The Jug, Pig, Bell, and Axe.

Taji34

Reaction score
You forgot the chair :p

This is kind of a jaded question, but a conversation I had with my son this weekend. He asked what rival trophy did I think was the most revered? The question is jaded, because we haven't won the axe in 13 years. So yes, as it stands right now, that would be the most important. If
we're winning on equal terms with the axe and pig because we play for them every year, I would still value the jug because of the significance of the Michigan program. Same goes with Penn State and the bell. Wisconsin and Iowa can't hold a candle to what Michigan and Penn State have done on a National level. I know some of you will immediately throw Penn State out of the picture, and maybe even the jug brings up the rear of the pig and axe. For me it is:
1.Jug
2.Bell
3.Pig
4.Axe
5. the chair

Is my post showing up as #1 for other people too, or is it just me? ruppert's post should be first.

1. Jug
2. Pig
3. Axe
4. Bell

The Little Brown Jug is the Holy Grail of Gopher football. The Pig is the coolest traveling trophy anywhere.

I didn't even know the Gophers had a trophy with Wisconsin until I was an adult, and frankly, I hate the Badgers so much I'm not even sure I'd want to touch the Axe after it's been in Wisconsin.

The Bell is a silly thing. The intention was good, but there was no natural rivalry and almost no history between the Gophers and PSU when it was introduced, and precious little since.

Where's the Broken Chair? That one should have replaced the Silly Bell, but it seems the two administrations never wanted it.

1. Jug

2. Axe

3. Pig

4. Bell

Jug due to tradition and the number of years involved. Axe because I dislike the Badgers so much.

1. Jug
2. Pig
3. Axe
4. Chair
5. Bell

Jug is the coolest trophy.

Axe and then the pig mean the most as it levels us against our natural rivals and will gauge how the season will turn out. We don't have successful seasons imho if we don't get at least 1 of the 3, hence why 2014 was so successful: 2 of 3!

With Wisconsin's 13-year reign over Minnesota I would have to say that the Axe now sits on top of my wish list. The rivalry has gotten stronger despite any Minnesota victories and I think social media adds more fuel to the fire. Before the conference split, I would always want the Jug. Since then, the Michigan-Minnesota rivalry does not seem as big as it used to be. I would only drop the Jug down one wrung though because the rivalry with Iowa has been relatively even over the past 5 years or so. A win over Iowa is great, but a win over a good Michigan team is better for me. I like the chair. The chair has a story. Retire the thing with Penn St.
My list:
1. Axe
2. Jug
3. Pig
4. Chair
5. A can of soda wager I make with a co-worker from Northwestern.
6. Some kind of wager I could, or might, make with a guy from Illinois or Purdue in any college football chat room
7. And finally, whatever that thing is that we play Penn St. for

OK, I'm going to take a controversial point of view here. (what a shock)

As this point, MN and WI do not have a "rivalry." I honestly don't think about the Axe, because I don't expect MN to win the damn thing, sorry to say. It's just embarrassing when WI brings the thing out every year, because you know it's just going back with them at the end of the day. I don't even want to see the bleepin' axe at this point. Maybe at some point in the future it will be a rivalry again - when the Gophers actually win a game every now and then.

Until then, the trophy I care most about is the Pig. Because that has been a competitive series in recent years. I would put the Chair 2nd - because again, the Gophers and Neb have had an interesting series in recent years. Next I would put the Jug for historical importance, then the Axe. The Governor's Victory bell is a joke. You can't just come up with a trophy and create a rivalry out of whole cloth. the game has to mean something first before the trophy can mean something.

Axe
Jug
Floyd
Bell

The axe sits atop for me because it has been so long and because of it's importance in the B1G West. I also think beating Wisconsin would prove to the Gopher fanbase this program + Fleck are for real.

Axe
Pig
Jug

No doubt for me. I don't care about the bell and refuse to recognize the stupid chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axe
Pig
Jug

No doubt for me either. I don't care about the chair and refuse to recognize the stupid bell.

OK, I'm going to take a controversial point of view here. (what a shock)

As this point, MN and WI do not have a "rivalry." I honestly don't think about the Axe, because I don't expect MN to win the damn thing, sorry to say. It's just embarrassing when WI brings the thing out every year, because you know it's just going back with them at the end of the day. I don't even want to see the bleepin' axe at this point. Maybe at some point in the future it will be a rivalry again - when the Gophers actually win a game every now and then.

Until then, the trophy I care most about is the Pig. Because that has been a competitive series in recent years. I would put the Chair 2nd - because again, the Gophers and Neb have had an interesting series in recent years. Next I would put the Jug for historical importance, then the Axe. The Governor's Victory bell is a joke. You can't just come up with a trophy and create a rivalry out of whole cloth. the game has to mean something first before the trophy can mean something.

SON, this is the most perfect example of settling for mediocrity we could ever ask for, and I thank you.

Axe
Pig
Jug

No doubt for me. I don't care about the bell and refuse to recognize the stupid chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing that in about 1910 you would have refused to recognize the stupid Jug.

If we're talking trophies.
1) Pig
2) Jug
3)Axe (not the original trophy) Though we won the last game for the Slab of Bacon. They have no right to it
4) Chair I love the story it's authentic and not forced like Nebraska's other trophy games.
5) Victory Bell. Understand the sentiment but it's dumb luck that we were there first conference game.
Ranking The Rivalries
1( Wisconsin
2) Iowa
3)Michigan
4) Nebraska
5) Penn State
Side note I would say NW a bigger rival than Penn State there's just no trophy

1. The Jug - it is the one we win the least since the beginning.
2. Floyd - The pig is special since it means we beat Iowa and their stupid pink locker room.
3. The Axe/Slab of Bacon - still the coolest of the trophies. We used to own this series but no more.
Note - SI rated the top ten rivalry trophies and all three of these were in the top 5! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2677287-ranking-top-college-football-rivalry-game-trophies
4. Bits of Broken Chair
There's a bell? Governor's bell?

We need a trophy for Northwestern. The Report Card or Job offer or something. And why isn't there one with Illinois? A trophy of a horse with a broken leg and its rider on the ground from stepping in a Gopher hole or something.

The trophy that matters right now is the Axe. Officially it's the Slab of Bacon, but the criminals at Wisconsin "lost" it. I propose that whenever we do win the Axe back, that it gets "lost" soon thereafter and replaced with an Oar or a Paddle.

The trophy that matters right now is the Axe. Officially it's the Slab of Bacon, but the criminals at Wisconsin "lost" it. I propose that whenever we do win the Axe back, that it gets "lost" soon thereafter and replaced with an Oar or a Paddle.

This! +1

For me it's:
Axe
Axe
Axe
Jug
Floyd

That's all you need!

I like jugs

latest

1. The Jug - it is the one we win the least since the beginning.
2. Floyd - The pig is special since it means we beat Iowa and their stupid pink locker room.
3. The Axe/Slab of Bacon - still the coolest of the trophies. We used to own this series but no more.
Note - SI rated the top ten rivalry trophies and all three of these were in the top 5! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2677287-ranking-top-college-football-rivalry-game-trophies
4. Bits of Broken Chair
There's a bell? Governor's bell?

We need a trophy for Northwestern. The Report Card or Job offer or something. And why isn't there one with Illinois? A trophy of a horse with a broken leg and its rider on the ground from stepping in a Gopher hole or something.

How about a slide rule? Seriously though, the more trophies, the more watered down trophy games become...

Top Bottom