Q&A: Gophers Commit Nathan Boe: "The new era of Gopher football is going to be elite"

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gophers Commit Nathan Boe: "The new era of Gopher football is going to be elite"

Q&A: Gophers Commit Nathan Boe: "The new era of Gopher football is going to be elite."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/823110?referrer_id=

Nathan Boe, a 6-foot-4, 265-pound center from Lakeville (MN) North, recently committed to Minnesota.

Boe helped lead the Panthers to a 9-2 record this past season, losing to Totino-Grace 42-14 in the third round of the Class AAAAAA playoffs.

GopherHole caught with Boe to learn more about his commitment and upcoming season.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota recently after going to one of their camps. When did they offer you?

Nathan Boe: So, they offered me, I believe it was Saturday June 17th at the camp. They offered me after camp. Coach Fleck pulled me into his office afterwards.

Gopher Hole: Where you surprised at all about the offer? I know that you had a really good performance at the camp, but were you surprised that you got the offer then?

Nathan Boe: I wouldn't say surprised. I always knew that it was a possibility. I was pretty confident with my performance. I was nervous and anxious leading up to Coach Fleck. I was extremely joyful and happy that I received the offer.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction been with your family and friends since you committed?

Nathan Boe: It has been exciting for my family. It has been a true blessing. My parents and I are very close. I have a very good relationship with my parents. They are all very proud of me. My siblings are as well. I am really excited.

Gopher Hole: Was that kind of the thing where you had thought if you got a Minnesota offer, that you might commit fairly quickly?

Nathan Boe: Yes. When I went there and visited, I went for an unofficial visit a week or two prior to that camp and I just really enjoyed all the academic facilities, the campus and the general living. I have grown up in Minnesota and I have always loved the Gophers, so it kind of made sense in a lot of ways and it ended up being the right fit, so I did what I was going commit that day if I did get offered and I did.

Gopher Hole: Did you have a chance to go to many games last year. Obviously, there was a different coaching staff, but did you get a chance to go to many games last year or be at TCF in the past?

Nathan Boe: No, not necessarily. I haven't been to TCF Bank as much. I've been to more like basketball games. I didn't go to any games last year, but I'm planning on going to plenty this year.

Gopher Hole: Had you heard much from the old staff at all? I know that obviously you were only a junior last year.

Nathan Boe: I got invited by I think it was Coach Sherels at the time to their Junior camp, but they were recruiting me more as a defensive player then, so things didn't just work out then. I am more of a natural O lineman. I heard a little bit, not as much, but it was my junior year.

Gopher Hole: How many offers did you have before you committed besides Minnesota?

Nathan Boe: Five. Western Illinois, Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State and North Dakota.

Gopher Hole: Had you had a chance to visit those schools yet?

Nathan Boe: Yes. I visited Northern Illinois once. South Dakota State three times and the other three I didn't visit at all.

Gopher Hole: What other schools were you hearing from besides those five and Minnesota when you committed?

Nathan Boe: South Dakota, Iowa and North Dakota State.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you grew up as a Minnesota kid. What was it that made you think, this is where I want to be?

Nathan Boe: I love the state of Minnesota and I also love the new direction of the program. I am really excited for the new direction of the program's going towards and I can't wait to be a part of it. The new era of Gopher football is going to be elite.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota has done a good job recruiting, not only Minnesota kids, but out-state players as well. You are the 17th player to commit. Have you gotten to know any of the other commits?

Nathan Boe: We have a group chat on Imessage and we talk once in awhile on that. I meet a couple of kids at camps, but we are going to have a 2018 get together at TCF Stadium sometime in July.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you feel a little bit closer to those guys, even though you hadn't meet most of them? Do you have a little bit on a connection that you will build on?

Nathan Boe: Yes. I trust Coach Fleck and the other coaches completely. Coach Fleck is all about recruiting elite people because that is crucial to a great program. I knows that they are already getting a lot of the top recruits from Minnesota, which is huge because in the past years the Gophers, I don't think have gotten a lot of the top recruits from Minnesota. There are a lot of good players here and it is very fortunate that Coach Fleck and the rest of the staff are noticing the talent.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that is important to you that they are recruiting not only a strong group nationally, but playing with kids that you have gotten to know in-state as well?

Nathan Boe: Yes. I think it is. I just know that playing in Minnesota that there is a lot of good talent here and I think that it has gone overlooked in the past by some bigger schools. There have been plenty of great Minnesota kids, but I just think that lately, especially my class is pretty strong. I know that Brevyn Spann-Ford is going to the Gophers. He was highly recruited by other schools. Josh Aune, a linebacker from St. Paul. They are getting some good recruits.

