Marshall Independent: Makings of a Golden era

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Marshall Independent:

There’s a renewed interest in the University of Minnesota football team around Marshall and the entire state these days.

It’s not just because Marshall High School graduates Blaise Andries and Drew Hmielewski are on the roster either (though that certainly doesn’t hurt).

The more likely reason for the spike in interest around town and across the state is PJ Fleck and the rest of the new coaching staff that was hired in January.

I know everything comes back to wins and losses. That’s always the case in competitive sports. But there are some people I’ve come across who only care about wins and losses, and don’t seem to care about the rest.

“More than football” was one of the things Fleck said he wants he program to be about. I guess some people just don’t like that.

That’s not my stance though. While I do believe this coaching staff can be successful on the field over its tenure at the University of Minnesota, it’s not why I support them as much as I do. I support PJ Fleck because he wants to make a difference in other people’s lives.

Quick success on the field coupled with the RTB culture could be the makings of a golden era for the Golden Gophers, a program that has won 10 games in a season just once since 1905. Last season was only the second time reaching nine wins in the same time frame.

I know many television sets around Marshall will be tuned in to check out a couple of former Marshall Tigers on the field this season in Andries and Hmielewski, but the team’s new culture is what could really set the program apart from many other teams around college football and is worth supporting.

https://www.marshallindependent.com...yond-the-sports-desk-makings-of-a-golden-era/

Go Gophers!!

per the Marshall Independent:

There’s a renewed interest in the University of Minnesota football team around Marshall and the entire state these days.

It’s not just because Marshall High School graduates Blaise Andries and Drew Hmielewski are on the roster either (though that certainly doesn’t hurt).

The more likely reason for the spike in interest around town and across the state is PJ Fleck and the rest of the new coaching staff that was hired in January.

I know everything comes back to wins and losses. That’s always the case in competitive sports. But there are some people I’ve come across who only care about wins and losses, and don’t seem to care about the rest.

“More than football” was one of the things Fleck said he wants he program to be about. I guess some people just don’t like that.

That’s not my stance though. While I do believe this coaching staff can be successful on the field over its tenure at the University of Minnesota, it’s not why I support them as much as I do. I support PJ Fleck because he wants to make a difference in other people’s lives.

Quick success on the field coupled with the RTB culture could be the makings of a golden era for the Golden Gophers, a program that has won 10 games in a season just once since 1905. Last season was only the second time reaching nine wins in the same time frame.

I know many television sets around Marshall will be tuned in to check out a couple of former Marshall Tigers on the field this season in Andries and Hmielewski, but the team’s new culture is what could really set the program apart from many other teams around college football and is worth supporting.

https://www.marshallindependent.com...yond-the-sports-desk-makings-of-a-golden-era/

Go Gophers!!

I see Josh it trying his material out on GH before he puts it in the Marshall independent

Exciting times for sure

Really looking forward to this season and watching this program rise up over the next few years. Great time to be a Gopher fan

Top Bottom