P.J. Fleck is certain he can bring Minnesota out of the cold

Myron Medcalf gives a Minnesota perspective to the current football program.

Minnesotans have heard this before. Sure, they didn't hear it the way P.J. Fleck says it -- with endless energy. Five decades worth of predecessors were convinced they'd win. They didn't. Fleck is sure he can get the boat rowing in the right direction.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/135/minnesota-golden-gophers

Kill, Claeys, Mason, and even Brewster "won" some games. Maybe we haven't won to the level people hoped, but that line makes it sounds like we haven't had a winning season in 50 years.

The direction the Gophers are in is a 9 win season. Fleck is coming off a 13 win season. That is the right direction for the Sleeping Giant Gopher.

Win = Big Ten Champion. That would be something no one could argue with.

(I feel like I am channeling Wren. I miss Wren.)

MrC:

Prexy B, Big 10 wins, one game at a time. You are WELCOME

But they've drowned in the platitudes and promises of former coaches, so they're cautious. Lou Holtz wooed a desperate fan base before he bolted for Notre Dame in the 1980s after two seasons. Glen Mason reneged on a deal to accept Georgia's head-coaching job prior to his stint with Minnesota.

He later said, "Not a day goes by that I don't think about that Georgia job and the bad decision I made."

He was still Minnesota's head coach at the time.

But when Fleck talks about "comparisons," he's referencing one man.

A decade ago, Tim Brewster walked into a news conference in Minneapolis and talked about a bright future and renewed vision.

Brewster, then a tight ends coach with the Denver Broncos who had no prior head-coaching experience, spoke in the third person.

"The No. 1 thing everyone says about Tim Brewster is that he's a great salesman," said Brewster, now an assistant at Florida State. "Well, I tell you what: You're not going to be a great salesman if you don't have a great product."

He then said he would recruit the best kids in the state, players who would help the team reach the Rose Bowl.

"Our expectation is to win a Big Ten championship now," Brewster said then. "We're not interested in any rebuilding process."

He finished 1-11 his first year and lost every Big Ten game.

Minnesota fired Brewster in 2010, midway through the third year of his tenure.

"It's absolutely not fair to [Fleck], but I can see how he's compared to [Brewster]," said Babu, a longtime fan.

Fleck is not Brewster.

He's a proven leader who finished 1-11 in his first season with Western Michigan in 2013. Four years later, the Broncos went 13-1.

But they've drowned in the platitudes and promises of former coaches, so they're cautious. Lou Holtz wooed a desperate fan base before he bolted for Notre Dame in the 1980s after two seasons. Glen Mason reneged on a deal to accept Georgia's head-coaching job prior to his stint with Minnesota.

He later said, "Not a day goes by that I don't think about that Georgia job and the bad decision I made."

He was still Minnesota's head coach at the time.

But when Fleck talks about "comparisons," he's referencing one man.

A decade ago, Tim Brewster walked into a news conference in Minneapolis and talked about a bright future and renewed vision.

Brewster, then a tight ends coach with the Denver Broncos who had no prior head-coaching experience, spoke in the third person.

"The No. 1 thing everyone says about Tim Brewster is that he's a great salesman," said Brewster, now an assistant at Florida State. "Well, I tell you what: You're not going to be a great salesman if you don't have a great product."

He then said he would recruit the best kids in the state, players who would help the team reach the Rose Bowl.

"Our expectation is to win a Big Ten championship now," Brewster said then. "We're not interested in any rebuilding process."

He finished 1-11 his first year and lost every Big Ten game.

Minnesota fired Brewster in 2010, midway through the third year of his tenure.

"It's absolutely not fair to [Fleck], but I can see how he's compared to [Brewster]," said Babu, a longtime fan.

Fleck is not Brewster.

He's a proven leader who finished 1-11 in his first season with Western Michigan in 2013. Four years later, the Broncos went 13-1.

Were are the links for the Mason and Brewster quotes?

Top Bottom