Gopher Hole: How about your high school team? Obviously, you had a good year last season, finishing 9-2, unfortunately losing to Totino-Grace in the playoffs and they went on to win the Prep Bowl. What are the expectations for the Panthers for the upcoming year?

Nathan Boe: Our expectations are very high. They always are. Coach Vossen expects nothing less from us. I have very high expectations for the team as being one of four senior captains. I am really looking forward to this year. We have a lot of talent and I think that we have the potential to be a really good team. We have a really big offensive line and we have two really good running backs and a couple of good defensive players, so we should have a strong team this year.

Gopher Hole: I know that you lost some good players (including Minnesota Mr. Football Wade Sullivan). Do you think that you have a lot of good players who can step in for those graduating seniors?

Nathan Boe: I think so. I really do. We didn't have a lot of juniors who started on offense, but a lot of people were key players and got considerable reps. On defense, I think that we lost about half of our juniors and seniors. I was the only junior starter on offense. We had a sophomore starter in (Gopher recruit) Bryce Benhart. We should have a good team.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you have made it far in the state tournament, but just haven't gotten quite as far as you would like. What would it mean to maybe have the chance to play US Bank Stadium for a Prep Bowl title? What would that mean to you as a senior?

Nathan Boe: It would mean the world to me because I have been battling and playing with my teammates, my high school teammates all throughout the years. We have always talked about it and to be the one Lakeville North team. Lakeville High School has won a state championship a couple of times, but Lakeville North hasn't for awhile. It would be awesome. The new stadium and my senior year going out, I think that it would complete a great run.

Gopher Hole: Are the Gophers looking at you completely as a center?

Nathan Boe: Center or guard.

Gopher Hole: You are the only center commitment that they have. Does that mean something to you that you are the only one at that position right now?

Nathan Boe: Yes. I know that with offensive lines, some guys will move positions or what not. That is just the way the offensive line is, but yes, it does. I really do trust the coaches. Coach Warinner is a fantastic O-line coach. He has tons of experience. To be recognized by him as a scholarship player by him means a lot to me. He has coached multiple NFL O-linemen.

Gopher Hole: You talked about being one of four captains. That is obviously a big honor. What does that mean to you being a captain as a senior?

Nathan Boe: It really means a lot to me because my fellow teammates are like brothers to me. We have such a close bond on the football team and it means a lot to me being a captain. Leadership role and I am always trying to be a leader. Always have been. Have always led by example and it means a lot to me that my teammates voted me captain.

Gopher Hole: As a center, you are kind of a leader of the offensive line. Does that come with that position, being a leader and being one of the top players on the team?

Nathan Boe: Yes. That is really why I love playing center because we get to hold the ball every play. Get to call out different commands. It is a fun position.

Gopher Hole: What would you like to get up to when you start college next year? Have you talked to the coaches about what weight you would like to be at as a freshmen?

Nathan Boe: I hope to be somewhere in the mid to upper 270's. They haven't set too many goals for me to be to get to, but that is just my own personal goal. They said that they would like to see me in the 270's by like February. I can't remember exactly, but it is very doable.

Gopher Hole: What were you last year?

Nathan Boe: I played at 240.

Gopher Hole: Do you play any other sports at Lakeville North?

Nathan Boe: Basketball.

Gopher Hole: Are you playing basketball this year?

Nathan Boe: I am still personally undecided, but probably not. I think it is time for that run to be over. I'm not the most talented basketball player. I have always played it to get quicker for football.

Gopher Hole: Is it a little bit tough in a way because you are running so much that it is sometimes hard to put on weight?

Nathan Boe: It is. It takes a lot of dedication. A lot of protein shakes a day. Eating a lot of food. It is tough that way to gain a lot of weight because of running so much.

Gopher Hole: You had a great season last year and made it to the state tournament. What was that like?

Nathan Boe: It was unbelievable because I played a little bit my sophomore year. I started the last three or four games at defensive end, but then to help my team as a two-way starter to a state tournament, That was a fun ride. We had such a great senior class. I had a lot of friends in that senior class that just graduated. We had a lot of fun. It was a great ride and it was unfortunate that it ended up short, but we had a great time together. I was very blessed to be with them and part of that team.

Gopher Hole: Is that a motivating factor to hopefully even get a little farther this year?

Nathan Boe: Yes. It totally is. I would love to get another shot at Totino-Grace. It was an ugly game in a lot of ways. Rosemount, too (they lost to the Irish 24-21 in double overtime). I think that we have a really strong team coming back and I'm really excited. I am going to leave everything I got on the field every game like it is my last, so I am going to do everything I can to win this year.

Top Bottom