Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by El Amin Fan View Post
    This is what "diehard" GOPers look and act like under today's GOP. This is the party of Ryan, McConnell, Trump, Pence, Cruz.

It's fun to connect something everyone opposes to people I don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The militias in the street are a show of force and a provocation. These are people who believe in the lost cause and that they can provoke another civil war.

If there's a bright side to the rise of Herr Trump and the emboldening of these groups, it's that he's flushed the cockroaches out into the light where we can see them and confront them. You do have to face your demons in order to defeat them. This is probably a necessary step.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    The thing is - I don't understand why cities feel they need to remove a Confederate Statue. It is part of history. Instead of removing it, use it as a teaching opportunity to discuss the history of the Confederacy, and the issues that led to the Civil War.
    The statues are less about the Civil War than about the continuation of white supremacy. This story about New Orleans sums it up:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orle...oval/441020814

Tomorrow, City officials will continue the process to remove the last remaining monument that prominently celebrates the “Lost Cause of the Confederacy.” The statues being removed were erected decades after the Civil War to celebrate the “Cult of the Lost Cause,” a movement recognized across the South as celebrating and promoting white supremacy. Mayor Landrieu is expected to make remarks tomorrow afternoon.

There are four prominent monuments in question. The Battle of Liberty Place monument, which was removed nearly four weeks ago, was erected by the Crescent City White League to remember the deadly insurrection led by white supremacists against the City’s racially integrated police department and government.

The bottom line: when racist idiots march, true conservatives/Republicans condemn and savagely make fun of them. Democrats invite them up on stage at their convention.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post

You remember when you posted a lashing in Iran as a fun way to connect Islam to something you don't like? Here is a pic in America in 2017.

IMG_3102.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post

Wrong ****ing time to be defending your jersey, asshat.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedave23 View Post
    I don't think I've ever read anything on gopher hole more spot on than these sentences. Ever.

The thing is - I don't understand why cities feel they need to remove a Confederate Statue. It is part of history. Instead of removing it, use it as a teaching opportunity to discuss the history of the Confederacy, and the issues that led to the Civil War.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=PzEBp9EV2pg
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedave23 View Post
    I don't think I've ever read anything on gopher hole more spot on than these sentences. Ever.

An awful lot of hate speech in this thread.
    Kingdom Warriors

The Statue is only a negative symbol if we allow it to become a negative symbol. Pretending the Civil War never happened, or that the Confederacy didn't exist, accomplishes nothing in my book. It's a bad approach. That is what bolsters the White Supremacy groups. Well-meaning people are actually handing the nuts an issue by trying to remove the statue, instead of using the statue as a way to explore real history and real issues.

It would be like trying to remove any example of WW2 or the Nazis. WW2 happened. The Nazis happened. Should we pretend they didn't happen to appease some people's feelings? The same thing with the art exhibit that referenced the mass execution of American Indians in Mankato. Some people were offended - so instead of using it as a teaching opportunity, they had to take the exhibit down and pretend like it never existed.

Not wanting to remove the statue does NOT mean that anyone is endorsing slavery. I'm just arguing that we should acknowledge history - not try to re-write it.

Unless you want to wind up like Winston Smith. (literary reference).
    A statue is generally honorific and permanent. People literally look up to it. These confederate statues were not erected as teachable symbols. They were erected as vestiges of slaveholder and white supremacy defiance. The confederate flag flying in southern state capitols and by I-75 in FL and GA is a symbol of the same thing.

The Civil War is a part of American history and it is important to find teaching opportunities to discuss the Confederacy and the issues that led to the war. Removing the statues is a teaching opportunity to discuss the post Civil War era, white supremacy and even how events of 150 years ago can lead to a Trump presidency and Alt Right militias in the streets of Charlottesville and other American cities.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    Removing the statues is a teaching opportunity to discuss the post Civil War era, white supremacy and even how events of 150 years ago can lead to a Trump presidency and Alt Right militias in the streets of Charlottesville and other American cities.
    As this fella demonstrates, we need not go back 150 years. There's no nuance. It's a pretty straight line from Calhoun through Wallace to today's Pepes.

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    Anyone else notice that the white nationalist racists were dressed up like they were going to a gay rights parade?
    Notice how you continue with your gay comments. Always a shot. There could be more to your deflections. You could have said dressed like the Carnival in Rio or Mardi Gras. Of course there is nothing wrong with these celebrations either and there is nothing wrong with a gay pride festival. Why the gay hate?
    As Donald Trump has proven over and over again you are never too rich to be white trash.

Quote Originally Posted by diehard View Post
    An awful lot of hate speech in this thread.
    Walk into a lot of the " Do Drop Inn's " in the South and you see the Confederate Flag mounted on the wall, or walls. You also see the " South shall rise again " It is like walking back in time. When Mason took the Gophers to the Music City Bowl against Bama the Band was told not to do " The
    Swinging Gate" Going down for Breakfast Saturday morning at the Marriott, we ran into Glen and his wife Kate on the elevator. I said:" Mase, the Gophers won the Battles of the Bands last night, and it wasn't even close" Mase laughed, and said: " No way the Gophers get the nod with all those Bama crazy fans waving those flags" If had a dollar for every time we were called Yankees, it would've paid for one night at the hotel. Walking to the Stadium from the parking lot before the game my oldest daughter saw all the Confederate flags on vehicles and said: " Dad, this is totally gross"... Ya-all come back now" Right, fu-k-em...

So much hate upper. So much hate.
    Kingdom Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by maroonfive View Post
    Notice how you continue with your gay comments. Always a shot. There could be more to your deflections. You could have said dressed like the Carnival in Rio or Mardi Gras. Of course there is nothing wrong with these celebrations either and there is nothing wrong with a gay pride festival. Why the gay hate?
    Gay hate? How do you figure? Why so defensive? I thought only bigoted alt-rights would take offense. Guess I underestimated your hate.
    Kingdom Warriors

Who is James Alex Fields Jr.?
    Kingdom Warriors