Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Notes from Gophers' closed scrimmage today

Error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Bud was a great coach. The only thing I didn't like was the "I'm so tough I don't need a hat" persona. Oh-well. The bolded part makes perfect sense.

An 88-year-old Bud Grant striding out to midfield wearing a short sleeve shirt in -25 degree wind chill for the Seahawks/Vikings coin toss was the toughest thing I've ever seen. If I stub my toe I break into tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    Why wouldn't you like that?
    "Look how tough I am". BS, Silly and Transparent.

I'm one of the 4-5

Bud was a great coach. The only thing I didn't like was the "I'm so tough I don't need a hat" persona. Oh-well. The bolded part makes perfect sense.

Why wouldn't you like that?

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Guy View Post
    You are not a Bud Grant fan Spooof BUT I always liked the decisions Bud Grant made as a coach more than any other coaches in Minnesota football, basketball or baseball "recent" history. Bud always said: "Never make a decision until you have to." As a coach, it's a great piece of wisdom to utilize. One of the two could get hurt between now and game day or any number of other scenarios. You can always tell the healthy one and your team, he was your guy all along. In the meantime, it forces the guys to compete, focus, and perform. Sometimes in the process character is revealed you didn't want to see making the decision easier.
    So ya, totally cool with no starter named. It's also fit's into PJ's media buzz plan...the suspense, the intrigue.
    Perhaps a good motto for a coach. I wish Joel Maturi hadn't adopted it though. Doesn't work so well for Administrators in charge of the big picture.

"Look how tough I am". BS, Silly and Transparent.

You definitely have silly and transparent down pat.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Based on what I have seen there is no need to name anyone early because no one is a sure thing as a B1G QB, yet. Croft has generally looked better, at times much better. When he gets hot he can look great. But he has not thrown sideline patterns well at all, even in drills. Fortunately when he misses on sideline passes he throws high, but that is a staple passing play for getting first downs, and this includes end zone fades. Not being able to execute that is a problem. Rhoda has made more mistakes, especially interceptions, which is not what you want from a 5th year player. Croft generally has the better arm, way stronger than anyone else, but he struggles on finesse/touch passes. (I know others think this is a knockout win already, but my point is not that the contest is equal but that neither QB has shown the consistency we need at QB, so why pick someone now?) I am also not saying they will fail as QBs, only that they are not yet at what I consider starter level consistency.
    Whoever is running with the 2s has a big disadvantage because the second team oline can not pass block against the blitzes Smith is running in many passing downs, especially late game situations. In fact the first team really struggles against them. They are good blitzes, so it is not a total disaster, but it is really hard for the 2nd team QB to find anyone when the blitzer is arriving as he finishes his drop back.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by corcoran1 View Post
    Based on what I have seen there is no need to name anyone early because no one is a sure thing as a B1G QB, yet. Croft has generally looked better, at times much better. When he gets hot he can look great. But he has not thrown sideline patterns well at all, even in drills. Fortunately when he misses on sideline passes he throws high, but that is a staple passing play for getting first downs, and this includes end zone fades. Not being able to execute that is a problem. Rhoda has made more mistakes, especially interceptions, which is not what you want from a 5th year player. Croft generally has the better arm, way stronger than anyone else, but he struggles on finesse/touch passes. (I know others think this is a knockout win already, but my point is not that the contest is equal but that neither QB has shown the consistency we need at QB, so why pick someone now?) I am also not saying they will fail as QBs, only that they are not yet at what I consider starter level consistency.
    Whoever is running with the 2s has a big disadvantage because the second team oline can not pass block against the blitzes Smith is running in many passing downs, especially late game situations. In fact the first team really struggles against them. They are good blitzes, so it is not a total disaster, but it is really hard for the 2nd team QB to find anyone when the blitzer is arriving as he finishes his drop back.
    I mean your first sentence and your second paragraph seem to conflict.

The reason to name someone earlier might be to get them time with the first team as much as possible. Splitting the difference for long means whomever is the starter would have lost time.

I was under the impression we would be out of the shotgun exclusively. Point remains if he can't even set his feet.

Regarding the announcement, and I'm just guessing, Fleck may want to maximize the drama and publicity of the new face of the team by announcing while the BTN cameras are in town Thursday. If he hasn't decided yet and is not keeping it under wraps that's a bit of a red flag.
    "This isn't serious? LSU would motor boat us" -- Trudat
    Sept 3, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    I was under the impression we would be out of the shotgun exclusively. Point remains if he can't even set his feet.

Regarding the announcement, and I'm just guessing, Fleck may want to maximize the drama and publicity of the new face of the team by announcing while the BTN cameras are in town Thursday. If he hasn't decided yet and is not keeping it under wraps that's a bit of a red flag.
    They were exclusively out of shotgun in the Cotton Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    They were exclusively out of shotgun in the Cotton Bowl.
    Ran some two back, two tight end situational stuff the other day from under center.