Notes from Gophers' closed scrimmage today

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Was there no other media there? I'm not big on the Twitter, but I'd think there would be a bunch of notes/impressions out there.

Was there no other media there? I'm not big on the Twitter, but I'd think there would be a bunch of notes/impressions out there.

He was even there! In his twitter feed he said "he heard".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closed scrimmage - to fans and media, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think PJ has no intention of naming a starter publicly soon. Which is fine.

Same here.
Guessing that prior to Sat. they were leaning one way, but the other person had a better day.

I know, I know, BUT

I'm starting to think PJ has no intention of naming a starter publicly soon. Which is fine.

You are not a Bud Grant fan Spooof BUT I always liked the decisions Bud Grant made as a coach more than any other coaches in Minnesota football, basketball or baseball "recent" history. Bud always said: "Never make a decision until you have to." As a coach, it's a great piece of wisdom to utilize. One of the two could get hurt between now and game day or any number of other scenarios. You can always tell the healthy one and your team, he was your guy all along. In the meantime, it forces the guys to compete, focus, and perform. Sometimes in the process character is revealed you didn't want to see making the decision easier.
So ya, totally cool with no starter named. It's also fit's into PJ's media buzz plan...the suspense, the intrigue.

You are not a Bud Grant fan Spooof BUT I always liked the decisions Bud Grant made as a coach more than any other coaches in Minnesota football, basketball or baseball "recent" history. Bud always said: <b>"Never make a decision until you have to."</b> As a coach, it's a great piece of wisdom to utilize. One of the two could get hurt between now and game day or any number of other scenarios. You can always tell the healthy one and your team, he was your guy all along. In the meantime, it forces the guys to compete, focus, and perform. Sometimes in the process character is revealed you didn't want to see making the decision easier.
So ya, totally cool with no starter named. It's also fit's into PJ's media buzz plan...the suspense, the intrigue.

Bud was a great coach. The only thing I didn't like was the "I'm so tough I don't need a hat" persona. Oh-well. The bolded part makes perfect sense.

[QUOTEhim and Rhoda led scoring drives.][/QUOTE] beautiful doogie. What school did you attend? Him cannot do anything, the correct word is he.

Never show your cards until absolutely necessary. Spoof and 60's Guy are spot on. I am not sure exactly when the starting QB will be named, but I would guess 7-10 days before the Buffalo game. Be assured PJ will let it be known that they are going to need both QB's healthy and ready to play for the team to be Elite.

Witholding the name of the starting QB will be critical to keeping Buffalo from studying film of our QB and game planning for us. A key to victory!

Witholding the name of the starting QB will be critical to keeping Buffalo from studying film of our QB and game planning for us. A key to victory!

Especially since they have an advantage with Coach Z on their staff!!

Bud was a great coach. The only thing I didn't like was the "I'm so tough I don't need a hat" persona. Oh-well. The bolded part makes perfect sense.

An 88-year-old Bud Grant striding out to midfield wearing a short sleeve shirt in -25 degree wind chill for the Seahawks/Vikings coin toss was the toughest thing I've ever seen. If I stub my toe I break into tears.

Why wouldn't you like that?

You are not a Bud Grant fan Spooof BUT I always liked the decisions Bud Grant made as a coach more than any other coaches in Minnesota football, basketball or baseball "recent" history. Bud always said: "Never make a decision until you have to." As a coach, it's a great piece of wisdom to utilize. One of the two could get hurt between now and game day or any number of other scenarios. You can always tell the healthy one and your team, he was your guy all along. In the meantime, it forces the guys to compete, focus, and perform. Sometimes in the process character is revealed you didn't want to see making the decision easier.

Perhaps a good motto for a coach. I wish Joel Maturi hadn't adopted it though. Doesn't work so well for Administrators in charge of the big picture.

Based on what I have seen there is no need to name anyone early because no one is a sure thing as a B1G QB, yet. Croft has generally looked better, at times much better. When he gets hot he can look great. But he has not thrown sideline patterns well at all, even in drills. Fortunately when he misses on sideline passes he throws high, but that is a staple passing play for getting first downs, and this includes end zone fades. Not being able to execute that is a problem. Rhoda has made more mistakes, especially interceptions, which is not what you want from a 5th year player. Croft generally has the better arm, way stronger than anyone else, but he struggles on finesse/touch passes. (I know others think this is a knockout win already, but my point is not that the contest is equal but that neither QB has shown the consistency we need at QB, so why pick someone now?) I am also not saying they will fail as QBs, only that they are not yet at what I consider starter level consistency.
Whoever is running with the 2s has a big disadvantage because the second team oline can not pass block against the blitzes Smith is running in many passing downs, especially late game situations. In fact the first team really struggles against them. They are good blitzes, so it is not a total disaster, but it is really hard for the 2nd team QB to find anyone when the blitzer is arriving as he finishes his drop back.

Based on what I have seen there is no need to name anyone early because no one is a sure thing as a B1G QB, yet. Croft has generally looked better, at times much better. When he gets hot he can look great. But he has not thrown sideline patterns well at all, even in drills. Fortunately when he misses on sideline passes he throws high, but that is a staple passing play for getting first downs, and this includes end zone fades. Not being able to execute that is a problem. Rhoda has made more mistakes, especially interceptions, which is not what you want from a 5th year player. Croft generally has the better arm, way stronger than anyone else, but he struggles on finesse/touch passes. (I know others think this is a knockout win already, but my point is not that the contest is equal but that neither QB has shown the consistency we need at QB, so why pick someone now?) I am also not saying they will fail as QBs, only that they are not yet at what I consider starter level consistency.
Whoever is running with the 2s has a big disadvantage because the second team oline can not pass block against the blitzes Smith is running in many passing downs, especially late game situations. In fact the first team really struggles against them. They are good blitzes, so it is not a total disaster, but it is really hard for the 2nd team QB to find anyone when the blitzer is arriving as he finishes his drop back.

I mean your first sentence and your second paragraph seem to conflict.

The reason to name someone earlier might be to get them time with the first team as much as possible. Splitting the difference for long means whomever is the starter would have lost time.

I was under the impression we would be out of the shotgun exclusively. Point remains if he can't even set his feet.

Regarding the announcement, and I'm just guessing, Fleck may want to maximize the drama and publicity of the new face of the team by announcing while the BTN cameras are in town Thursday. If he hasn't decided yet and is not keeping it under wraps that's a bit of a red flag.

I was under the impression we would be out of the shotgun exclusively. Point remains if he can't even set his feet.

Regarding the announcement, and I'm just guessing, Fleck may want to maximize the drama and publicity of the new face of the team by announcing while the BTN cameras are in town Thursday. If he hasn't decided yet and is not keeping it under wraps that's a bit of a red flag.

They were exclusively out of shotgun in the Cotton Bowl.

Top Bottom