AP: 16-year-old killed when log falls on him during football drill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

A high school football player performing a drill used by the U.S. Navy SEALs for conditioning was killed Thursday when the log he and teammates were carrying fatally struck him in the head, police said.

Joshua Mileto, 16, was taking part in a preseason exercise camp with the Sachem East High School football team when the accident occurred at the school on eastern Long Island, according to Suffolk County homicide detectives. No other injuries were reported.

The team was participating in the exercise camp before the official start of team training on Monday. The football season begins in September.

Carlin Schledorn, a Sachem East graduate who played football as a junior, said carrying the log, which is about 12 feet long and the diameter of a utility pole, was an exercise used for "team building."

"It's very big. It's like a tree, and it's a challenge for people who weightlift," he said outside his home, which is near the high school. "Five or six people do it at once. I feel horrific for the team and coaches because I know them and they are all great men."

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/20305333/high-schooler-dies-log-falls-football-drill

Doesn't seem like a great idea to have high schoolers doing exercises meant for Navy SEALS. Not many 5 foot 6 134 pound Navy Seals.

Doesn't seem like a great idea to have high schoolers doing exercises meant for Navy SEALS. Not many 5 foot 6 134 pound Navy Seals.

My thought as well. Some of these coaches truly need their heads examined.

Maybe they can give up on the tree and.... oh, let's bring a stump into the locker room with an axe and get "chopping wood". Use that for a team builder. Nothing could go wrong there.

Log drills are common place, not just with SEALs. It is not uncommon for females to participate.

This was a terrible accident, but could be a good drill for HS football.

What a tragedy! My thoughts will be with the young man and his family, friends, schoolmates, and school faculty. ...Poor kid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Log drills are common place, not just with SEALs. It is not uncommon for females to participate.

This was a terrible accident, but could be a good drill for HS football.
Correct. Freak accident.

Abesent of proof of negligence somewhere this is just a sad story

It was a freak accident, but totally unnecessary to be having kids carrying a log overhead. There isn't anything football related to that particular activity.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, teammates, and coaches of this kid and team.

It was a freak accident, but totally unnecessary to be having kids carrying a log overhead. There isn't anything football related to that particular activity.
Thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends, teammates, and coaches of this kid and team.

Navy seal training is about building toughness and teamwork. Which are both very football related.

Navy seal training is about building toughness and teamwork. Which are both very football related.

There are so many other ways to build toughness and teamwork without endangering the lives of HS kids. Leave the Navy Seal training to the Navy Seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not SEAL training, but training used by SEALs, in addition to many Army units that routinely include females, because of its high value in team building. Something incredibly bad happened and none of know what went wrong in this drill. Drilled with logs for years without incident. It is high value training.

Top Bottom