The Jug, Pig, Bell, and Axe.

I'm guessing that in about 1910 you would have refused to recognize the stupid Jug.

Trophies are for real rivalries. You can't manufacture a rivalry because you want there to be one. Making up a trophy doesn't make the game more important because you want it to. Bell - Yawn. Chair - Yawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're talking about Spoof here... my guess is back in 1910 he DID refuse to recognize the stupid jug.

I'm 43 Dude. Cynical enough to be 117, but just 43.

Trophies are for real rivalries. You can't manufacture a rivalry because you want there to be one. Making up a trophy doesn't make the game more important because you want it to. Bell - Yawn. Chair - Yawn.

The Gophers vs. Huskers is approaching rivalry status. They have met 54 times dating back to 1900, we lead the overall series 31-24-2.
Since the Huskers joined the BIG, Nebraska is 4-2, with the first two being Neb. blowout wins, but the last 4 have been very competitive. Since we both play in the West, the rivalry will continue to grow. It doesn't come close to the Axe, Jug or Pig in stature, but the $5BoBC has a great origin and it would be cool if that trophy continued to evolve with the budding rivalry. The Bell can just go away altogether.

The Gophers vs. Huskers is approaching rivalry status. They have met 54 times dating back to 1900, we lead the overall series 31-24-2.
Since the Huskers joined the BIG, Nebraska is 4-2, with the first two being Neb. blowout wins, but the last 4 have been very competitive. Since we both play in the West, the rivalry will continue to grow. It doesn't come close to the Axe, Jug or Pig in stature, but the $5BoBC has a great origin and it would be cool if that trophy continued to evolve with the budding rivalry. The Bell can just go away altogether.

It was a rivalry and if the Gophers win a few more you're right, it will be again.

It was a rivalry and if the Gophers win a few more you're right, it will be again.

There has to be some level of dislike between rivals. Who hates Nebby? I doubt any Husker fans hate the Gophers.

1. Jug
2. Pig
3. Axe
4. Chair
5. Bell

+1
The Jug is the one that started them all. The back story is awesome and It's Michigan vs Minnesota. Number one with a bullet!

Although I hate Wisconsin, and actually only dislike Iowa for the 3 plus hours we play them, There is something about Floyd and watching lineman struggle to hoist that bronze pig. Close 3rd is the axe though. The axe does look kinda bad-ass when the victors run around with it.

Though it is awesome to hoist, because it means we beat PSU, the trophy itself is kinda lacking. I'd actually rate the broken chair above the Governor's Victory Bell.

1. Jug
2. Pig
3. Axe
4. Broken Chair
5. Bell

There has to be some level of dislike between rivals. Who hates Nebby? I doubt any Husker fans hate the Gophers.

Not necessarily. If you're suggesting there was no rivalry from 1900 to about 1968 that wouldn't be true. Though can't speak to them "hating" each other or not.

But beat the Huskers a couple more times and you'll start to hear the "dislike" from them starting to show up. Ask Missouri fans what happened when they had the audacity to win some games from 2003 to 2008.

Buddy of mine was down there for the in '04, '06 and '08. The change in Husker fans from "Good to see you. You put on a good game" to people swearing and throwing things at Mizzo fans was pretty dramatic indeed.

The Bell is worthless. Can we agree to get rid of it? The Bell diminishes the other trophies.

1. Jug
2. Axe
3. Pig
4. Chair
5. Bell

The Bell is a joke- and not as funny as the Chair.

Trophies are for real rivalries. You can't manufacture a rivalry because you want there to be one.
The Michigan "Rivalry" is just such a thing. It only exists because of the trophy, that series/matchup is NOT a rivalry.

Pretty much where I stand on the trophies. The only difference the $5BoBC has from the Axe, Pig, and Jug, is simply its early 21st century context.

Re the Jug - the Gophers should be playing Michigan every year. Just my opinion, but it's important to me.

1. The Jug - it is the one we win the least since the beginning.
2. Floyd - The pig is special since it means we beat Iowa and their stupid pink locker room.
3. The Axe/Slab of Bacon - still the coolest of the trophies. We used to own this series but no more.
Note - SI rated the top ten rivalry trophies and all three of these were in the top 5! http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2677287-ranking-top-college-football-rivalry-game-trophies
4. Bits of Broken Chair
There's a bell? Governor's bell?

We need a trophy for Northwestern. The Report Card or Job offer or something. And why isn't there one with Illinois? A trophy of a horse with a broken leg and its rider on the ground from stepping in a Gopher hole or something.

Brewster proposed a Trophy with Illinois since he went there. What else do I need to say about that???? :)

For me, I go back and forth on the top three - Axe, Jug and Pig. I love all three and go back and forth about which is the best. They are all great trophies and all would look real nice in the trophy case.

Next is the $5 BBoC. That was fun when it was created, the teams have been playing some really good games lately and it can be a fun rivalry.

I don't per se hate the Victory Bell. But outside of 1999 when the Gophers won it the first time, it really hasn't meant much. The best still has to be the artists rendition of the trophy they played for the first time because the trophy wasn't done yet...

Is the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy still a thing? I remember how it became a reality from the Twitter world but can't seem to recall ever seeing Nebraska carry the trophy around last year in Lincoln.

Was anything ever made official with this trophy between the schools? I agree with others that this is a great trophy with an actual story behind it and is nothing forced like we have seen in recent years with other trophies around college football. Minnesota and Nebraska definitely have the makings of a good rivalry and I hope this trophy can be a part of that in the future. I just haven't heard or read any updates on it's status and whether or not the schools have officially adopted it as part of the rivalry.

Is the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy still a thing? I remember how it became a reality from the Twitter world but can't seem to recall ever seeing Nebraska carry the trophy around last year in Lincoln.

Was anything ever made official with this trophy between the schools? I agree with others that this is a great trophy with an actual story behind it and is nothing forced like we have seen in recent years with other trophies around college football. Minnesota and Nebraska definitely have the makings of a good rivalry and I hope this trophy can be a part of that in the future. I just haven't heard or read any updates on it's status and whether or not the schools have officially adopted it as part of the rivalry.

This answers your question.

https://www.change.org/p/save-the-5-bits-of-broken-chair-trophy

I don't know why this needs the endorsement of the schools. It can be a thing between fan or student groups and eventually it may be embraced by the schools and allowed back onto the field. I'm not sure if anyone would be able to sneak it into the stadium.

I suspect Nebraska's admin would prefer to never hear the word Pelini ever again, and the bet about breaking the chair over someone's back is probably just too low-brow for our high-cultured, high-minded overlords.

It can be a thing between fan or student groups and eventually it may be embraced by the schools and allowed back onto the field.

These kind of trophies mean a lot more than some lame made-up trophy. I love that the team managers of Wisconsin and Iowa play a flag football game the night before the actual football teams play. The winner gets the Rusty Toolbox - a tool box with logos of winning teams pasted next to the year of the game. That's how trophies should be born The Chair sounds similar to that

I'm 43 Dude. Cynical enough to be 117, but just 43.

Sorry, the cynicism got me [emoji23] I thought u witnessed the last gopher natty! Lol jk jk

Right... I dislike nebby's arrogance and I kinda dislike some of the more vociferous fans I guess... altho that goes for any team that's not the U of M or USC (family ties) as for Iowa i don't like them but really they might as well rename the state of Iowa to South Minnesota (I also think north and South Dakota should become one state called West Minnesota but that's just me) but it's certainly not to the level of disdain and disgust I have for that cesspool to the east of us.

Top Bottom