PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 8-13-17 - Belated Sunday Afternoon edition

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Again, sorry about earlier. I usually don't work Sundays, but was filling in for a guy who got married.

OK - going to post a recap of the Fleck interview based on the podcast from the 'CCO website: Dave Mona was off - just Mike Max and Sid.

Sid: Story in Strib on academic stuff.
PJF: APR very important. % of athletes on track to graduate. highest of any public institution. (behind ND and Stanford). Has a lot to do with people that were here before us. make sure a major priority. take seriously.

Sid: What did you learn when you were on Kill's staff?
PJF: I Learned a tremendous amount from every coach I worked for. As an assistant coach, you take things you like and shape your own philosophy.

Sid: talk about the scrimmage.
PJF: Ran a lot of plays -130 play scrimmage. get young kids a lot of reps. put QB's in tough situation. find out how many of the young kids can play, because some of them will need to play. we're a very young, inexperienced team. don't have a lot of guys who have played. part of building process. lot of fun to get out there.

Sid: how did QB's look?
PJF: both did a lot of good things. they're all doing things well. still hasn't been one guy step forward and say "this is my job." all 4 are getting better. the decision is getting tougher. everyone is getting better. it's easy situation when only one stands out, but that's not good for your depth. have to make best decision moving forward. we'll try to make it in a reasonable time

Max: what is the toughest part of playing QB in your system?
PJF: QB is the decisive decision maker. can you make decisions? need to be efficient and done at urgent pace. have to master the system. new offense for these guys. had spring and now 10 practices. got to continue to develop. decision making when they have the ball in their hands - the ball is the #1 statistic. teams at top of division win turnover margin. teams that don't do well are at the bottom. decisions QB makes make difference in season

Sid: any freshmen stand out?
PJF: Demitrius Douglas FR WR - outstanding. one of best receivers on roster. never usually call out FR - he is way more mature beyond years. he can play - smooth, fast, catches ball well. incredible leader. looks like he's been here 3 years.

Max: did you visit with his father? (dad is a former Gopher)
PJF: I did not know Omar. got involved in that mix during recruiting. it was a battle with Oregon, and we won. got a chance to meet Omar. Omar never wanted to be focus of the recruiting process - wanted it to be about Demetrius. Demetrius knew he would be going to go to same school as his dad - didn't want to be in shadow of his dad - wanted to make his own future. got talent. whole family really special. excited for future. he's a player that we can build around.

Sid: offense or defense stand out during scrimmage?
PJF: We won. the only game I can ever go home and say we won on both sides of the ball. during season, even if you win, you find things you didn't like. today, did a lot of good things. proud of progress made as FB team. does it mean we have depth everywhere? No - but we're getting better.

Sid: any Surprises?
PJF: Defensively we're going to have to play FR in secondary. Ray Estes - switched to corner because of depth. depleted in secondary. proud of progress. Justice a kid we'll possbily see at nickle position. Morgan going to be a good QB. I like the 2 RB's we have. up front, glad to have Jared back. he's the commander of the line.

Sid: have you Stayed healthy?
PJF: have a few bumps and bruises. credit to athletic trainer, strength coach. the way we practice is different than anyone in country. (talks about NCAA restrictions on practice). In middle of week, we don't practice. training camp is hard. kids fighting through - hope it stays that way.

Sid: will the 2 kids from Marshall play?
PJF: we will see. Blaise - if we can play him. never want to play a kid just to be a backup. true FR - almost impossible to play on O-line. 18 years old playing against 22-year-old grown men. Blaise is smart, athletic, tough. He's failing a lot now - got to be used to getting your butt kicked, will only help him for future. could possibly play this year.

Sid: Murray's certificate.
PJF: ski-u-mah, RTB. Go Gophers

Thanks Son.
Based on recent experience, I'll wait to get too excited about reviews on Freshman WRs that haven't played yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! From the practice I attended and recaps I've seen it's surprising that Croft has not been named the starting QB this year.

Thank you! From the practice I attended and recaps I've seen it's surprising that Croft has not been named the starting QB this year.

This may be silly to mention, but listening to the qb's bark out the call, Rhoda is much more commanding and loud. Croft is very soft spoken. Also, in watching him face the press after practice, he doesn't come across as a dynamic personality. Very laid back and quiet. And his body posture is a little slumped (even for a tall, thin man). But in watching the 2 QBs practice, I definitely think Croft is the better passer and runner. His personality may be the factor holding him back. Not sure how important that is. Maybe Fleck likes a cocky QB. Also, Rhoda is much bigger in person than he looks on TV.

The surprising part to me is that each day he is singing the praises of true freshman Douglas. Little bit safer all around to tout one of a dozen guys expected to excel.. Brooks and Smith, Richardson, the linebackers, kicker, punter, Coughlin & Martin at rush ends, Lingen, etc Douglas must be amazing, which is cool!

The surprising part to me is that each day he is singing the praises of true freshman Douglas. Little bit safer all around to tout one of a dozen guys expected to excel.. Brooks and Smith, Richardson, the linebackers, kicker, punter, Coughlin & Martin at rush ends, Lingen, etc Douglas must be amazing, which is cool!

Good point. Maybe it's because he was a receiver. Sees things quicker at that position perhaps?

That is dedication SON. Thank you very much! Ski-U-Mah!

As far as I'm concerned, never worry about posting this thread late due to work or family obligations. Appreciated you getting it done when things had settled down for you!

This may be silly to mention, but listening to the qb's bark out the call, Rhoda is much more commanding and loud. Croft is very soft spoken. Also, in watching him face the press after practice, he doesn't come across as a dynamic personality. Very laid back and quiet. And his body posture is a little slumped (even for a tall, thin man). But in watching the 2 QBs practice, I definitely think Croft is the better passer and runner. His personality may be the factor holding him back. Not sure how important that is. Maybe Fleck likes a cocky QB. Also, Rhoda is much bigger in person than he looks on TV.

Sounds like Rhoda may have had a better Saturday performance wise than Croft. Also sounds like both now have a good command of the offense. Should be an eventful next couple weeks as they battle to start.

Top Bottom