I thought he could be a huge piece, this year in the rotation or starting. If he is unlocking his natural talent, he could be the biggest news of the fall camp.

I also like the news on true freshman Blaise Andries. He could be just finding himself. He could make the two deep. Possibly starter. The news from camp is encouraging. Thanks, House

Do we have a potential "Cashman" on the roster? I've always loved the guys that have been a surprise and had a major impact on the team. It goes back to the mid 90's when John Schlecht (sp?) came here as an unheralded transfer. If I recall, it was St. Cloud State. In short order, he became a total beast and was one of my all time favorite defensive lineman.
We've had A.J. Barker, Brian Smith, Cam Botticelli, Blake Cashman and many others that played major roles for the Gophers. Any word on some hidden gems during the fall practices?

Do we have a potential "Cashman" on the roster? I've always loved the guys that have been a surprise and had a major impact on the team. It goes back to the mid 90's when John Schlecht (sp?) came here as an unheralded transfer. If I recall, it was St. Cloud State. In short order, he became a total beast and was one of my all time favorite defensive lineman.
We've had A.J. Barker, Brian Smith, Cam Botticelli, Blake Cashman and many others that played major roles for the Gophers. Any word on some hidden gems during the fall practices?

Great post CW! I agree with you on Schlecht...dude was fun to watch. Love the walk ones with a chip on their shoulder! I bet the Lakeville kid who is a center will end up being a good one ala Jon Christianson.

Can somebody tell me what's up with the man bras a lot of the guys are wearing? I noticed it when I went to practice the other day. I guess I could use the Google, but I'm too lazy...

Can somebody tell me what's up with the man bras a lot of the guys are wearing? I noticed it when I went to practice the other day. I guess I could use the Google, but I'm too lazy...

Would also be nice to know where you can buy these. Asking for a friend.

They are called "Catapult" vests that measure many different variables related to sports performance. These include total odometer, high intensity yards, accelerations, hit velocity, and many others. It's basically like a GPS tracker. Many NFL teams use them now in their strength and conditioning programs.

You can check them out here:http://www.catapultsports.com/us/

Would also be nice to know where you can buy these. Asking for a friend.

Top Bottom