The Big 12, the Big 10, and college football's conference wars

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per LancasterOnline.com:

College football fans, as you probably know, love to debate which conference is best.

This Space’s take on that is that it’s way overblown, just something beyond the games to argue about.

Even when the SEC was winning eight straight national titles and was perceived to be the varsity and the rest of the country the JV, it was never as superior a top-to-bottom league as people thought, according to me.

One thing that jumped out from Staples’ data: The top conference over the past five years, in median draft position for all players and for offensive linemen, was not the SEC, but the Big Ten.

That five-year period is one in which the Big Ten has to an extent reinvented itself. There’s been a revenue windfall from its TV network and a series of coaching changes in which the new guy potentially brought more to the recruiting table, be it a big personality or a big resume or Tornado-force energy or an NFL pedigree or some combination of the above.

Jim Tressel to Urban Meyer. Brady Hoke to Jim Harbaugh. Jerry Kill to

P. J. Fleck. Bo Pelini to Mike Riley. Tim Beckman to Lovie Smith. Randy Edsall to D. J. Durkin.

And, yes, Bill O’Brien to James Franklin.

In related news, Penn State has gotten verbal commitments from three four-star 2018 prospects in the last 10 days. It’s 23-member 2018 class is now ranked first in the country in Rivals.com.

It ranks fourth in the composite rankings by 24/7 Sports, in which Ohio State is No. 1.

“I was shocked at the disrespect to Big Ten had in 2012,’’ Meyer said last month, referring to when he arrived at Ohio State.

“I don't feel that at all anymore. … You sit and look at the national recruiting rankings and you see the Big Ten everywhere, all over the place, and that's the way it should be.’’

http://lancasteronline.com/sports/b...cle_32561d5e-807e-11e7-8995-171e811c6197.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom