P.J. Fleck opens door to playing two quarterbacks - TwinCities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
After Tuesday’s practice, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck pivoted on the quarterback competition between Demry Croft and Conor Rhoda as the time to name a starter dwindles.

“If we think we are going to have one quarterback or need one quarterback through this entire season, I would be crazy to think that,” Fleck said. “As we go forward, I have to start looking at some options.”

During Big Ten media days on July 25, Fleck’s stated his preference is to “home in on one” quarterback, and Tuesday’s comment appears to shift that stance.

Minnesota’s first-year head coach prefers to name a starter before the Gophers begin implementing the game plan for the season opener Aug. 31 against Buffalo. He pegged that point at next week.

“Hopefully make a decision here very soon,” Fleck said. “I’m not going to wait much longer. Like I said, it’s going to be what I feel is best for the football team; that is what I get paid to do.”

Fleck repeated Tuesday that he has seen both Croft and Rhoda improve during preseason camp. When one has improved his level of play, the other has quickly matched it, he said.

In successive snapshots during Minnesota’s open practice Tuesday, Rhoda threw a touchdown pass to tight end Brandon Lingen, and Croft connected with wide receiver Tyler Johnson for a TD. Both came during seven-on-seven passing drills...

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/15/gophers-p-j-fleck-opens-door-to-playing-two-quarterbacks/

What's the saying, "If you have two Quarterbacks.. you have none"

I was really hoping / Still hoping someone can pull ahead as the lead guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the saying, "If you have two Quarterbacks.. you have none"

I was really hoping / Still hoping someone can pull ahead as the lead guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except my faith tells me that this is the rare occasion were you have a Joe Montana and a Steve Young at the same time.

“If we think we are going to have one quarterback or need one quarterback through this entire season, I would be crazy to think that,” Fleck said. “As we go forward, I have to start looking at some options.”

It would be very nice to have 2 or even 3 Quarterbacks who can play at the Big Ten level.

Not gonna jump on the "see NEITHER guy can play up here" bandwagon. Sounds like Fleck isn't ready for that either.

I don't necessarily think that he's saying he'll use a platoon type situation. Just that quarterbacks get injured.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah get them both some snaps against Buffalo. One of them will run away with from there...I think

Coach speak, most likely.

It will be interesting to hear Dinardo and Co. Thurs.

Expect a BTN announcement for starting QB.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Please be coach speak...

I don't think at any point he said he wanted to run a platoon system.

How many QBs play every snap of a season? When is the last time a Gopher QB did?

Injuries, suspensions (its the Gophers...) or anything else lead to multiple guys playing. Even if Croft is much better, he sprains his ankle, you need to play someone else.

If there isn't a clear-cut leader by the beginning of the season, let them both takes some snaps during the nonconference schedule. Hopefully then, one will show they should be the starter.

If Rhoda hasn't separated himself by now then the guy is Croft. He has more eligibility. Problem solved.
Stop dicking around and start giving someone all of the first team snaps.
You impair both of them by not picking one of them.

If Rhoda hasn't separated himself by now then the guy is Croft. He has more eligibility. Problem solved.

Disagree. Competition and uncertainty can be a good thing for both of them.

Disagree. Competition and uncertainty can be a good thing for both of them.

Uncertainty is the last thing you want when you're trying to establish route timings and ball placement down to fractions of a second and quarters of an inch.
Neither of them have started before they need as many first team reps as possible.
Both for their own benefit and for our receivers.
30 minutes of first team reps is worth significantly less than an hour.
Also splitting time working with a QB coach when you're trying to develop a quarterback's ability to read defenses is dumb.
The reason that having two quarterbacks doesn't work is that they each practice with the first team half as much.

God forbid we get into the season and then you're breaking down two sets of film with two sets of develop points and two sets of practice plans.
QB touches the ball every play, it requires more attention to detail than any other position on offense.

Uncertainty is the last thing you want when you're trying to establish route timings and ball placement down to fractions of a second and quarters of an inch.
Neither of them have started before they need as many first team reps as possible.
Both for their own benefit and for our receivers.
30 minutes of first team reps is worth significantly less than an hour.
Also splitting time working with a QB coach when you're trying to develop a quarterback's ability to read defenses is dumb.
The reason that having two quarterbacks doesn't work is that they each practice with the first team half as much.

God forbid we get into the season and then you're breaking down two sets of film with two sets of develop points and two sets of practice plans.
QB touches the ball every play, it requires more attention to detail than any other position on offense.

God forbid we go into a season where coaching staff is so derelict in their duties that if the starting QB is hurt we need to forfeit the rest of the season.

Maybe in the fantasy football world teams only need 1 QB. In the Big Ten it will always be better to have at least 2 guys prepared to actually play.

God forbid we go into a season where coaching staff is so derelict in their duties that if the starting QB is hurt we need to forfeit the rest of the season.

Maybe in the fantasy football world teams only need 1 QB. In the Big Ten it will always be better to have at least 2 guys prepared to actually play.

Prepare with the second team like any other team in college/professional
The issue isn't # of reps, it's who your reps are with.
Timing only develops with repetition.
With new quarterbacks lots of preseason reps are especially important.
Splitting time between _two_ new quarterbacks is a recipe for disaster.
I guarantee you Rhoda and Leidner were not splitting first team reps 50/50 last season.
Same with Bradford and Hill.
Same with McSorley and whoever Penn States' backup is.

In a perfect world, you would want a clear-cut starter, but still have a quality backup. I think that's all Fleck was saying. Very few teams play an entire season with one QB. Injuries are a fact of life, and if you don't have a capable backup, you're in trouble.

the question is: how big is the separation between #1 and #2. is #1 5% better; 10% better; 25% better?

I agree with you on Croft. It it really is a toss up give the ball to the man with more eligibility. He has a chance to grow more and I think his potential is higher as well.

I disagree with you on impairing them by dragging this out. They should both be acting as if they are the #1 guy and preparing to start vs Buffalo. I think competition brings out the best in people and hopefully this is no different.

I agree with you on Croft. It it really is a toss up give the ball to the man with more eligibility. He has a chance to grow more and I think his potential is higher as well.

I disagree with you on impairing them by dragging this out. They should both be acting as if they are the #1 guy and preparing to start vs Buffalo. I think competition brings out the best in people and hopefully this is no different.

The only downside is that time with the 1st team is limited... if we're going with 1 guy... he needs that time.

Top Bottom