RB David Cobb to work out with Vikings after Bishop Sankey injury - TwinCities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
Former University of Minnesota running back David Cobb said Friday he will work out with the Vikings on Saturday.

The Vikings are looking for a replacement for Bishop Sankey. A source said the running back suffered a torn right ACL in Thursday’s preseason opener at Buffalo and is out for the season.

“It would definitely be a dream come true,” Cobb said of signing with the Vikings. “I’m always confident, but it will be up to (the Vikings).”

Cobb rushed for 146 yards as a rookie with Tennessee in 2015. He spent time last year on Pittsburgh’s practice squad and was on Chicago’s roster earlier this year.

Interestingly, Cobb was teammates with Sankey on the Titans in 2015. Sankey was hurt in the third quarter Thursday and helped off the field.

“When I cut, I felt something,” Sankey said after the game.

Sankey was on crutches and wearing a brace as he left New Era Field. An MRI on Friday revealed the torn ACL.

The Vikings are thin at running back. In addition to Sankey being hurt, Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon were unable to play against the Bills.

Murray practiced for the first time last Monday since undergoing surgery March 22 on his right ankle. McKinnon has been bothered by a right leg injury. He has been practicing some but said he’s not 100 percent.

Cobb rushed for a Gophers season-record 1,626 yeards in 2014. He was taken by the Titans in the fifth round of the 2015 draft.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/1...gs-after-bishop-sankey-injury/?obref=obinsite

Former University of Minnesota running back David Cobb said Friday he will work out with the Vikings on Saturday.

The Vikings are looking for a replacement for Bishop Sankey. A source said the running back suffered a torn right ACL in Thursday’s preseason opener at Buffalo and is out for the season.

“It would definitely be a dream come true,” Cobb said of signing with the Vikings. “I’m always confident, but it will be up to (the Vikings).”

Cobb rushed for 146 yards as a rookie with Tennessee in 2015. He spent time last year on Pittsburgh’s practice squad and was on Chicago’s roster earlier this year.

Interestingly, Cobb was teammates with Sankey on the Titans in 2015. Sankey was hurt in the third quarter Thursday and helped off the field.

“When I cut, I felt something,” Sankey said after the game.

Sankey was on crutches and wearing a brace as he left New Era Field. An MRI on Friday revealed the torn ACL.

The Vikings are thin at running back. In addition to Sankey being hurt, Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon were unable to play against the Bills.

Murray practiced for the first time last Monday since undergoing surgery March 22 on his right ankle. McKinnon has been bothered by a right leg injury. He has been practicing some but said he’s not 100 percent.

Cobb rushed for a Gophers season-record 1,626 yeards in 2014. He was taken by the Titans in the fifth round of the 2015 draft.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/1...gs-after-bishop-sankey-injury/?obref=obinsite

Cobb is a player, he just needs a chance to show it.
Players like Cobb get better the more carries they have.

I hope he gets some more chances and has success, as he is one of the Best Ball Carriers the Gophers have had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope he gets a good shot. Glad they are giving him a try. I just wonder if it's speed or elusiveness that is holding him back.

I always liked how hard he ran.

he was never that fast, or really that talented, but the guy is a baller, and can be shifty af, would love to watch him in a couple preseason games
i feel like he was good in college because he took advantage of poor tacklers, not a lot of those in the nfl

he was never that fast, or really that talented, but the guy is a baller, and can be shifty af, would love to watch him in a couple preseason games
i feel like he was good in college because he took advantage of poor tacklers, not a lot of those in the nfl

IMO, DC27 had elite vision and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, DC27 had elite vision and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Will be interesting to see if his speed and quickness are up to NFL standards, because he's 100% ready from a vision and patience standpoint. Probably the best I have ever seen in that regard.

I get where you come from.
Count the missed tackles here though and you might see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSHhWohBk1c
also, our line in 2014 was seriously underrated.

You see missed tackles. I see a guy with a strong forearm and strong lower leg power to roll through arm tackles. He also has an ability to not be where you thought he was going. A subtle change of direction that creates a poor tackling angle. Not so much maybe in the clips but how many times did Cobb make the first guy miss? And very often that first missed tackle was in the backfield. One of the most impressive things our former coaching staff did was give Cobb the dang ball over and over repeatedly in games. Elite vision and patience. Power and toughness. A relentless will to get stronger as the game was on the line. I'll disagree and say combining all that makes him pretty talented.

Hope he does well and can stick on the roster

Would be nice to have a Gopher shine on the Vikings

I remember Sylvester Croom not being impressed with Cobb's work ethic:

Croom on Cobb: “I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts. But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn’t quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There’s no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...is-Backs/96ba7e54-2834-4c1f-8af7-c507aa4b8fc0

Vikings sign running back Bronson Hill over David Cobb - TwinCities.com

He didn't get the spot.

The Vikings signed running back Bronson Hill on Saturday to replace the injured Bishop Sankey.

Hill had worked out along with former University of Minnesota running back David Cobb, and the Vikings went with Hill.

Hill replaces on the roster Sankey, who was waived with an injury designation after suffering a season-ending knee injury in Thursday’s 17-10 win over Buffalo in the preseason opener. After Sankey, who suffered a torn right ACL, clears waivers, he will go on injured reserve.

Hill was undrafted in 2015 out of Eastern Michigan and has had NFL stints with Buffalo, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, Cincinnati and Jacksonville. He got his only NFL action in the 2016 finale for the Jaguars, carrying two times for 11 yards.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/12/vikings-sign-running-back-bronson-hill-over-david-cobb/

The guy's hopped around and has barely touched the ball.

I remember Sylvester Croom not being impressed with Cobb's work ethic:

Croom on Cobb: “I like his natural running ability, his natural running instincts. But he has a long way to go. He has to learn how to be a pro as far as work ethic, taking care of his body, getting in here early and doing the little things it takes to be a pro. He still hasn’t quite learned what being professional means, so he has to learn that. There’s no scholarships here, and his work ethic has to be better. He has to learn to practice like you play in a game. Once he does that, he has a chance to be a good football player.”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/ar...is-Backs/96ba7e54-2834-4c1f-8af7-c507aa4b8fc0

I'm surprised to hear this about Cobb. I thought he would do the little things you need to do at the next level.

Top Bottom