54,147; 52,823; 53,917 ;54,062; 50,789 ;47,976; 52,850

swingman

Reaction score
TCF crowds for 2015 season.

We are one season removed from selling TCF out six times.

Interest and support for Gopher football is out there.

TCF crowds for 2015 season.

We are one season removed from selling TCF out six times.

Interest and support for Gopher football is out there.

Would be interesting to see scanned ticket numbers. I know they are available, the guys over at GPL do a summary at the end of each hockey season.

Would be interesting to see scanned ticket numbers. I know they are available, the guys over at GPL do a summary at the end of each hockey season.
Are suggesting the stadium wasn't as full as the numbers indicate? It was.

Of course, we had Nebraska and Wisconsin on the schedule, with many of those fans buying two or three packs, whichever they sold that year. And it was just the first year of higher prices, coming off the Citrus Bowl. But the stadium was pretty much full most games. The Illinois game might be the only exception.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Games were quite a bit better than last season IMO

TCU
Kent St.
Ohio (Homecoming)
Nebraska
Michigan
Illinois
Iowa

I give swingman credit. Different than his usual posts where he basically just lists the eligibility of each of our players

Are suggesting the stadium wasn't as full as the numbers indicate? It was.

Of course, we had Nebraska and Wisconsin on the schedule, with many of those fans buying two or three packs, whichever they sold that year. And it was just the first year of higher prices, coming off the Citrus Bowl. But the stadium was pretty much full most games. The Illinois game might be the only exception.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Michigan and TCU helped as well

I give swingman credit. Different than his usual posts where he basically just lists the eligibility of each of our players

Says the guy who joined in January of 17...swingman has been on since 2010. Is this the high quality posts that allow you to have so many posts in a such a short time?

Stick to golfing rather than these types of insightful posts.

Back to the OP, I have to agree with what others have said, it was an exceptional year for home games. Nebby travels as well as any school in the BiG and Wisky is well Wisky and you add in the usual strong turnout by the Hawks and you can see good numbers fast.

If PJF does that with a poor home slate of games then you know fan turnout is strong and into the program again. Winning of course helps as this town loves a winner!

Twin Cities fans - and MN fans by extension - are band-wagon jumpers. If a team gets hot, or starts drawing a lot of attention in the media, the casual or curious fans will start showing up to see what the buzz is about. If they like what they see, they might stick around.

Unfortunately, whenever the Gophers FB program has been able to generate some of that buzz in the past, something always happens to deflate the balloon. A 4th-quarter collapse - coach forced to retire for medical reasons - bad publicity from off-field incident, etc. etc. etc.

So, if Fleck can generate some buzz for Gopher FB, and if the team can play well, then some more people might show up at the games. the real trick will be to keep those bandwagon jumpers coming back - and maybe even convert them to season ticket holders.

That's a lot of ifs.

Attendance for the 2017 home campaign will all come down to two things: how the team is performing and weather.

Early season games vs. Buffalo, Middle Tennessee and Maryland are very unlikely to break 50,000 without nice weather and a 2-0 or 3-0 start.

Towards the middle of the schedule we get Michigan State and Illinois at home, the latter for Homecoming at 2:30 PM. With a a 5-0 or 4-1 start the Illinois/Homecoming game should be a sellout. And I think Michigan State quickly trends towards a sellout if we enter the game at 4-0 and it gets bumped to a 2:30 kickoff.

Towards the end of the season the Nebraska game will likely sellout with the help of the Huskers' fans. Northwestern in November is always a tough sell for casual fans, so without a strong record attendance will likely be sparse. And finally Wisconsin should sellout if a division title is on the line, or if the weather is nice and we are still competitive (7-4 or better).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attendance for the 2017 home campaign will all come down to two things: how the team is performing and weather.

Early season games vs. Buffalo, Middle Tennessee and Maryland are very unlikely to break 50,000 without nice weather and a 2-0 or 3-0 start.

Towards the middle of the schedule we get Michigan State and Illinois at home, the latter for Homecoming at 2:30 PM. With a a 5-0 or 4-1 start the Illinois/Homecoming game should be a sellout. And I think Michigan State quickly trends towards a sellout if we enter the game at 4-0 and it gets bumped to a 2:30 kickoff.

Towards the end of the season the Nebraska game will likely sellout with the help of the Huskers' fans. Northwestern in November is always a tough sell for casual fans, so without a strong record attendance will likely be sparse. And finally Wisconsin should sellout if a division title is on the line, or if the weather is nice and we are still competitive (7-4 or better).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure jNW is a road game this year, and I have a hard time believing our record will influence the attendance of the Buffalo game. I agree with your overall point, though.

Pretty sure jNW is a road game this year, and I have a hard time believing our record will influence the attendance of the Buffalo game. I agree with your overall point, though.

Yes it is, my mistake.

And I lumped Buffalo in the "beginning of season" paragraph in a failed attempt to keep the post short. Oops.

Top Bottom