New Pitino Blog "Noise" Posted

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Here you go:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/081417aaa.html

(Excerpt below)

"Years ago, Pat Riley wrote in his book "The Winner Within" how, in one of his first seasons with the Lakers, his guys went through as he called it, "the innocent climb." They had a young, talented team but uncertain expectations at the time. In describing the climb, Riley wrote, "being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable. The team’s energy and enthusiasm take on a life of their own." Our team last year went through exactly that. All we had was each other at the beginning and that bond that was formed was extremely powerful. There were no preseason accolades or rankings. Only way to be recognized was to win.

One last story about last season then I will close that chapter and move on. I remember piling into a way too small, cramped, outdated locker room that we created in the Bierman Athletic Building when I first got here. Every time I walked into that locker room I chuckled. Most teams would have complained. These guys didn't. We were all watching the end of the Maryland/ Michigan State game before we got on the bus to the airport. If Maryland won we would secure a double bye in the Big Ten Tournament – something that hadn't ever been done here before. As Maryland’s Melo Trimble hit the game winner at the buzzer I saw the joy on the faces of our players and coaching staff. Everybody was hugging and high fiving each other. I initially didn't want our sports information director, Dan Reisig, to post it on social media because our facilities were a bit embarrassing to be honest. I also didn't want it to be perceived that we were satisfied. In the end I didn't care because it was such a good moment that was captured. That small, cramped locker room was symbolic of our team last season. Not a lot of glitz or glamour to that group. They were more substance than style. There was no complaining about little materialistic things. These guys just wanted to play. It was our version of Pat Riley's "innocent climb." Of course it ended too soon in the NCAA tournament. I won't use injuries as an excuse. At the end of the day, we just weren't good enough that evening. Middle Tennessee State was the better team that day. Hopefully we will get that opportunity again this season and do a better job."

Always appreciate Pitino's willingness to accept responsibility when things go wrong...far cry from his predecessor.

The innocent climb reminds me of something Bud Grant always said: it's easier to get to the top than to stay there. The team's challenge this coming year is to stay hungry. Pitino's second team here did not seem hungry on the heels of their surprising success the prior year.

In bringing up the injuries, he sort of is making the excuse. In a roundabout way.

In bringing up the injuries, he sort of is making the excuse. In a roundabout way.

"I won't use injuries as an excuse. At the end of the day, we just weren't good enough that evening."

But by saying he isn't using it as an excuse and following that up by saying we weren't the better team he's not using it as an excuse.

He's pointing to the fact that the next man up was not prepared enough to fill in the hole that was left by Springs absence, and he's taking responsibility for that.

One thing I am excited for this year is that the "next man up" is likely going to be a more talented, more ready player.

I agree. If you're not using injuries as an excuse, just don't say it. That said, its a perfectly valid excuse since they essentially played with 25% of their starting backcourt in that game as Mason was a shell of himself. Of course your roster is your roster and if backcourt depth is a weakness all year its just part of the game to lose because of your weaknesses

Something else to take from that post.

Last year, the team was able to play the underdog role - the "you're from MN and you don't get no respect" card.

This year is a very different situation. There are serious expectations for this year's team. It will be interesting to see how the team and the coaching staff handles that.

In one sense, it's a lot easier to be the underdog with no expectations. when people expect you to be good, that is a different dynamic. Let's see what happens.

Something else to take from that post.

Last year, the team was able to play the underdog role - the "you're from MN and you don't get no respect" card.

This year is a very different situation. There are serious expectations for this year's team. It will be interesting to see how the team and the coaching staff handles that.

In one sense, it's a lot easier to be the underdog with no expectations. when people expect you to be good, that is a different dynamic. Let's see what happens.

The year will be good. The team expects to win and they will win. 16-2 and Big Ten champs..

Top Bottom