Akeem Springs on Fitzgerald: "I think he’s going to shock everybody this year."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Akeem Springs on Fitzgerald: "I think he’s going to shock everybody this year."

per Marcus:

Q: What are your impressions from what you’ve seen from the Gophers this summer?

A: They’ll be better because of the pieces they added like Isaiah (Washington), Jamir (Harris) and Davonte (Fitzgerald). Davonte is one of my favorites. I think he’s going to shock everybody this year. So Davonte is another piece they add that’s going to take them to the next level. We have a group text message going right now. And they know if they lose I’ll be really disappointed. I don’t expect them to lose – ever this year. We have a group text going for the team that they let me stay in it. That’s really cool thing that we all keep in touch.

Q: Who do you think will be the Gophers’ most improved players?

A: I watched them this summer. The whole team has impressed me. I know the Gophers fans watched the (Twin Cities) Pro Am. You see the strides Jordan Murphy is making. It might not mean a lot to them. But when Jordan Murphy is shooting his three that’s something that is being looked over right now. I think it’s going to be a big thing for them next year. Eric Curry is somebody who has really impressed me right now. I’m kind of disappointed he cut his hair (laughs). But I saw him in the gym and he’s shooting the ball really well. Of course, the young guys have really impressed me. Their work ethic more than anything impresses me – how hard they work. I’ll sneak in the gym sometimes when I think they’re gone. And you’ll still see Jamir and Isaiah in there really late. So that impresses me.

Q: Who will take your place in a leadership role with the Gophers?

A: Nate (Mason). I think he’s ready for it. As much as I hate that I didn’t get to play in the NCAA tournament. I think what it did was it gave other guys the chance to experience the tournament and experience what it was like playing without me – how it’s going to be next year. They’re going to be better next year and hungry because they got a taste of the tournament.

http://www.startribune.com/akeem-sp...n-be-better-without-him-in-2017-18/439771053/

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't it be incredible if Davonte can play and lead like Akeem Springs? There's not one person on this board who wouldn't take that.

Where do you get men like Akeem Springs? He's uncommon.

Akeem is destined for a leadership/mentoring position. He is an impressive young man. So glad we had him for one year and hope his outstanding attitude continues to rub off on the team.

Akeem is destined for a leadership/mentoring position. He is an impressive young man. So glad we had him for one year and hope his outstanding attitude continues to rub off on the team.

I'm very excited for Fitz. He's supposed to be one of the better players on the team (that was said after he first transferred) so hopefully he's healthy. It's nice to have a team that appears to have a lot of depth, something that hurt us last season.

And I sure hope Springs and Pitino are right about Fitzgerald. Lack of depth hurt us badly last year.

And I sure hope Springs and Pitino are right about Fitzgerald. Lack of depth hurt us badly last year.

The next step will be taken if Fitz is who we've heard he is, same with Washington. And we NEED one of Hurt/Harris to deliver on those "shooter" tags put upon them.

If Fitz can guard 3 and 4's, huge. He's going to be the key to playing small or playing big, meaning they can match up with anyone

Remember when everyone was worried that Springs was going to leave after the first game because of what his brother tweeted. Anyways the Gophers were so lucky to have him last year and I hope he sticks around, he seems like a great guy.

How come he isn't a graduate assistant if he is looking to get into coaching?

If Fitz can guard 3 and 4's, huge. He's going to be the key to playing small or playing big, meaning they can match up with anyone

I've only seen him one time but my impression was that he would be more likely to push Coffey to the 2 and play the 3 than moving into the PF role. Hurt would be more physical than Fitzpatrick from what I remember.

I've only seen him one time but my impression was that he would be more likely to push Coffey to the 2 and play the 3 than moving into the PF role. Hurt would be more physical than Fitzpatrick from what I remember.

So he's 100% perimeter player, from what you've seen?

Fitzpatrick... lol

So he's 100% perimeter player, from what you've seen?

Fitzgerald I mean, his game was all perimeter, he didn't crash the boards, never posted up, he will drive to the basket but more as a wing player, he's probably been working in the weight room so who knows maybe he will be more comfortable playing inside, if he is playing the 4 I would guess the Gophers will be pressing or playing a zone.

I couldn't find the thread with the Doogie podcast interview with Pitino sometime recently in mid August but...the question was: Who is your best shooter? The answer, in two different ways with disclaimers from Pitino was Jamir Harris, "by far the most potential" as a shooter. The next guy mentioned was Eric Curry. "I think Eric Curry's numbers will jump like Dupree's last year" He listed Nate, Dupree, Amir and then seemed to add Michael Hurt at the end to be nice. But Fitzgerald's name was not mentioned. IW was not mentioned. "We don't have a knock down shooter but if we do Jamir would be that guy. They will all get better with more reps." It was a thoughtful response, so I don't think he just forgot anybody. Fitzgerald, I don't think was mentioned in 20 minutes. Pitino was excited about IW overall for sure!!

I'm guessing he hasn't played much because of his injury.

Just my thought

Top Bottom